Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

safe to supercharging majority of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just brought a new Model X LR+ with free supercharging. When covid 19 is over, I work right next to a free supercharging.. I’ve been really various reports and data online and YouTube about battery degradation for supercharging too much. Just curious for X owners out there that have unlimited super charging and you’ve used it 2/3 for charging, what kind or degradation are you seeing? Thanks

Does the nearby Supercharger happen to be an 72kW Urban Supercharger? These are a solid white monolith that are a little shorter than the typical 150kW Superchargers. Due to the slower charge rate, an Urban Supercharger will be less stressful for the battery.

I just brought a new Model X LR+ with free supercharging. When covid 19 is over, I work right next to a free supercharging.. I’ve been really various reports and data online and YouTube about battery degradation for supercharging too much. Just curious for X owners out there that have unlimited super charging and you’ve used it 2/3 for charging, what kind or degradation are you seeing? Thanks

That's what I hear as well. I can't speak to anyone else's degradation and I don't know what would be considered abnormal degradation.

But for reference, I supercharge once every 1-2 days. On occasion, I'll supercharge multiple times a day. Generally I charge to 80% if I'm on the move. 90% to 99% if I'm occupied while it charges (restaurant, meeting, etc.).

My out of warranty car has a range degradation of 8%. When the car was purchased new, it had already shown 2% less range than rated. My percentages are based upon the original range numbers and does not account for any software changes (looking at you 2019.16.1!) that ended up reducing range.

I have a 2020 LR+ with an estimated range of 353. I charge exclusively at a SC and with 1,500 miles on the odometer I am observing 0 degradation so far. Not surprising since it's still fairly new but thought I would share. I charge almost exclusively at a 72kW SC and charge to 80/90%.

It's a great feeling knowing I'm not paying for gas or even electricity at this point. Curious to see what other users have observed.

Again, a small sample with 1,500 miles but my TeslaFi app says I've gained range. Minuscule so don't think too much of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.52.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 12.52.17 PM.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Electric700
Again, a small sample with 1,500 miles but my TeslaFi app says I've gained range. Minuscule so don't think too much of it.

Good to see that. It would be nice if the trend continued so when you're ready for a new Tesla at some point in the future, your car will have actually increased its maximum range. That probably won't happen but it would be an amazing thing if batteries actually got better with age.

I had the same question when I bought my X in 2018. After a bit of googling, I ran across an excellent research paper out of Europe that had followed hundreds of Teslas in various charging scenarios - and their conclusion was there was zero correlation between the frequency of supercharging and measurable battery degradation. You will find people that (emphatically) say that frequent supercharging is bad due to some anecdotal evidence they have conjured up, but my take is that Tesla engineers have built a battery technology and charging network that just plain work. Reliably. No need to sweat the details of charging other than to avoid charging past 90% unless you have an imminent trip planned.

I have a model S with 216k miles on the odometer. It has mostly been supercharged at least four days a week. I get an estimated 100% of 246 now. That's less degradation than most of the cars out there with 100K miles. It's also important to note that Tesla now limits charging on superchargers to around 70kw regardless now. New software charges so slowly in the last 10% that it's hardly worth calling that part of your range! Unless you have it charging overnight. still, I'm quite happy and amazed that this battery with that many miles on it still works so well. not that I don't have a great hope that it will die in the next two years before my warranty expires! Wouldn't mind a new battery.

Reactions: SUP THO
I have a model S with 216k miles on the odometer. It has mostly been supercharged at least four days a week. I get an estimated 100% of 246 now. That's less degradation than most of the cars out there with 100K miles. It's also important to note that Tesla now limits charging on superchargers to around 70kw regardless now. New software charges so slowly in the last 10% that it's hardly worth calling that part of your range! Unless you have it charging overnight. still, I'm quite happy and amazed that this battery with that many miles on it still works so well. not that I don't have a great hope that it will die in the next two years before my warranty expires! Wouldn't mind a new battery.

What was your original range limit?

I'm also surprised you're still capped. I got capped to 90kw for supercharging too frequently, but during one of the software updates the cap was removed and I'm charging at what appears to be normal now.

What was your original range limit?

I'm also surprised you're still capped. I got capped to 90kw for supercharging too frequently, but during one of the software updates the cap was removed and I'm charging at what appears to be normal now.

I bought it with about 38,000 miles on it. It was still charging to around 256 at 100%. Not that I didn that much back then. Supercharging routinely was at 120 kilowatt when it started. Obviously a tapered off but nothing like it does now!