Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Hazard Driving in Heavy Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a 2017 100D Model X in December 2017. About three months ago my wife called and told me that she could not open the car doors. When she finally got in the car (with our infant daughter), the windshield wipers, headlights and taillights would not work. She received the following error message: Rear right safety restrain system fault. It was raining heavily during this time (she was running errands; the vehicle was parked outside). She told me that once she was able to get the car into drive, it would automatically shift into park when the car was stopped. The windshield wipers, headlights/taillights would randomly enable and disable, and the turn signal was not functioning. The interior lights would flash on and off and when parked the taillights would flicker. We took it to Tesla and they told us it was due to an earlier MCU sensor recall. It was replaced but the issue occurred again. We took it back to Tesla and they kept the vehicle for almost two weeks. They told it was the BCCEN. They replaced it for $600 but about a week later it happened again albeit to a lesser degree right before we went out of town. Since we were out of town for a while have not been driven the care much nor had time to take it in for service. Today it happened again during an extremely hard rain, which seems to be the common denominator. It is extremely dangerous to drive in the rain with no functioning windshield wipers, headlight/taillights or turn signal. Luckily, every time this has happened it has been during the afternoon instead of at night, and we have been close to home. Has anyone else encountered this problem? We have had to take this vehicle in for service multiple times for other issues since 2017, so I'm at the point of questioning whether or not we have a lemon. I reported this to the NHTSA because it is no longer safe to drive this car.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
I assume that you didn't upgrade your MCU1 to MCU2 for $2,000 (I paid $2,500 prior to the current cost).
Everything is upgraded to my knowledge. There are no available upgrades on my account and they previously blamed the issue on the MCU and "fixed it". The second time it happened, they said it was the BCCEN. Dropped it off today, they don't have any answers yet...

Everything is upgraded to my knowledge. There are no available upgrades on my account and they previously blamed the issue on the MCU and "fixed it". The second time it happened, they said it was the BCCEN. Dropped it off today, they don't have any answers yet...
The new MCU should have fixed this. Very puzzling! Please keep us posted.