Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Feature Request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to find that the M3 does not have a backup warning if a vehicle or pedestrian is approaching in the rear. My 2016 Toyota has this and it's a well documented safety feature in most mid-range car brands.
How about it, Tesla?

That's rear cross-traffic alerting- which typically uses rear-mounted radar.

Which is hardware Teslas don't have.

What is rear cross traffic alert? Autoweek explains

I imagine they'll eventually do something with the rear cameras and sonar, but it's likely to suck compared to a radar sollution, especially for tings like backing out of a parking spot where the rear-facing side cameras view is likely blocked by parked cars.

Yeah I've complained about this for a while, though I thought I saw this was "coming soon" on the model X web page at one point when the AP2.0 HW was introduced. Maybe my memory is bad though. I've also been sending constant feedback about blind spot warnings and how inadequate Tesla's are. At least they have mentioned that an update for that is "coming soon" in a tweet recently.

I think a lot of people get a little frustrated with a lack of common features other brands have had for years that don't exist in Telas, but they still love their Teslas. Especially when these features seem like they could be easily added in with just an OTA software update.

You can email them using feedback. Almost all of the feedback I've submitted via email or web form has resulted in a reply from someone on the dev team. 3 Major things I've talked with them repeatedly about:
  • USB Playlist support
  • Autopilot failure spots (unintentional slowdowns for low overpasses, etc)
  • Option for audible blind spot alert instead of just the visible sensor warnings on the dash
They seemed most concerned about autopilot issues as they asked for a lot of specific details. (Date, time, milepost markers, etc) - the other two have received responses but I they have been lukewarm at best.

You can email them using feedback. Almost all of the feedback I've submitted via email or web form has resulted in a reply from someone on the dev team. 3 Major things I've talked with them repeatedly about:
  • USB Playlist support
  • Option for audible blind spot alert instead of just the visible sensor warnings on the dash
They seemed most concerned about autopilot issues as they asked for a lot of specific details. (Date, time, milepost markers, etc) - the other two have received responses but I they have been lukewarm at best.

I'm a newbie. Where do I access feedback?

• USB Playlist support
Would you mind sharing which email you are sending the feedback to?
I sent previously to [email protected], but no one bother to respond for weeks. When I sent few follow up emails, they replied saying they have forwarded my email to local service center. I am really disappointed about this lukewarm/non responsive emails. Issue I sent are related to firmware, and not sure what Service Center can do anything about it. That includes one of those Rear Cam blank screen.

I initially sent feedback using the form under my tesla account. I then received a reply from [email protected] and when I sent responses to their responses, I got responses in about 24 hours. But It's been at least a year since the last time I have done this.

I sent an inquiry in about the back up warning feature and received a response in less than 24 hours indicating that they thought this was a
desirable feature and that they would look into it.
That's a great response, but I'm a little puzzled that they hadn't thought of it before, when several other Auto companies have boasted about this feature in national TV ads.

Service centers are the appropriate place to report problems with the car, regardless of what you think might be the cause.
I sent email to that address after calling and talking to Tesla support number. They gave me that email address, and it is crickets. Service Center said, they want to know exact time to the minute to look thru the logs for the issue after a month passed away.