Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Restraint System Fault / Aftermarket Accessories / Service Center Won’t Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re literally right down the road! And you are absolutely right about CR — can’t believe you mentioned them! I actually just picked up my Model 3 on Friday from them; had some damage from road debris on I-80. Eddie, Nicole & John over there are ROCK STARS! Long story best told over a beer but we got acquainted a few years ago after a deer tried (unsuccessfully) to mate with my wife’s car. Here’s a photo of my 3 from Friday - it’s better than new. They’re exception folks; couldn’t be nicer too.

Hope you consider joining our local Tesla Owners’ Club - www.dvto.club - I actually lead the NNJ chapter so always looking for local folks to join our meetups. First round’s on me at the next meetup!
Ha - Small world. They are aces.

Would love to join, thanks for the invite!

Here’s a photo of my 3 from Friday - it’s better than new.

CE04890E-3F44-49B7-9AF5-0B9312ABACA7.jpeg

Looks good, @dmurphy . By the way, if you want to make that white E-ZPass transponder (located behind your center display screen) much less visible and almost blend in completely with the rest of your interior, then you might want to check out one of those E-ZPass covers/skins. Here’s a link to the one I bought for my wife’s vehicle and it works as intended. The fit is perfect and it makes the transponder nearly invisible from the outside.

I'd venture that the errors you're experiencing have got nothing to do with the power trunk/frunk systems. If they did, we'd hear about it all of the time.

The Hansshow display is a different matter, though, because I don't think it's as passive in the same way the frunk/trunk systems are. On balance I don't think it's causing the error though.

That being said you've run into what is ultimately the biggest problem with these kits - since they end up inline with the CANBUS system Tesla can and will simply point at them being the root cause, or a contributory factor, in basically anything electrical (at least low voltage) that goes wrong with the car.

Reactions: PauliePucks
I'd venture that the errors you're experiencing have got nothing to do with the power trunk/frunk systems. If they did, we'd hear about it all of the time.

The Hansshow display is a different matter, though, because I don't think it's as passive in the same way the frunk/trunk systems are. On balance I don't think it's causing the error though.

That being said you've run into what is ultimately the biggest problem with these kits - since they end up inline with the CANBUS system Tesla can and will simply point at them being the root cause, or a contributory factor, in basically anything electrical (at least low voltage) that goes wrong with the car.
Starting to think it may have been a buggy update. Since going to 2022.20.19 (10.69.2.4) I haven’t had the issues. Curious to see if the cold weather coming in can trigger it also. We shall see.

Still no errors since update - I even let my car sit a few days without driving, which is what triggered it last time, and haven’t had an issue since. Guess maybe it was some bad communication.

I also updated available firmware for trunk and frunk to the latest available from evoffer.

All the suppliers are the same, these components have been installed for quite some time and have also been updated to coincide with various OEM firmware updates.

I am fully aware of the inherent risks associated with installing aftermarket products, and I have no issue with teslas stance, which I stated I was grateful for.

If this was a voltage issue it’s quite an easy diagnosis, remove the power to frunk and trunk and disconnect the canbus connections. Nothing tricky or fickle about it really. There have been no voltage warnings, just the safety restraint system one and a “vehicle hold feature unavailable” which is intermittent. I’ve even see these attributed to a bad TPMS sensor.

I was curious if anyone has experienced this fault with these specific addons as I do not believe they tap into the safety restraint system in any capacity (there are many others in this forum with power frunk and trunk accessories installed.)
They tried telling me the same thing about my radar detector plugged into the socket which would be dumb for that to affect any of the electrical components etc because why the hell would they put a socket to plug in 3rd party devices then??

They tried telling me the same thing about my radar detector plugged into the socket which would be dumb for that to affect any of the electrical components etc because why the hell would they put a socket to plug in 3rd party devices then??
Their point is that some third-party devices put off excessive RF that can cause a problem for electronics in the car. For example, I have seen radar detectors cause interference with the GPS signals. (The SRS system has even had problems from RF sources outside the car, and in some cases they had to add filtering to the cabling.)

Their point is that some third-party devices put off excessive RF that can cause a problem for electronics in the car. For example, I have seen radar detectors cause interference with the GPS signals. (The SRS system has even had problems from RF sources outside the car, and in some cases they had to add filtering to the cabling.)
Well I had my radar detector since I purchased the car and this issue didn't start happening until about 2 yeaes later so I really don't think it has anything to do with the RD. And now after I removed it and the problem came back they determined the whole seat needs to be replaced but didn't give me a specific reason why besides that their protocols are indicating that is the next step to take since they already replaced the sensor and determined it wasn't because of 3rd party device.

I had the same error for my front driver seat. Service was charging me $455 to come and replace the harness under the seat. I did some research and found out they are adding ferrite filters to the cables. I bought a set of ferrites from Amazon and added them to all cables under my seat. The issue was kinda fixed after adding the filters. Then I found out that moving the seat vertically brings back the error. So I removed vertical movement from my easy mode and so far the error has not come back. Fingers crossed. I’m definitely not paying $2k for a seat replacement since I am out of warranty.
D8D60102-F4D4-4687-B130-73C38EDDEB5E.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Coming over the other thread.

My story about my '22 MYP is in that thread. Same error except mine is rear left safety restraint. I had no mods on my vehicle when the error came on initially and still don't have any electrical related mods on the vehicle. Seems like it is electrical interference related and I can't wait to try the ferrite fix. Fingers crossed it works for me. I'm gonna put those little buggers all over front and back seat wiring. Hope there isn't a downside in doing that.