Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safelite Repair & FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question: I'm taking my car into Safelite to get the front windshield replaced and they let me know about the calibration and the requirement to drive it. Does anyone have experience with this and any horror stories relating to them using the autopilot - I have FSD beta. I'm just worried they may cause a strike. The reason I ask is because no one I spoke to said they knew if they drive it manually or in autopilot. They told me it can't be in valet mode so there's that.

Reactions: Grifon
Quick question: I'm taking my car into Safelite to get the front windshield replaced and they let me know about the calibration and the requirement to drive it. Does anyone have experience with this and any horror stories relating to them using the autopilot - I have FSD beta. I'm just worried they may cause a strike. The reason I ask is because no one I spoke to said they knew if they drive it manually or in autopilot. They told me it can't be in valet mode so there's that.
You can create a new profile like "Service Personel" and make sure your FSD beta is off for that profile. They can still use the public version of FSD with no FSD beta penalties.

Reactions: ZachAttack
Please report back what your experience is with Safelite. Also, what Tesla model is your car? I experienced a large front windshield crack on my less than 1 week old MY. Safelite refused to perform the repair due to multiple reasons (could not get the windshield from Tesla, took 2 people to do the replacement, and the calibration that is needed). I wound up have to drive to a Tesla service center out of state for the repair. Wondering if this Was just a one off experience for me or is it common to have this work refused.

You can create a new profile like "Service Personel" and make sure your FSD beta is off for that profile. They can still use the public version of FSD with no FSD beta penalties.
Not true, normal AP strikes will count against FSD beta. Just turn off AP altogether before giving it to them. But I haven't heard of any company driving your car to calibrate the cameras, you just press the button yourself and go drive it for 20-30 miles.

Also Tesla does windshield replacements for the same price as Safelite if you are that worried. I got a check from my insurance after getting the quote from Tesla less a $50 deductible.

If they're charging money for it then its time to find another glass company - you're being ripped off.
Tesla camera calibration is a selectable option in the service menu, for free.

If they're charging money for it then its time to find another glass company - you're being ripped off.
Tesla camera calibration is a selectable option in the service menu, for free.

That's what I had assumed as well, but doesn't actually appear to be the case. The service manual shows a procedure involving a target, toolbox 3, and an adjustment process to ensure the front camera pitch is correct after windshield replacement.

That's what I had assumed as well, but doesn't actually appear to be the case. The service manual shows a procedure involving a target, toolbox 3, and an adjustment process to ensure the front camera pitch is correct after windshield replacement.
When cameras are installed, they need to be aligned within a certain tolerance or the driving calibration will likely fail.

I would compare Safelight with Tesla for cost. When I had my windshield replaced a few months ago, Tesla had the cheaper bid.

When cameras are installed, they need to be aligned within a certain tolerance or the driving calibration will likely fail.

I would compare Safelight with Tesla for cost. When I had my windshield replaced a few months ago, Tesla had the cheaper bid.
To to provide the "horses mouth" info from the Tesla service manual :cool:
There is a pitch verification process which is to adjust the cameras after installation, this uses camera targets etc to adjust things. But only if the correction code says it needs it.

The service manual also says that calibration is performed by the customer by driving the car, just replacing the windshield will trigger the calibration.
I was going to cut and paste, but remembered the license agreement seems to forbid the :D

Slightly related aside - the service manual is still free as far as I know, don't forget to go register for the subscription at service.tesla.com.
Lots of really interesting stuff in there, all the stuff we didn't know we needed but can't do without now we have it!

There is no calibration. That is false. The calibration is done via software. However, the orientation of the camera has to be within a certain bound, which is quite large, and what Tesla refers to as "calibration" is really just a workmanship check. If the camera is oriented so far out of calibration-able alignment then it would be apparent by physical inspection of the bonded-on camera assembly. You'll be fine.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Pommie and impastu
Not true, normal AP strikes will count against FSD beta. Just turn off AP altogether before giving it to them. But I haven't heard of any company driving your car to calibrate the cameras, you just press the button yourself and go drive it for 20-30 miles.

Also Tesla does windshield replacements for the same price as Safelite if you are that worried. I got a check from my insurance after getting the quote from Tesla less a $50 deductible.
To my knowledge Tesla doesn’t do windshields but they get a mobile van to come do it in their parking lot or service center. It’s a specialty skill and it’s generic for all vehicles. Tech at one center confirmed. I think price is agreed upon wt ins companies so they’re all roughly the same. I recently had a windshield replaced on a y and it was 1600. 500 of it was “calibration”. …which really means they charged 500 to confirm electrically that the camera is pointing as it appears to physically.

To my knowledge Tesla doesn’t do windshields but they get a mobile van to come do it in their parking lot or service center. It’s a specialty skill and it’s generic for all vehicles. Tech at one center confirmed. I think price is agreed upon wt ins companies so they’re all roughly the same. I recently had a windshield replaced on a y and it was 1600. 500 of it was “calibration”. …which really means they charged 500 to confirm electrically that the camera is pointing as it appears to physically.

I've always had mine done at the service center here in New England. Just under $1000 for Model 3 windshield. Insurance covered both incidents (rock chips).