Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to disconnect new 12V (15.5V) Lithium Ion battery for OBDII Harness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another link to a service manual showing an OBD connector on a Model 3 in the driver footwell. (this one says APAC only, but that may predate 2020)

Not sure how to remove the clips (they look like some sort of plastic rivet?)
Oh wow, didn't know someone was hosting this manual, that's very helpful (wonder if tesla will issue a take down on it).

I'll check out the cover on my 2022 M3 when I get a chance to see if it's got the connector.

Reactions: pbar
OK, so I am going to disconnect the 12v and HV so I can swap out my steering wheel without fear of getting a faceful of airbag. After reading this thread, safe to assume that disconnecting power doesn't cause the car to lose memory settings, etc? I don't think it does, but just making sure before I dive in.

If you swop out the steering wheel aren’t you losing the center airbag?
I am no safety expert, but isn’t the center airbag on the steering wheel there for a reason?
Added weight. JK. No, what I said was I am swapping the steering wheel for another one, which requires removing the airbag module to get to the bolt that holds the steering wheel on. I didn't say I was permanently getting rid of my airbag.

Added weight. JK. No, what I said was I am swapping the steering wheel for another one, which requires removing the airbag module to get to the bolt that holds the steering wheel on. I didn't say I was permanently getting rid of my airbag.
Perhaps the steering wheel looks nicer in your opinion, but aren’t you setting yourself up for voiding your warranty?
I can image what Tesla service will say when they see that wheel. Good luck.