TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Safety at Night

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by kinito, Jan 6, 2020.

1. kinito

kinito Member

My wife had a question the other day and I can't find an answer - is there a way to have the doors lock automatically after entering the car so that no one can open it from the outside? My wife was in a less desirable area of Denver at night the other and felt less safe.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Not automatically--but she just needs to tap on the Lock icon on the touchscreen to lock the doors.

3. rincewind

rincewind Member

Er- my Model 3 locks all doors automatically when I put it in drive. When in Park they unlock, so could she leave it in Drive?

4. Miss Tes

Miss Tes Member

I am female and that’s an issue I thought about too. I simply get in, hit microphone and say lock the doors. Tes complies. I have been thinking there might be an option to make this happen automatically but then again maybe not because that would be inconvenient for passengers.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

Can't leave it in drive if she is charging...

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Maybe I was not clear--if you see that the doors are not locked (the lock icon is UNlocked-padlock open), just tap on the icon to lock all of the doors. Lock icon should now show a locked padlock.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. smatthew

smatthew Active Member

Don't the doors auto lock above a certain speed?

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

Yes, they do...but the OP questioned safety when stopped/just getting into car.

• Like x 1
  9. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

Getting in, no, you have to put in drive or hit the padlock.

I turned off auto-unlock because if you're in the car you can just get out.

If you're picking up someone you just put it in park then push park again and it will unlock.