Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety issue: backup camera should override other UI when in reverse.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backing out of my garage, I struck another car that was unexpectedly in my driveway. The backup camera was useless, because the quick controls UI for opening and closing the doors was not replaced by the camera view.

To my knowledge, every other manufacturer prioritizes safety correctly. The rear view camera *always* shows the rear view when backing up.

This is a safety and liability issue for Tesla. If I was an insurance company with any Tesla's on my books, I would be asking Tesla to fix this camera issue.

Attachments

• 2014-0502-Safety-Week-Ads-External-Day-1.jpg
    2014-0502-Safety-Week-Ads-External-Day-1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 107
The camera does turn on automatically and sits on top of anything else that might be open on the display in my car; if it didn't come on, I would probably use my mirrors to help me reverse (you can find one mounted in the center at the top of your windshield, and one on either side of the vehicle that you can see by looking out either of the front side windows) and/or put the car back into Park and then switch to Reverse again.

• Funny
Reactions: NoSoup4U!
I usually drive my wife's Model 3 when we go somewhere together. I'll start backing out with the backup camera on, then she'll do something on the touchscreen and the rearview disappears. I just stop, touch the camera icon near the bottom of the screen to pop it back on, and continue backing up. My wife has learned to stay off the controls until we're moving forward.

Same thing happens with the garage Homelink controls. Touch the screen while backing out and they disappear. I have to touch the Homelink icon at the top of the screen to bring the controls back and shut the garage door (since I do it manually).

If the camera didn't come on initially, maybe a door was ajar?

So you are backing up and can't see where you are going so you continue to back up?
That's going to be pretty hard to convince someone that that is Tesla's fault.
If your mirrors are covered in ICE do you just say, "Ice is not my problem, I'll just keep backing up"?
Or do you clean off your mirrors?