Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Recall? Backup Camera Randomly Stop Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: RyanS
They became mandated in the US a few years ago and many many recalls have been issued regarding backup cameras. For vehicles made before the US mandate, such a failure probably wouldn't have met the bar for a recall since they were not required safety features.

A quick Google search for recall backup camera comes up with these:
Fiat Chrysler is recalling 365,000 vehicles for backup camera issue
Honda recalls 608,000 vehicles over failures of backup camera, instruments
Nissan Recall 2019: Backup camera prompts vehicle recall
BMW Launches Massive Recall Due to Backup Camera Glitch
Toyota Recalls Vehicles for Back-Up Camera Malfunction

Also see
on how 62 kids can fit behind a (battering ram of death class) SUV and not be visible thru the rear window.
And to add to this is another recall: Ford recalls over 700,000 vehicles because backup cameras can go dark.

• Informative
Reactions: RyanS
I didn't see your thread before posting my own, but I have a feeling we're suffering from the same problem.

Backup camera doesn't work after first drive of the day

My backup camera always works the first time I drive the car after it's been asleep, such as parking overnight at home. After going somewhere and parking for at least an hour or so, the backup camera doesn't work when I drive the car again. It doesn't matter if I select camera view from the screen or put the car in reverse. It doesn't come back with standard reset or power off procedures. I've tried disconnecting my Samsung SSD and Blackvue dashcam without success. The only thing that restores it is parking and letting the car sleep overnight. I presume doing a 12V reset would also restore it, but haven't tried.

I'm still under warranty and Tesla mobile service has come out a couple of times to try to fix it. They could not replicate the problem, even though it predictably happens daily. They checked the trunk harness wiring and everything is secure. They checked the connections going to the FSD computer and it is secure. They replaced the camera, which did not stop the problem from coming back.

I figured out that it's related to Sentry Mode, which I presume keeps the car from entering a deeper sleep mode. If I disable Sentry, the problem doesn't occur. That's an unacceptable workaround since the whole point of Sentry is to record while the car is parked.

This doesn't seem to be a fleet-wide problem, otherwise we would have had a flood of people posting about it. It's frustrating that this specific combination of software and hardware in my car is causing this problem, but my neighbor who has the exact same car,(down to production month and VINs within a few hundred of each other) hasn't experienced it.

I have a service center appointment in a few weeks. My suspicion is that they are not going to be able to reproduce it, therefore will have no idea what to fix, and it will keep happening until whatever software gremlin is causing it works it's way out by luck.

I made an appointment at SC and also got a replacement cam from eBay but I haven't installed it, yet. The problem got better after a couple of software updates so I canceled SC appointment. But it's happening again. Now about 2x per week. I may try to replace the cam when I have some spare time. Otherwise, I would have to pay for a new computer. Hope they would give me the newer computer and won't stop my free digital subscription plan.
I was just reading SDKoala and wondering if this is related to Samsung SSD. I am not 100% sure but it started after I installed Samsung SSD. I may try removing the SSD and see if that helps.
This backup cam issue is a real downer. Everything works great and the car is fantastic except when I go reverse. It's a pain in the neck. literally.

Tesla_estimate_-_ryanseo_gmail_com_-_Gmail.jpg

I bought mine in 2018 and it was HW2.5. I believe the current version is 3.0. So if I have to $2k then I want the most current version without losing my lifetime premium connectivity

You're confusing the driving computer (which was 2.5 when you bought and is 3 now) and the media computer (which hasn't changed at all since MCU2 was launched)

I was just reading SDKoala and wondering if this is related to Samsung SSD. I am not 100% sure but it started after I installed Samsung SSD. I may try removing the SSD and see if that helps.

I've had my Samsung SSD for over a year with no backup cam issues. I've been having the backup cam problem for about a month now and reformatted it about 3 weeks ago to make sure it was error free. I haven't tried swapping it out for a different drive yet. That's next on my list of troubleshooting steps. 44.10.1 just got pushed to my car over the weekend, so I don't want to change anything before seeing if that update fixes something.

Finally, a mobile SC tech stopped by today and fixed it. I hope.... According to him, it was a wiring harness and he replaced it with a new one. Cost me $382. I told him that it's a safety issue and Tesla should wave the cost but he didn't wave it. I guess it's possible with all the banging from closng the trunk door. But how do you explain when the camera comes back on after a few hours later? If wiring is bad then it should come back on or flicker if I start opening and closing the trunk door. I tried opening and closing multiple times but the camera never came back on. Well... we will see if I wasted $382 or not. I am glad that it wasn't $2k.
undefined_pdf__page_1_of_2_.jpg

People drove cars for 100+ years without a backup camera. Yours occasionally not working is not a "safety issue".... but yes I'd certainly keep an eye on it and insure you don't pay again if it comes back and this didn't actually fix it

Finally, a mobile SC tech stopped by today and fixed it. I hope.... According to him, it was a wiring harness and he replaced it with a new one. Cost me $382. I told him that it's a safety issue and Tesla should wave the cost but he didn't wave it. I guess it's possible with all the banging from closng the trunk door. But how do you explain when the camera comes back on after a few hours later? If wiring is bad then it should come back on or flicker if I start opening and closing the trunk door. I tried opening and closing multiple times but the camera never came back on. Well... we will see if I wasted $382 or not. I am glad that it wasn't $2k.View attachment 607776

Did it fix it? It's been a couple of days since you posted. I would have known the very next day whether it was still broken, so if it's been two days in a row without failing, I hope it solved it for you.

When mobile came out to try to fix my backup cam problem, the original plan per the service center work order was to replace the harness. That didn't happen as the tech couldn't make the camera fail while jiggling around the connections. Instead, he replaced camera itself without replacing the harness. If it's hardware, it seems like it has to be the harness or the FSD computer itself. It's going to the service center this week to hopefully get it resolved. I'm at 30K miles and 2.5 years, so still plenty of warranty time left. You must have a really long commute to already be over 50K and out of warranty.

For what it's worth, I consider it a safety issue too. The Model 3 has the most difficult view out the rear window of any car I've driven and after being conditioned to depend on the backup cam for the past couple of years, to have that suddenly stop working is unsettling. I've learned to back out without it, but it's not as easy as it should be.

Well... so far so good. I even reconnected Samsung SSD today and still works. I really hope the harness was the cause. If you are still having issues then have SC change your harness. Since you have a warranty, they should also change your computer. It's $2K after the warranty. Yeah, my commute is 100 miles round trip and I am already 70K miles. M3 + autopilot is so perfect for my long commute.

I know, I have gotten so used to using M3 backup cam and when it's not there, it's really unsettling. Without it, I have to be super careful and slow. Some old farts think that backup cam is for sissies. Well... they can drive their model T and run over their dogs, for all I care. I am going to fully utilize the technology and safety features that I paid for.

The next one is my wife's MS. Occasionally, the center monitor goes off and restarts while the car is in motion. Fortunately, Tesla just announced that they are going to fix it for free.