Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe way to buy a pre-owned Tesla from out-of-state - URGENT HELP PLEASE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which part or side of the Title do you get notarized? Sorry, I never heard about getting the title notarized.. thank you for your help.

Perhaps it's different from state to state, but in NC, the back of the title has the form to transfer ownership of the vehicle. On that form is the notary public info as well. It must be notarized at the time of signing over the vehicle to be valid. I just looked at my title to confirm.

Florida has a sketchy reputation for auto sales. Be careful.

I would fly to meet the seller. Inspect the car and if satisfactory you both go to the bank and transfer funds. Then both go to local DMV and transfer ownership.

Then either drive the car home or take it to a pre arranged shipper, then Uber to airport and fly home. Get a copy of the sellers drivers license and current insurance just in case.

Reactions: Akikiki
Florida has a sketchy reputation for auto sales. Be careful.

I would fly to meet the seller. Inspect the car and if satisfactory you both go to the bank and transfer funds. Then both go to local DMV and transfer ownership.

Then either drive the car home or take it to a pre arranged shipper, then Uber to airport and fly home. Get a copy of the sellers drivers license and current insurance just in case.
Thank you so much Paul and Zarwin. Why do you have to go into the FL's DMV to transfer ownership? I thought I get the Title signed from the current owner and take it to my state (Texas) DMV to get it transferred? not the right way to do?

You should be able to transfer the title in TX, check with your DMV. You would not want to pay Florida sales tax.
I bought a Model S in Florida and drove it to Houston where I have family and shipped to AZ from there. AZ does not charge sales tax on private party sales. The previous owner allowed me to use his license plate and I sent it back to him after I got the car home. I understand it is a big deal to not turn in your license plate in Florida, so there needs to be some trust from the seller. Not a big ask if your buying the car from him in my opinion.

You should be able to transfer the title in TX, check with your DMV. You would not want to pay Florida sales tax.
I bought a Model S in Florida and drove it to Houston where I have family and shipped to AZ from there. AZ does not charge sales tax on private party sales. The previous owner allowed me to use his license plate and I sent it back to him after I got the car home. I understand it is a big deal to not turn in your license plate in Florida, so there needs to be some trust from the seller. Not a big ask if your buying the car from him in my opinion.
Yes, I plan to register in Texas. which states do not have a sale tax on private party sales? That would a huge plus for buyers!