TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Safety mode when driving through standing water

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by goaliemanshark, Dec 23, 2012.

1. goaliemanshark

Minor problem.

There was a very heavy downpour in the Bay Area and some streets got flooded. I had to go through one and I was going probably 5 miles per hour. The water was probably a foot deep.

No idea what happened but the car beeped once and went into neutral. I didn't see any error or anything. Did I press the gas and brake at the same time? Did the car get some water inside?

I put it into drive again and it was fine.

Weird huh?

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Seems like a recurring issue: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9489-Model-S-Delivery-Update?p=238493&viewfull=1#post238493

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Rain/Wet causing problems with Neutral/Warnings/Error Messages/Lights

There is a technical/mechanical issues thread but I wanted to highlight this potential problem. Hopefully the mods can leave it here for just a while to see if it is a real issue.

I have read in three different posts of a beep/buzzer/neutral/suspension error lights/posible display reset when a vehicle went through water. One was during a test drive, the second was on the way home from factory pick up and I believe the last was driving around town.

All the other issued raised are, in my opinion, little issues that will get sorted. Not one of them has really been drive dynamics related (of the type that NHTSA gets involved in). This is the first serious issue I have read about and was curious if anyone else has had anything like this happen.

These are the types of problems that drive recalls. Noramally, a problem must be solved before the recall can ocure and solving a potential problem like this is non trivial.

For the record, I'm not involved in any options trading. I have a car due in the next few weeks and am only a concerned customer.

5. waidy

waidy Member

This is "underwater test"?

6. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Ranger to the rescue?

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

IMHO .... Anyone driving thru water "a foot deep" knowingly is negligent. Not Tesla or the car.

Are we going to blame Tesla if a parking stop cracks the lower plastic because the driver pulled in too far?
    Is it Teslas fault if your car is damaged by hail?

We (collectively as a people) need to take some personal responsibility and not blame others for our mishaps.

8. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Not my point at all......
    NHTSA will not take into account the driver's actions (to a point of course) when looking into complaints. They will investigate.

In all fairness, the guy driving his car home from factory pick up with his kids in the back did not seem to be to be a problem child.

9. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

1++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10. waidy

waidy Member

Someone who drove in a one foot water posted at Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 78

11. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Yeah, I believe thats what he was referencing...

Then your thread title should be modified to reflect the actual circumstance ... not implying that simple wet / raining conditions cause the reported issue.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes we have to take responsibility for our cars, but on the other hand Tesla should build them just as rugged as any similar vehicle. I'm willing to cut them some slack on immersion, but...

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Agreed. If it doesn't bother a Prius, it shouldn't bother a Tesla--if it does there is a problem.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Moved some other posts on the same subject here and amended title to better reflect discussion. (Reports are of deep water and not simply "rain/wet")

Related thread: Test-drive-in-the-rain

Worth noting that *shady* said:

My personal guess would have been that there was a traction control issue in the deep water.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I wouldn't want to take an ICE through 1ft of water, never mind an EV! However, reading through the reports it seems that the Model S reacted better than most ICEs would have. Model S went into neutral, restarted and was fine afterwards. If an ICE had sucked in water, well.....

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

This incident was not a foot of water however:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9489-Model-S-Delivery-Update?p=238493&viewfull=1#post238493

16. steve841

steve841 Active Member

17. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I'm not getting hysterical but this is starting to seem like a serious issue that justifies some serious attention.

18. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I don't get it? I referenced a different incident.

19. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Mods are combining various posts...

20. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I think I see the confusion, when I said "This incident" I was not referring to the OP of this thread, but to the quote I linked, to point out that you need not drive through a foot of water to have this problem. Bad wording on my part.