Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to use the Mobile Charger as full time unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone leave their Mobile Charger plugged into 240V 14-50 socket all the time and does the MC stay on (green light) when the puck is not inserted into the car?

I noticed mine stays green and warm to the touch unless I unplug it.

I'm interested in making my mobile charger a full time charging station.

Does anyone leave their Mobile Charger plugged into 240V 14-50 socket all the time and does the MC stay on (green light) when the puck is not inserted into the car?

I keep mine plugged in all the time (same as you, 14-50 outlet). Light stay green, but is not warm to the touch unless actively charging. That said, I’m in WA and my garage is around 50 F. Might be slightly warmer to the touch if I lived in say FL ;)

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I use a Gen 1 as it charges at the full 40A. It draws about 1W. (And yes the light on that one stays on as well.)

IMG_20190527_091900.jpg

Most people do, especially Model 3 owners.

Mine stays plugged in, except when we go on a road trip, when I pack it.

9 months now plugged in. Bought a v1 model from an S owner and use it in the garage fora 40 amp charge. I keep the v2 in the trunk in case I need it on the road.

Biggest issue I'd think is plugging and unplugging from the outlet. Many store bought 50 amp outlets are designed well for multiple connect/disconnect and reconnects.

So I left it plugged in since Friday and the unit does cool down a little while after I remove the puck from the car. I even left it plugged into the car overnight in the rain though I sheltered it a bit by angling the car so the charge port was underneath the garage over hang. I was expecting to install a Tesla 240V wall charger, but since its no longer sold guess this will do. It's been working out well so far.

So I left it plugged in since Friday and the unit does cool down a little while after I remove the puck from the car. I even left it plugged into the car overnight in the rain though I sheltered it a bit by angling the car so the charge port was underneath the garage over hang. I was expecting to install a Tesla 240V wall charger, but since its no longer sold guess this will do. It's been working out well so far.
You mean a Wall Connector with a built-in 14-50 plug? You can always install a dryer/range replacement plug.

CF6BF1AD-A55D-4A14-89BC-4C53EB9D925D.png