Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety mode when driving through standing water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed Tesla. This was their response:

I was informed you had an issue while driving through a puddle of standing water. This is a something we are aware of and will be fixed in the next firmware update. the next update should happen sometime in the next week or so.

Interesting!

I suspect they're going to filter out a "momentary splash" and only go into the protective mode if the car really is submerged.

I was informed you had an issue while driving through a puddle of standing water. This is a something we are aware of and will be fixed in the next firmware update. the next update should happen sometime in the next week or so.

Interesting!

Good on Tesla for jumping on this. Makes me wonder, however, what it is that is actually sensing the water.

It's not at all hard to build an electronic immersion sensor. I believe the Roadster also has one.

Right. I wasn't aware Model S had an immersion/water sensor, but I guess it makes sense.

I hope some day they release shop/service manuals for the car. I always buy them for my cars and actually enjoy reading them and discovering things about how the car works. (My wife and friends think I'm nuts :smile:)

Interesting!
Hopefully ending the debate that this was intended or desirable behavior.

Standing Water

Curious if there has been any discussion about driving a Model S through standing water? Obviously there is some depth of standing water (street flooding) that no car would drive through. Again, obviously, 1" of standing water is probably not an issue but what about 6" of standing water?

With the battery pack located at the bottom of the car, has there been any definitive information from Tesla as to what depth of standing water they would recommend NOT driving through?

Mike

Driving through floods

Here in the UK we have had an unusually wet couple of months.

Driving on minor roads one can come across puddles of water across the road, and occasionally these can be inches to feet deep.

What is the deepest water through which one can safely drive the Model S? I assume I would dry brakes after such exposure - I am more concerned about when some electrical or mechanical part is impacted seriously enough to damage or stop the car.

Driving on minor roads one can come across puddles of water across the road, and occasionally these can be inches to feet deep.

What is the deepest water through which one can safely drive the Model S? I assume I would dry brakes after such exposure - I am more concerned about when some electrical or mechanical part is impacted seriously enough to damage or stop the car.

I wouldn't want to drive ANY sedan though more than a few inches of water.

Read up-thread for more info on this.

[Mod Note: threads merged, obviously]