Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Deal Breaker after Model X Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets try to solve this guys problem.
What I want to know is how tall the car seat is.
The height of the second row seats (to the seat not headrest)
And how tall the interior of the Model X is.

Once I have all that info we can then see if this is a non-issue.
(also has anyone in this thread mentioned that the third row is perfect for toddlers?)

I am constantly amazed at how good my girls are at making sure their fingers don't get caught on doors, drawers, cabinets, etc. (*touches wood*)

But I'd be willing to make a wager that we hear of more adults getting their fingers pinched than kids once the X really starts to roll out.

Lets try to solve this guys problem.
What I want to know is how tall the car seat is.
The height of the second row seats (to the seat not headrest)
And how tall the interior of the Model X is.

Once I have all that info we can then see if this is a non-issue.
(also has anyone in this thread mentioned that the third row is perfect for toddlers?)

From seat pan to the center support beam, 35" (uncompressed seat):
SeatToMiddleBar.jpg

From seat head rest to glass in closed falcon wing door (side seats of middle row), 8":

headrestToGlass.jpg

Ok so the OP said...
Great point….Maybe even lower the 2nd row seat so the toddler can't reach the hinge. I just wish they gave us more time to mess around with the car at the event.
If you're talking toddler, the upper estimate for a toddlers age is three years old, the average height for a toddler ( 3yrs old ) is 37.5" and were assuming the kid is sitting. So the average leg to height ratio is 45%, .45*37.5= 16.875". And arm span is your height so half your height is your reach, .5*37.5= 18.75". Add those two together to get max reach of average toddler 16.875"+18.75"= 35.625" (without car seat). I also didn't put in shoulder height to my calculations which would make reach less. I'll take 10.75% (for neck and head) off of 16.875" That equals 15.0609" and in total that's 33.8109" (Max reach). So with pvogel's measurements a toddler without a car seat is 1.1891 inches away from reaching the roof. With a car seat the kid could probably just barely reach the roof. There is probably a large measure of tolerance in my calculations, don't take this as your kids are definitely safe, just use this as a point of reference.

Average height: Average Height to Weight Chart - Babies to Teenagers

Average leg to height ratio: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso?: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Neck and head body length percentage:
http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Segments.html

I don't want to test the theory, but my DS made a huge point at delivery about the anti-pinch gaskets in all of the doors. That, together with the sensors that stop the door when it feels resistance, should prevent significant injury.

Ok so the OP said...

If you're talking toddler, the upper estimate for a toddlers age is three years old, the average height for a toddler ( 3yrs old ) is 37.5" and were assuming the kid is sitting. So the average leg to height ratio is 45%, .45*37.5= 16.875". And arm span is your height so half your height is your reach, .5*37.5= 18.75". Add those two together to get max reach of average toddler 16.875"+18.75"= 35.625" (without car seat). I also didn't put in shoulder height to my calculations which would make reach less. I'll take 10.75% (for neck and head) off of 16.875" That equals 15.0609" and in total that's 33.8109" (Max reach). So with pvogel's measurements a toddler without a car seat is 1.1891 inches away from reaching the roof. With a car seat the kid could probably just barely reach the roof. There is probably a large measure of tolerance in my calculations, don't take this as your kids are definitely safe, just use this as a point of reference.

am I missing something, or isn't the world FULL of things toddlers needs to avoid... Door jambs(!), HOT!, cliffs etc. FWD's seem the least of a toddlers potential downfalls. At least FWD's have sensors to prevent most of what ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER cannot. Just because it's new tech to us, it's the same as a regular, non sensored... And reachable door to a toddler.

am I missing something, or isn't the world FULL of things toddlers needs to avoid... Door jambs(!), HOT!, cliffs etc. FWD's seem the least of a toddlers potential downfalls. At least FWD's have sensors to prevent most of what ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER cannot. Just because it's new tech to us, it's the same as a regular, non sensored... And reachable door to a toddler.

While I agree with you, clearly some parents are concerned with the doors.

My experience in life (and I'm sure many of you here on the forum) is that when people feel uncomfortable complaining about stating what they're really not happy about, they latch on to what seems to be a valid reason.

I had a very respected engineer let me know how upset he was because the CEO never flushed. Yep. Seriously. But the reality was the engineer was upset with the kind of guy the CEO was and didn't feel comfortable expressing that. But everyone knew he should flush the toilet.

The OP has decided the X is not for him. Maybe down the road, he and his wife will decide it is the right vehicle. But for now, it's not. I doubt it's because of the potential for a toddler reaching up and pinching fingers, but I don't doubt for a second that he's not comfortable buying the vehicle today. It could be because it's electric or the doors or the price or who knows. Maybe HE doesn't know. But he knows he's uncomfortable about the pinch factor. So be it.

