Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safely trickle charge a bricked pack in/out of car - solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the maximum charging current if I were to bring the brick voltage from 3.7V to 3.9V? I can see the max 100mA charging current on the board but I think that's the current limit to save a brick from dead right? The traces on this BMB board and the connectors should be able to handle a much higher current right? Thanks!

What's the maximum charging current if I were to bring the brick voltage from 3.7V to 3.9V? I can see the max 100mA charging current on the board but I think that's the current limit to save a brick from dead right? The traces on this BMB board and the connectors should be able to handle a much higher current right? Thanks!
BMB has SMT fuses on each sense wire.
Why is that brick out of balance?

BMB has SMT fuses on each sense wire.
Why is that brick out of balance?
Is that fuse rated at 0.1A? I think the brick went out of balance due to bad charging. I do not have a dedicated charging facility, so I use public EV chargers, which automatically turns off when fully charged, leaving no chance for the BMS to balance the bricks.

Tesla changed the firmware so it balances during charge, if that brick is also showing Vmax at full charge then you need to find the cells that are compromising the sheet, not try and charge that brick because if a cell has shorted it will pull a lot of current way before the brick charges and continue to draw after it’s stopped charging, my car is never on a charger after it’s finished, because I’m either on a long journey it I’m parking at home where I don’t have a way to charge, at work I have to use a sketchy car park to charge so as soon as it’s done I move it, the ESS remains balanced after many many cycles of part charging. If 29 is V min it means it has less capacity abd that would mean a few cells need removing.

Tesla changed the firmware so it balances during charge,
To clarify (what I think you meant to say), it balances after it finishes charging if the SOC is high enough. They changed the firmware in 2011 so it would balance at the end of a std mode charge. It never balances during charge.

Is that fuse rated at 0.1A? I think the brick went out of balance due to bad charging. I do not have a dedicated charging facility, so I use public EV chargers, which automatically turns off when fully charged, leaving no chance for the BMS to balance the bricks.
It sounds like you have a misunderstanding of the balancing process. A public EV charger will not prevent it from balancing. It will balance after if finishes charging regardless of whether the charger "shuts off" or if you unplug it. The only thing that will stop if from balancing is if you turn the key on.

As @spaceballs and @X.l.r.8 have said, if brick 29 remains significantly lower v than the rest even after a week or multiple balancing sessions, then that brick has a bad cell. You won't be able to bring it back into balance by manually charging it. The bad cell(s) will immediately drain the whole brick back down again.