Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault (RCM_a050) [SC says rodent damage]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Model 3 for 2years almost and seeing this issue in last two months.
It suddenly pop-up one day (in month of May) on the screen so we set an appointment with Tesla Service and they said it is "rodent (or bunny) damage". They replace some harness and it got fixed. We are happy. :)
In next 10-days, same fault came up and they did exact same thing and got fixed. Charge was $180+Tax.

In 5-days, same issue came and Service team is saying you need to pay every-time $180+tax to fix the issue.

I am parking my car "INSIDE CLOSE Garage" and we are 100% sure that there is NO animal in the garage then how fault is coming again and again (that is within 5days of fix)?
Also, I have two more car and there is NO SIGN for any type of "rodent damage".

FYI: Rodent damage is not cover in Warranty.

Any one facing same/similar issue? If so, what is the solution? or Alternative?
I DO NOT want to spend one more time 180+tax..

Any advise would be Greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• tesla_error.jpg
    tesla_error.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 632
Just because you are parking in a closed garage, that doesnt mean there are no rodents in it. They should be able to show you a chewed harness. Similar type threads about rodent damage:

Maybe one of those threads has some information about deterrents or something. Dont assume because your garage is closed, there are no rodents in it, though. Your other cars not having damage also doesnt mean much. Some newer cars have a covering on wires / harnesses that rodents like.

Just because you are parking in a closed garage, that doesnt mean there are no rodents in it. They should be able to show you a chewed harness. Similar type threads about rodent damage:

Maybe one of those threads has some information about deterrents or something. Dont assume because your garage is closed, there are no rodents in it, though. Your other cars not having damage also doesnt mean much. Some newer cars have a covering on wires / harnesses that rodents like.
I completely understand what you said but we have two more cars and no sign on that. Also, I don't see any other sign (foot-steps, poop etc)..Thanks for providing other threads. Will sure check it.

I have Model 3 for 2years almost and seeing this issue in last two months.
It suddenly pop-up one day (in month of May) on the screen so we set an appointment with Tesla Service and they said it is "rodent (or bunny) damage". They replace some harness and it got fixed. We are happy. :)
In next 10-days, same fault came up and they did exact same thing and got fixed. Charge was $180+Tax.

In 5-days, same issue came and Service team is saying you need to pay every-time $180+tax to fix the issue.

I am parking my car "INSIDE CLOSE Garage" and we are 100% sure that there is NO animal in the garage then how fault is coming again and again (that is within 5days of fix)?
Also, I have two more car and there is NO SIGN for any type of "rodent damage".

FYI: Rodent damage is not cover in Warranty.

Any one facing same/similar issue? If so, what is the solution? or Alternative?
I DO NOT want to spend one more time 180+tax..

Any advise would be Greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Because you've had the same problem so many times, I doubt it's rodents. But having said that, parking a car in a garage is no guarantee that rodents, especially mice won't get at your car. They can squeeze thru the tiniest cracks in masonry or wooden walls. But it's usually warmth that draws them. And since there is virtually no generation of heat from a Tesla motor, that's another reason I doubt that rodents are doing this.

My 23 month old Model 3 AWD displayed a Safety Restraint System Fault warning last week. The local Tesla tech told me they ran a remote diagnostic and let me know that there was a fault in the front air bag wiring harness and that it may be rodent damaged. I took it in to the local service center and the chewed wiring harness was removed and replaced in about 90 minutes and $175 later. I was also able to retrieve the old harness before I left the service center and yes, it was definitely chewed through by a rat or some other critter. As this forum notes that this has been an issue with other Tesla owners, Tesla should develop a longer solution to prevent this issue from re-occuring.

Attachments

• tesla harness damage - 4.jpeg
    tesla harness damage - 4.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 343
  • tesla harness damage - 3.jpeg
    tesla harness damage - 3.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 294
  • tesla harness damage - 2.jpeg
    tesla harness damage - 2.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 314
  • tesla harness damage - 1.jpeg
    tesla harness damage - 1.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
My 23 month old Model 3 AWD displayed a Safety Restraint System Fault warning last week. The local Tesla tech told me they ran a remote diagnostic and let me know that there was a fault in the front air bag wiring harness and that it may be rodent damaged. I took it in to the local service center and the chewed wiring harness was removed and replaced in about 90 minutes and $175 later. I was also able to retrieve the old harness before I left the service center and yes, it was definitely chewed through by a rat or some other critter. As this forum notes that this has been an issue with other Tesla owners, Tesla should develop a longer solution to prevent this issue from re-occuring.
Where is this harness located? I am getting the same error (RCM_a050) and would like to inspect it before opening a service ticket.

wife's car has this, and after putting it off for a long time, now they want to install some type of 'filter' on it. It's cheaper than replacing the harness. I'm guessing it's the real fix, and should be applied free even post warranty...