Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Deal Breaker after Model X Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when was the last time you guys went on a web page for a product you just checked out, just to tell everyone you DIDN'T like it? Most people never give doing something like that a second thought. And, if this guy was REALLY that interested in sharing his thoughts on the X, he would have made his first post saying he was going to test drive the X.

Four signals that this guy is a troll:

1) He made a point to say something negative about the X in general ("fun drive, wasn't TOO blown away")
2) A complaint about something that NO ONE else has even mentioned. It was probably the best BS idea he could come up with to post.
3) Was his first post and he has not been back.
4) Where did he do this test drive at?

First time posters and never come back to follow up because they would not be able to answer questions. Those are typical of how trolls are. Even funnier is you see those two (you know who you are) detractors automatically come out to defend the right of the troll but not to discuss the subject.

Give me a break. THIS is your "DEAL BREAKER"? Tell your kid to watch his fingers... or given your "demo" I'd bet he already understands clearly NOT to do that. Now, watch out for those light sockets...

Hi guys:
Just got back from our test drive today. Fun drive, wasn't too blown away, but there was a deal breaker for us that may not be for you.

I sat down in the back seat and closed the falcon door. Immediately, I noticed that the falcon door closed right above my head. There is this interface between the car roof/ceiling and the Falcon wing door come together. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine seeing the Falcon Wing door opened…you know that panel that says "MODEL X"? That's the interface I'm talking about. I asked the sales people if there are sensors there in case I put my kid in his seat and he starts to wave his hands around and get his hands caught in that interface while the Falcon Wings closed down. He said he didn't know….so we tested it out. He actually volunteered and I watched from the front seat.

He rested 3 fingers on the "MODEL X" panel and slowly closed the falcon wing doors. As the door came down, he immediately removed his fingers in pain…..almost like he was touching a hot stove. Not good. I imagine you can tell your kid to put their hands down every time, but I don't want to take that chance.

I really wanted to love and get this Model X, but I can't pull the trigger….kinda sad but oh well...

I could care less that someone ahead of me opened another space so I see my car in mid-2016. In fact, as a hand surgeon who does tremendous amount of trauma, in 20 years I can't recall a single kiddie who had a car door amputation. Crush injury, sure. Tuft (tip) fracture? Sure. But needing surgery to reconstruct? Really rare. Wanna compare that risk to table saws or punching brick walls or other idiocy? Bring it on. My favorite idiom is "The trouble with the gene pool is there is no lifeguard." Kids need to learn from what life throws them. Let em eat some dirt. Let them scuff their knees. Stop raising wusses. If little jimmy breaks his finger in the FWD, I promise to fix him in Denver free of charge! How's that?

Now we know how popular, and scarce, the car is you could have bought your sig and sold it for a large profit. Sorry I have to rub it in. :wink:

If directed to me: I was offered $20k for my Sig Reservation before I cancelled. Did not even have to order one/take delivery and resell. I did not pursue that option. I did not feel it was right for someone to buy their way ahead of many others, like yourself, who have been waiting years for their X.

Just a year and half ago, Model X's were going to be decapitating bicyclists, now we're down to just pinched fingers. We've come a long way. Great progress in safety for such a young company. Thanks Tesla.:smile:

If directed to me: I was offered $20k for my Sig Reservation before I cancelled. Did not even have to order one/take delivery and resell. I did not pursue that option. I did not feel it was right for someone to buy their way ahead of many others, like yourself, who have been waiting years for their X.

Was your reason to cancel is to have others to enjoy it first? So very nice of you. :smile:

Funny guys. I'm going to assume you're all well aware that there are plenty of assistive devices and software available for all of the above & were just joking around.

:)
Don't know why you thought I was kidding. It was between 15 and 20 years ago.

Might have even been this guy:
SASKATOON -- A man with no arms isn't giving up his fight against a Saskatoon police officer who gave him a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Steve Simonar made headlines across the country earlier this year when he complained about getting his first seatbelt ticket. He can't physically buckle up.

A Crown prosecutor recently withdrew the $175 fine in court after the province granted Simonar a medical exemption allowing him to drive without wearing a belt.

Simonar is pleased, but not backing down. He still wants an apology from the constable who gave him the ticket and he wants the force to reprimand the officer.

"The ticket never was the issue," Simonar said Wednesday.

"It's good that they had enough sense to throw it out but the bigger picture is still this officer's attitude."

Simonar, an owner of a Saskatoon construction company, lost his arms in 1985 after he was electrocuted in a boating accident. He learned to drive with his feet and has had several vehicles modified so he can do so.

