Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to use a 12V inverter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Sorry for posting this twice, but didn't get a response when I asked in this thread: How much power from 12 V power outlet?

In that thread, VolkerP warned:

"One Roadster was damaged by using an inverter, Tesla claimed that line noise destroyed some 12V circuitry and initially it looked like the customer had to bear the cost (they changed their mind afterwards and handled it under warranty)
WARNING: Do not plug an AC inverter into your 12VDC socket!!"

My question:

Is it safe to use something like: Amazon.com: BESTEK 150w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger Dual USB 3.1A 1511C: Cell Phones Accessories ?

---------------------------------

Update: Yes, the inverter linked to above does work - my car did not blow up =)

Last edited:
My service manager told me it is (and I quoted the bit about the Roadster). I have yet to try it. I was actually "shopping" for a nice true sine-wave inverter today ... wish I'd had it on last weekend's road trip! Would certainly like to know if anyone else has tried. (Who wants to be first? hehe)

My service manager told me it is (and I quoted the bit about the Roadster). I have yet to try it. I was actually "shopping" for a nice true sine-wave inverter today ... wish I'd had it on last weekend's road trip! Would certainly like to know if anyone else has tried. (Who wants to be first? hehe)

Thanks, cinergi. I have the one that I linked to in my OP sitting right here next to me, but don't have the guts to try it before I hear from some people on here!

Too bad Tesla didn't build one in. Even my little Pontiac Vibe has one on the dash:

IMG_4570.JPG