Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to disconnect new 12V (15.5V) Lithium Ion battery for OBDII Harness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new 2022 M3 with the new 12V (also called 15.5V) lithium battery and I'm looking at installing an ODB2 harness (for scan my Tesla). I read the best way to disconnect the 12V battery and then disconnect the gray connector under the rear seat before connecting the harness. Does anyone know if this will be problematic with the new 12V lithium battery tesla includes in the new 2022 models? A tear down video of one of those batteries mentions it uses LIN to communicate with the VCFRONT so I wasn't sure if there would be faults thrown or something.

I thought the proper process was to shut down the car from the UI, with some doors open, and wait a few minutes. I tried that but I'm almost sure my car never shut down properly, and I didn't have issues either. I never heard that you had to unplug the 12V. Anyway, if the car is awake, there's still 12V power from the converter that's used to charge the 12V as far as I know.

Reactions: Stan930
the best way to keep the car shut down is,

-lower the front driver window and close door
-lower the right rear passenger window all the way down and close door
-shut off the car via the screen
-when the screen is off and the car is shut down, reach inside the right rear passenger window and remove the harness from the penthouse. of course make sure the seat is pulled up and out of the way. this ensures the car does not wake up.

Brings up a question: Is the connector for the OBDII harness still in the back of the console or has it moved some somewhere else. I need to do the same and have not researched where it is in a 2022...

the best way to keep the car shut down is,

-lower the front driver window and close door
-lower the right rear passenger window all the way down and close door
-shut off the car via the screen
-when the screen is off and the car is shut down, reach inside the right rear passenger window and remove the harness from the penthouse. of course make sure the seat is pulled up and out of the way. this ensures the car does not wake up.
Wouldn't you also need to remove connection to the 12V battery?

Putting the car to sleep does not shut down 12V voltage, it just keeps the main battery from coming online - mostly. If you want to truly shutdown all power you need to:

1. Open the drivers door and power down the car via the screen, then wait 5-minutes
  2. Discount the high voltage responders loop. If you don’t the computer may see the battery voltage as low and power-up to recharge it
  3. Physically disconnect the battery
To restore, just work backwards.

But I suggest this is likely overkill.

lol here is my point --

if you turn off the car via the screen then you go to the back and open the door to remove the penthouse plug, the car wakes up. if you dont want to have it wake up, then follow my instructions. yes you can then remove the 12v or whatever you need to do once you do all of that. it should go without saying to open up the front trunk before you do any of this as well.

to follow up to the above,

i never "discounted" the responder loop :D
i never waited 5 minutes or any amount of minutes to remove the penthouse plug
i DID roll down the windows at the driver and rear right passenger to access the penthouse plug through the window.

i only had to do these steps when i had the first gen ohmmu battery as it was giving errors preventing software updates. this is why i am an expert :p at unplugging things in this ikea car.. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: ATPMSD
Let me correct what I said - if the car is not activley charging the 12v battery when you disconnect the 12v battery then it will NOT come online. However, if the 12v battery is being charged when disconnecting the 12v battery, the charging circuit may remain active which means the 12v circuit may remain powered.

Reactions: android04
If you do not disconnect the loop the main battery can come online and supply power to the 12v system. All the how to battery replacement explanations, including ohmmu, state to discount the loop. There is no harm in disconnecting the loop.
Ohmmu doesn't talk about the high voltage loop for the model 3 in their install manual; they say disconnect the negative of the 12V lead acid, and then disconnect the gray connector on top of the penthouse under the rear seat. (Granted, disconnecting the gray connector might be accomplishing the same thing as the first responder loop)

This matches the instructions from the official 2019 model 3 service manual for 12V power disconnection:
1. Disconnect any charging cable.
2. On the touchscreen, power off the climate control system, and wait at least 30 seconds for the climate control system to completely shut down.
3. Make sure the vehicle is in Park.
4. Fully lower all door windows to avoid glass shatter and door lockout conditions.
5. Open the LH and RH rear doors, and then pass a shop towel halfway through each door striker to prevent the latch from securing.
6. Remove the 2nd row lower seat cushion.
7. Remove the rear underhood apron.
8. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Vehicle Power > Power Off.
9. Loosen the nut that attaches the 12V negative cable to the battery, and then disconnect the cable from the battery.
10. Remove foam cover from the RH side of the penthouse.
11. Disconnect the electrical harness from the high voltage controller connector. (the HV battery positive contractor and negative contractor open with a clunk sound).

That all being said, my original question was how these above steps change for 2022 Model 3 (and model Ys) with the new 12V lithium battery. My guess is it's just that step 9 is replaced with something like disconnect the 12V lithium battery connector. But I wanted to know if anyone had additional insight.

11. Disconnect the electrical harness from the high voltage controller connector. (the HV battery positive contractor and negative contractor open with a clunk sound).

Interesting. It seems like in the model 3 they built the HV disconnect into this disconnect. So it appears you do not need to pull the first responder loop as a seperate action, but you are essentially doing it when you perform step 11. Always something new to learn!

Reactions: ev_go123
Seems like this would be a good place to plug in my OBDII bluetooth adapter for Scan My Tesla and not have to use an adapter harness...
...if it exists!

[I'm looking into this because I'm thinking of buying a HUDWAY Drive Tesla version, and don't want to have to run wires to the 12V accessory socket!]

Seems like this would be a good place to plug in my OBDII bluetooth adapter for Scan My Tesla and not have to use an adapter harness...

Pretty sure the OBD connector will not give you access to anything except an unswitched 12v power source. I think you need to connect to the CAN bus for things like Scan My Tesla

Pretty sure the OBD connector will not give you access to anything except an unswitched 12v power source. I think you need to connect to the CAN bus for things like Scan My Tesla

The document linked in my post shows a connector with the following pinout:
The SAE J1962 connector offers a third-party CAN bus interface on Pin 6 and Pin 14. Additionally, chassis ground is available on Pin 4 and Pin 5, and 12V+ is available on Pin 3 and Pin 16.

...if it exists!

[I'm looking into this because I'm thinking of buying a HUDWAY Drive Tesla version, and don't want to have to run wires to the 12V accessory socket!]
Another link to a service manual showing an OBD connector on a Model 3 in the driver footwell. (this one says APAC only, but that may predate 2020)

Not sure how to remove the clips (they look like some sort of plastic rivet?)