The 55-year-old uses his left foot to turn a small steering wheel near the floor and his right foot to work the gas and brake pedals. He also uses his feet to open the door and turn the key.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-wi...-officer-who-issued-seatbelt-ticket-1.1381667

Reminds me of when I worked in a hospital. I always thought that the elevator doors were scary, and wondered if they would stop and reverse if something were caught in them. I decided to try it using my pen (and I wonder why the salesman didn't use a pen or piece of cardboard). I pushed the "door close" button. My pen got crushed.

Deal breaker.

No, really, there are many dangers, and many perceived dangers. As a parent, I hope you teach your kids to keep their fingers out of house doors, out from under windows, away from outlets, away from fans, keep them from jumping on beds, don't let them watch too much TV or games, don't let them jump off rocks or go swimming, don't let them learn to drive, don't let them eat meat, don't let them learn to like football or baseball or any sport for that matter.

Saying it's a deal breaker when every car has doors and windows and they travel among lower IQ drivers is a little silly.

I don't see this as a problem unique to falcon wing doors. Many hatchbacks have the same issue with the rear hatch. My kids can easily reach the interface between the hatch and the body on my Chevy Volt.

Roblab sounds a little cynical, but makes a good point. Every door in my house can amputate child fingers if they stick them through the crack and someone closes the door. Should probably be treated more as an education issue.

Hi guys:
Just got back from our test drive today. Fun drive, wasn't too blown away, but there was a deal breaker for us that may not be for you.

I sat down in the back seat and closed the falcon door. Immediately, I noticed that the falcon door closed right above my head. There is this interface between the car roof/ceiling and the Falcon wing door come together. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine seeing the Falcon Wing door opened…you know that panel that says "MODEL X"? That's the interface I'm talking about. I asked the sales people if there are sensors there in case I put my kid in his seat and he starts to wave his hands around and get his hands caught in that interface while the Falcon Wings closed down. He said he didn't know….so we tested it out. He actually volunteered and I watched from the front seat.

He rested 3 fingers on the "MODEL X" panel and slowly closed the falcon wing doors. As the door came down, he immediately removed his fingers in pain…..almost like he was touching a hot stove. Not good. I imagine you can tell your kid to put their hands down every time, but I don't want to take that chance.

I really wanted to love and get this Model X, but I can't pull the trigger….kinda sad but oh well...

We parents call that "a learning experience".

Thanks for clearing it up.

This was tested by the sales person at the driving event. Apparently it wasn't working because the FWD continued to close on his fingers until he released it.

Listen, I get it. Kids will learn the hard way. I'm an educated man that is an adrenaline junky. I surf, summit mountains and firmly believe that you learn the hard way sometimes. Does that make me want my kids to risk unnecessary harm when the bar of expectations is raised that high? No.

Do I believe that other car hinges will create the same risk? Not as high in this situation: I failed to mention in the OP that my wife and I are mainly concerned with the kids in child seats. In conventional cars, their hands and arms are more isolated from the doors. Once fastened down, they can't reach their hands to the corners of the doors. When situated in the Model X in a safety child seat, they are more elevated on the seat. The FWD with the hinge closes directly (WITHOUT release) above the child seat.

Great points, it's just my opinion. Just wanted to point it out. It's a great car and I'm just disappointed I didn't love it more. My wife didn't LOVE it for another reason. It's not for us. That's it. Wasn't expecting such a response, but just wanted to bring it up for buyers to be aware of this. Tough crowd!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm so hoping op would come back to say thank you all now I know I need to buy the safest SUV for my children the MX but somehow I know that is not going to happen.

I haven't replied because my practice was swamped this week. First post because Tesla removed the forums on their page so I diverted to this forum. Didn't know I was required to respond back so quickly.

Yes, children will be overall safer in the Model X compared to any other vehicle. Trust me, I've done my research. Do I want to constantly remind them every time I go to the store to put their hands down every time I close the FWD? No. One less thing to do. Again, my wife had her issues with the car's FWD (non safety issue), but I'd rather you flame me than my wife. Tough crowd.

I bet you could buy or make a third party foam insert to place on the ceiling where the door hinges, this way the kids cannot put their fingers in the hinge. Velcro it to the ceiling so you can take it out whenever you want to.

I bet you could buy or make a third party foam insert to place on the ceiling where the door hinges, this way the kids cannot put their fingers in the hinge. Velcro it to the ceiling so you can take it out whenever you want to.

Great point….Maybe even lower the 2nd row seat so the toddler can't reach the hinge. I just wish they gave us more time to mess around with the car at the event.