TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"safe" tire stores for your X or S in SF east bay

Discussion in 'California' started by Volkl7, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Volkl7

Volkl7 Member

Apparently due to my driving tendencies, I need new tires at 13.5k miles. Tesla has very few options and a slight upcharge on whatever they do have. So I am looking at other options such as Costco or even America's Tires. The jacking procedure doesn't seem that complicated, however, I'd hate to be the first Tesla that's available for someone to experiment on.
    Any insight on bay area stores would be much appreciated.

2. DIL

DIL Member

I just had a poor experience with Big O tires in Danville. Don't go there.

Good luck.

3. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

• Like x 1
  4. gregd

gregd Active Member

I had a nail hole patched on my Roadster earlier this year. Went to the local Les Schwab Tires here in Auburn, with some trepidation... I told the sales associate that if the car wasn't jacked properly that they could total the car, and that got their attention!

Service manager did the repair, all properly (he was familiar with the issue) while I watched from a distance, and all went well. Happy customer.

5. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

I'm getting new tires at Costco here in SD this week. I made almost 20k miles on mine. They said they've done a lot of Teslas. I hope it will be fine. If it's not, I'll be sure to post back. But what is the problem with being "jacked properly"?

6. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I'm not an expert on this, but there are specific points for them to lift the car...if they lift in the wrong place they can severely damage the battery pack. If you have SAS (which I guess is required on a SP90D?) they need to set Very High suspension and Jack mode (to prevent the car from trying to level itself when it's on the lift). It's all in the owner's manual (p. 158 on the hardcopy sheet I have in front of me).

Bruce.

• Helpful x 1
  7. JPP

JPP Active Member

I second Bruce's recommendation. I have had my older S there for new tires and interval rotations. They are nice, professional (...but they do like their music in the shop loud...:), focused on tires (no upsell for brakes, alignment, etc), efficient. No worries working on the S (they have the Jack Mode and proper blocking down). I would maybe go in with a very good idea of what tire you want, and call first to see if they have the tires (as some sizes/brands are special order). Also get a matching price from Tire Rack--they will honor as appropriate. You can make an appointment by phone or on line. All good.

8. Volkl7

Volkl7 Member

Good to hear about the walnut creek America's Tires. It's 5 minutes from my house and I've been there in the past.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.