Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Restraint system fault, Front Passenger: 2021 Model Y, 7 mo/15KM, under warranty, fixed in two hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that there are quite a few of these, so I thought I would throw in my $0.02.

Got the Model Y in Oakville, Ontario about 8 months ago, 2021, ~15 km, dual motor, long range. This is the first broken part that needed service.

I scheduled service, and they repaired it within two hours of me bringing it in. Zero cost. Service center did not tell me the exact problem, or any details about what repair was needed.

From other's posts, there seem to be quite a few Model 3 and Model Y with this issue, is different seats, and a variety of charges depending on the service required. In most cases, it looks like a faulty wire connector.

My completely uninformed, ignorant opinion is that there is a manufacturing defect that causes this problem quite a bit. Hopefully, Tesla redesigns something to prevent this in future vehicles. Mine is pretty recent, so it doesn't look like they have addressed it at all.

Reactions: yellowr6
Mine was the connector badly seated. The connector itself isn't faulty, it doesn't need a new design. It had not locked when initially put in, that's all. If it's a machine connecting it, the machine might need calibration. If it's a human, well, maybe it needs calibration too :p

Now, you might hear it "often" on a forum like this but you have no idea of the real percentage of cases over the whole fleet of cars they've sold. Forums almost exclusively contain problems and complaints, yet I believe they are a very small percentage of the whole user base.

My wife’s model Y at 31,000 miles is occasionally getting this passenger restraint warning . After three or four days of the warning, I scheduled a SC visit. Then, the warning went away and hasn’t been back. Very strange. If the warning stays off for another few days, I’m going to cancel the SC visit. Of course, the warning will probably come back immediately after I cancel the visit.