Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to tint windshield yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Phoenix valley so not tinting the windshield (will go with minimum - just want the IR) is really not an option but I am willing to wait until a solution is found. Earlier this year, when the issue first arose, Tesla said they would implement a fix in future manufactured cars (but not retro-active). My Tesla was manufactured in October this year so I was wondering if anyone knew if this has been addressed yet? Did they cover those offending Molex connectors below the A columns?

IMO you are likely fine if you go to a tint shop that takes care to soak up excess water and doesn't just drown the dash carelessly. I tried to find out if anything had changed in the dash myself a few months ago and finally just went with a known good tint shop. All is fine.

Reactions: Pkmmte and naiyanab
Are you going to pay OP's repair bill if you are wrong ?

Myth....the component Tesla is claiming gets damaged is fully encased, my guess was faulty part. A few drops of water wouldn't damage it. We have tinted over 350 model 3 windshields, granted we don't flood the dash board and windshield with water and take care, as we do with any car, to ensure water doesn't go all over.

Myth....the component Tesla is claiming gets damaged is fully encased, my guess was faulty part. A few drops of water wouldn't damage it. We have tinted over 350 model 3 windshields, granted we don't flood the dash board and windshield with water and take care, as we do with any car, to ensure water doesn't go all over.
No myth. At least one tint company I went to refused to tint my windshield because the tint manufacturer refused to accept liability for damages (and the tint company sure was not willing to be on the hook) after (IIRC) two cases of damages.

So like the other poster, you can put your money where your mouth is or I will treat your optimism with the (dis)respect it deserves. From your post it sounds like you are going to blame Tesla if electronics are damaged after you tint a car and refuse to cover damages. Right ?

Nope. A few days before the winter tyres arrived. Was my point clear ?
Point was clear, but it's still a myth that it causes any issues except a few anecdotal stories and likely a non-skilled window tinter. My local place first refused only because they heard rumors on reddit.

Need to use something like a windshield tinting rope to soak up the water.

Reactions: SigNC
No myth. At least one tint company I went to refused to tint my windshield because the tint manufacturer refused to accept liability for damages (and the tint company sure was not willing to be on the hook) after (IIRC) two cases of damages.

So like the other poster, you can put your money where your mouth is or I will treat your optimism with the (dis)respect it deserves. From your post it sounds like you are going to blame Tesla if electronics are damaged after you tint a car and refuse to cover damages. Right ?

Easy Tiger...As I pointed out my company has done well over 350 windshields, not a problem. I have seen the 4" by 6" component Tesla says can be damaged ( would you like to see a picture?). Like i said fully encased. Not a chance a few drops of water damage it. However, if that ever happened or if it was a question of who takes responsibility of course my company would pay for it. Still remains a myth, same as "can't tint Model X windshield in one piece" or Model 3 rear window in one piece", yes I can put my money where my mouth is. Are you an experienced tinter?

@dougatconcours I'd like to see a pic if you have one handy. I've been quite curious about what part people claimed was exposed.

IMG_3732.jpeg

Top view. Attached as seen to the Firewall. Pretty tough for a few drops of water to destroy it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jivas and SigNC
it's still a myth that it causes any issues except a few anecdotal stories and likely a non-skilled window tinter.
Anecdotes do not a myth make;
You have no evidence whatsoever that unskilled work lead to damages.

My experience was trying to get 3m tint on my windshield. Although I cannot find the letter now, I READ the manufacturer letter to installers telling them not to install on the Model 3 front windshield.

OK. I decided to pop the side panel below the A column to take a look and found what I think is the problematic connector. I can see how the wire bundle can guide water into it. So I think I've answered my original question - October builds still have the exposed connector which was cited as the cause of failure. I think I will wrap it with electrical tape and/or stuff some absorbent material in the cavity above to improve my odds before taking the car in for the tint.
connector.jpg