Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Inspection - where'd you take your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently bought a Model S and have to get it safety inspected for registration as it was purchased in another province and brought in to Ontario.

Tesla said they just don't do safety inspections and Canadian Tire said they were basically not familiar with the car enough to do one lol. All they need to do is check basic stuff like brakes, tire wear, make sure headlights work etc. Not sure why they're intimidated by the thing.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

When I switched from leasing to financing, I had to do it, to transfer the car into my name. I went to a local mechanic who lifted the car on a hoist, inspected the wheels (control arms and whatnot), smiled because there was nothing else to do, signed the certificate and gave it to me. It took 10 minutes.

Advice: Avoid Canadian Tire at all costs.
Just go to any local mechanic. Many are certified to do the safety inspection. Also, don't tell them what the car is before you go. Don't give them a chance to say no.

Reactions: mrElbe
took it to a Canadian Tire that shall remain nameless...or locationless.

Warned them about the lift thing adn the guy said 'don't worry we don't need to lift it'. Guess they measured pads/rotors through the gaps between spokes etc. He laughed when he saw it had 20,000 kms and needed a safety inspection. Passed pretty quickly and the car didn't have any bad experiences like rypalmer experienced so that's good.

Try calling Kal Tire. One of them here in Calgary does it and if they need to lift the car at least they know what they are doing. I ended up going to another tire shop where in Calgary called Harpers because the Kal Tire did not get their annual certificate renewed in time for my inspection.