I doubt analyzing the potential for pinching fingers will make a whit of difference in his purchase decision, and that's okay. There will be more electric vehicles to choose from. :)

I believe the extent of this issue may have been overstated by the OP. Yet my old shop teacher may disagree. It's great to hear the different concerns brought forth by everyone. I will definitely tell my children not to shove their fingers in the FWD as they close. As a grown man I hope I don't forget to do the same. My old shop teacher would remember but then again he has already lost a few fingers.

Ok so the OP said...

Average height: Average Height to Weight Chart - Babies to Teenagers

Average leg to height ratio: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso?: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Neck and head body length percentage:
http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Segments.html

I love this calculation! LOL. Yes, my wife and I are expecting our first so this will be for a car seat. Maybe a bit (ok, a lot) more paranoid as a first time parent, but who isn't??

I won't apologize for my views on this, but I definitely (in hindsight) should have toned down on the title. However, when coming up with a title, I don't think "Finger pinch safety issue was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me decide against purchasing a MX" would have fit in the title box. There were other factors that I, personally, could have overlooked. This was not one of them…as ridiculous as some of you guys think that is, I'm blaming it on being a first time parent paranoia.

Again, no doubt the MX is tops in safety. You just wish that with all the fancy bells and whistles in this car, they would have put an extra sensor by the Model X panel. That's all. Am I hating on Tesla??? NO!! I love Tesla…I have stock invested in this company (although, I've lost big in the past couple months watching TSLA drop!)

The end.

We've had our MX for 3 days. It's absolutely awesome but not without some problems. The falcon wing doors are amazing feat of engineering by in my opinion are a lawsuit waiting to happen. While there are sensors in the doors they can close and hit a person inadvertently. I was standing beneath an open door while my son was looking at the touch panel. In his excitement he pressed the close door button and the falcon door came down on my head. It didn't stop when it came into contact with me and I had to scramble out of the way. A similar problem happened when my other son was standing under an open door while my wife was using the fob trying to open the charging port and inadvertently pressed the close falcon door option. Once again the door did not sense my 5'5" son and hit him on the head. Contact did not seem to stop the closing action. I'm not sure if I have a faulty door sensor or if this is "normal" functionality.

We've had our MX for 3 days. It's absolutely awesome but not without some problems. The falcon wing doors are amazing feat of engineering by in my opinion are a lawsuit waiting to happen. While there are sensors in the doors they can close and hit a person inadvertently. I was standing beneath an open door while my son was looking at the touch panel. In his excitement he pressed the close door button and the falcon door came down on my head. It didn't stop when it came into contact with me and I had to scramble out of the way. A similar problem happened when my other son was standing under an open door while my wife was using the fob trying to open the charging port and inadvertently pressed the close falcon door option. Once again the door did not sense my 5'5" son and hit him on the head. Contact did not seem to stop the closing action. I'm not sure if I have a faulty door sensor or if this is "normal" functionality.
Please make sure to let your service center know about this. For everyone's sake it needs to be determined if it is faulty sensors or something else. In addition you can use your voice control on the steering wheel to say "bug report" and a brief description. Despite other threads saying these are ignored I was assured by someone senior in Tesla service that these are compiled and reviewed weekly with Elon.

The sensors that everyone talks about are on the outside of the door and are used to prevent the door from hitting something when opening. When closing it should act like the rear hatch in that after it meets some resistance it should stop. That doesn't mean that it will detect you prior to hitting you on the head or that it will immediately stop. Maybe you should test holding the door open as it's coming down to see how much resistance is needed before it stops/reverses and let us know what you find out.

The sensors that everyone talks about are on the outside of the door and are used to prevent the door from hitting something when opening. When closing it should act like the rear hatch in that after it meets some resistance it should stop. That doesn't mean that it will detect you prior to hitting you on the head or that it will immediately stop. Maybe you should test holding the door open as it's coming down to see how much resistance is needed before it stops/reverses and let us know what you find out.

For what it's worth, our sliding van doors (and I'm guessing all sliding van doors) operate this way as well. If you're in the way, they'll hit you and eventually back off after some resistance.

For what it's worth, our sliding van doors (and I'm guessing all sliding van doors) operate this way as well. If you're in the way, they'll hit you and eventually back off after some resistance.

You could slip in the shower or bump into something while walking too. The first line of defense is always user alertness. A lot of those what you should do or should not do are just common sense. Nothing can help if you're not careful yourself. 100% fail safe device for everyday life hasn't been invented yet and never will. And yes Darwin still rules.