Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safelite won't service Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a spider crack in the glass roof of my Y. Its about the size of a quarter. I originally made a service call to Tesla to take a look at it to see if they could fix/repair. Tesla said they would only replace the entire roof for around $1500 and if I was looking for a repair to call Safelite. So I did and made an appointment for safelite to come to my house. I think its ridiculous that Tesla can't/won't do glass repair. But whatever...

On the day of the Safelite appointment, the Safelite tech calls to say they do not service the roof of Teslas. When I asked why, he just told me he was instructed by his mgmt they do not do it. Unsatisfied with this answer, I called the customer service number. They told me that they are stopping work on Teslas because it has been a nightmare for them to deal with Tesla. If something goes wrong, they need a part, need assistance, whatever, dealing with Tesla has been horrible. So Safelite has made the decision to not deal with Tesla's. I don't know if this a company wide thing, or just a local thing. I'm in the Atlanta metro area. I also don't know if they are stopping work on any Tesla glass or just the roof.

Anybody else run into this?

Makes sense. Also not sure why you're trying to work around a roof replacement... if Tesla says it needs replacing you should get it replaced.

Safelite can't get glass from Tesla, Tesla can barely get glass from Tesla. My insurance normally goes through Safelite but when I made my glass claim they told me I had to go through Tesla.

Makes sense. Also not sure why you're trying to work around a roof replacement... if Tesla says it needs replacing you should get it replaced.

Safelite can't get glass from Tesla, Tesla can barely get glass from Tesla. My insurance normally goes through Safelite but when I made my glass claim they told me I had to go through Tesla.
I went through Safelite directly for a glass replacement.

Tesla makes you pay out of pocket regardless of whether you are using insurance. Safelite will go through insurance.

Safelite did a great job on our X.

installing-jpg.532242

Reactions: X-pilot
i place a windshield claim last month with both Safelight, from my insurance claim site, and Tesla directly. Safelight gave me a 6 week delivery timeframe for windshield and Tesla ordered and had the windshield within week or so. I went with Tesla as a result. Point is Safelight did not refuse my claim but had a much longer lead time for replacement glass. Now this was a windshield, not a glass roof panel. I would consider a roof panel body repair rather than glass replacement. As such I would not consider Safelight for the repair, but that's me.

I think he mention that Tesla would only replace no repair nor was replacement required.
I have a spider crack in the glass roof of my Y. Its about the size of a quarter. I originally made a service call to Tesla to take a look at it to see if they could fix/repair. Tesla said they would only replace the entire roof for around $1500 and if I was looking for a repair to call Safelite. So I did and made an appointment for safelite to come to my house. I think its ridiculous that Tesla can't/won't do glass repair. But whatever...

On the day of the Safelite appointment, the Safelite tech calls to say they do not service the roof of Teslas. When I asked why, he just told me he was instructed by his mgmt they do not do it. Unsatisfied with this answer, I called the customer service number. They told me that they are stopping work on Teslas because it has been a nightmare for them to deal with Tesla. If something goes wrong, they need a part, need assistance, whatever, dealing with Tesla has been horrible. So Safelite has made the decision to not deal with Tesla's. I don't know if this a company wide thing, or just a local thing. I'm in the Atlanta metro area. I also don't know if they are stopping work on any Tesla glass or just the roof.

Anybody else run into this?
I would contact any PPF or wrap companies in the area that are reputable. In most cases they have their own Glass person on staff or can offer a referral. I think the size you are referring to can be repaired. If no luck you may find near a service station someone who is offering this service. Here in Texas, these places are all around town.

I was at Safelite getting a new windshield for my other car (not the Tesla). But when I was there, a woman walked in and asked about her Model 3. The Safelite employee had to ask her which Model 3 it was, because they were servicing 2 of them that day.

No, it makes no sense. Tesla didn't say it needs replacing...they said all they could do is replace the whole roof.

Me: I need a couple of stitches on my finger.
Tesla: All we can do is cut off your whole arm. We suggest going to a Doctor.
Doctor: We don't stitch Tesla Fingers.

That's where I am at.

No, it makes no sense. Tesla didn't say it needs replacing...they said all they could do is replace the whole roof.

Me: I need a couple of stitches on my finger.
Tesla: All we can do is cut off your whole arm. We suggest going to a Doctor.
Doctor: We don't stitch Tesla Fingers.

That's where I am at.
I think you're making this out to be bigger than it needs to be. Just buy a windshield repair kit online and fill the crack yourself. That's basically all you're trying to get Tesla/Safelite to do.
If it doesn't work, then you'll just need to replace the entire roof.

Reactions: Sandollars
I think you're making this out to be bigger than it needs to be. Just buy a windshield repair kit online and fill the crack yourself. That's basically all you're trying to get Tesla/Safelite to do.
If it doesn't work, then you'll just need to replace the entire roof.

I have a repair kit, but I think the crack is slightly bigger than the kit covers. Will try it anyway and see if the crack grows over the winter. If it does, I guess I'm looking at a roof replacement.

Anyway, the real point of this post was to raise awareness that Safelite may or may not service your Tesla. Safelite will not repair my Tesla Y glass roof.

As Darmie said, contact any of the number of independent people that fill/repair glass cracks with epoxy material. When i got the rock in my windshield on vacation and it left a baseball size circular fracture in my windshield, I got a local guy (in Texas irinically) to stabilize the broken area so i could continue my vacation and drive the car until I could get it replaced. Usually, your insurance will pick up the entire tab on the damage repair if it can be done with epoxy. My guy charged me $80 to stabilize the damage..

To me it looks like Safelite is trying hard not to perform replacements on Tesla Model Y’s. Took an impact on my 1 week old Y that left an 18” crack down the passenger side of the windshield. My insurance is through USAA and they had a very easy online claim interface to schedule a replacement. Final screen showed the local Safelite shop in Birmingham, Al. Was called the next morning my someone from the shop saying they could not do the work (took 2 people, issues with calibration as the could not do it, etc.). So called a Safelite customer support rep who tried to help me. She called 3 other locations (1 in Huntsville, AL and 2 in Atlanta). All the same story, too much of a PITA.

So now have an appointment with Tesla at the Decatur GA store in a couple of weeks. Also I have to submit the invoice in advance back to USAA Glass Support (which happens to be Safelite Solutions).

sigh…

M3 and MY do not need calibration as the cameras are self calibrating according to Tesla. Safelight can't get the glass and/or Tesla wants to be paid up front for the parts. that's most likely the issue Safelight has with Tesla. I had my work done at Tesla sooner than Safelight could have got the glass and got reimbursed by Geico for the job less my $50 glass deductible and another $50 that they discounted the Tesla labor.