Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick follow up, changing 2 harnesses did nothing as when they changed the harness, the error would come up again. I think the tightness of the connection impacted it, then over time, it came back. I have had the car for 2 weeks after the restrain control module was changed out, so far, I have not had any restraint issues come up, which, sad to say, is atypical for me, but it sounds like it has now finally been resolved after bringing the car in a total of 3 times since last August 2021.

Because of this prolonged issue, I have learned to live with the restraint issue and ignore it.

I got the same error after 4 days of getting my new 2022 Model Y. It was intermittent and then became consistent. Took it to service center. They replaced RCM, re-wired everything, but still the error is not clearing. They are still checking and its been 10days. I'm really worried as its a new car, not even 30days old and spent half the time in the service center

My 2016 has been showing these errors randomly for last month or so. They are quite random and rare, maybe once a week. Error pops up and goes away in a few seconds.

But, it's a different error every time! Sometimes it says "front left safety restraint system fault", sometimes it rear left or rear right or front right.. :)

Come to think of it, I think I have had all locations exactly once, never twice?

Is it possible it's some kind of software bug? I have MCU2 with latest software.

It really can't be the actual seat sensors because certainly they are not all broken. Maybe a loose connector in some SRS control box? At least once the error popped up when I drove over a bump.

My 2016 has been showing these errors randomly for last month or so. They are quite random and rare, maybe once a week. Error pops up and goes away in a few seconds.

But, it's a different error every time! Sometimes it says "front left safety restraint system fault", sometimes it rear left or rear right or front right.. :)

Come to think of it, I think I have had all locations exactly once, never twice?

Is it possible it's some kind of software bug? I have MCU2 with latest software.

It really can't be the actual seat sensors because certainly they are not all broken. Maybe a loose connector in some SRS control box? At least once the error popped up when I drove over a bump.
did you find a fix for it?

I have a 2018 model 3. I had this error pop up for the front driver side seat. Service estimated me $450 to fix the issue since I am out of warranty and I thought screw them. So did some research and found out they are installing noise canceling ferrites to fix the issue. So I bought a pack of ferrites from amazon and installed a bunch on every cable. This kinda fixed the issue. It was only occurring when the seat switches to easy mode. I discovered that the error would only pop up when I move the seat up or down. So I removed the vertical movement in easy mode. My conclusion is that there is some electrical interference between vertical movement motor cable and seat pressure sensor. Fingers crossed the issue has not come back so far.

I've been getting this for about 6 months now on my 2018 X 100D. It comes and goes. Whenever it pops up I quickly try and do the voice command "bug report" and then say "safety restraint system fault" as it takes full screen grabs of the error on screen and also logs the time for whenever I do bring the car in. I leave the rear seats down mostly (5 seater) so I always assumed it was some error because of that. Almost always the restraint fault is the rear seats. Doesn't seem to serious an issue.

Reactions: Anthony R.
I have a 2018 model 3. I had this error pop up for the front driver side seat. Service estimated me $450 to fix the issue since I am out of warranty and I thought screw them. So did some research and found out they are installing noise canceling ferrites to fix the issue. So I bought a pack of ferrites from amazon and installed a bunch on every cable. This kinda fixed the issue. It was only occurring when the seat switches to easy mode. I discovered that the error would only pop up when I move the seat up or down. So I removed the vertical movement in easy mode. My conclusion is that there is some electrical interference between vertical movement motor cable and seat pressure sensor. Fingers crossed the issue has not come back so far.
First, this is a Model X forum, you might get better answers on the Model 3 forum. But with that being said, My model 3 had this exact problem, and it was driver set wiring harness that needed to be replaced. Apparently the original was just a bit too short, and with the seat adjusted full aft, it pulled on one of the connectors, eventually breaking it. A mobile tech fixed it at my home, but it took him a couple of hours to complete. He had the part on his truck, so it must not be that uncommon for it to fail. Mine is a 2019, and happened a couple of years into my ownership. Warranty covered it.

Honestly that is the only service issue I've had with the Model 3.

Yeeeahh, its back again ;D haha. It came back today when driving to the kindergarten. SO my best guess is some sensor is on the fritz in the backseat where one or both of my kids sits. Took the car seats out when delivering to the service center in case the car was gonna sit there for a long time, and thats probably why they could not replicate it. So what baffles me is that even WITH the error codes, they couldn't figure out what was wrong and where. Are those codes just random? Dont they have any form of "manual" where they can read what code states what?

WELL, just have to book a new appointment then. Now the waiting period is 2 months. Tesla seriously needs to up the number of service centers in this town. They are pumping out cars here in Norway, but not scaling for the demand of service. It seriously bad that you have to wait 2 months to get something as a "Safety restraing system fault" checked, and when they do check it, does something, and it doesn't work and you have to wait another 1/6 of a year. Over booked and over worked at that center. Not much they can do about it...
I have same error last few days on 22 MX. I also took out and replaced a car seat for kid. It started after, so maybe something there.

Did you use latch system? I did. Had some trouble putting it in, maybe I jiggle something?

It went away. Probably a software update fixed it.

Replying to myself. It didn't go away, has still happened randomly.

It's weird, car just beeps and shows up the warning, then the warning goes away in a few seconds. It is randomly indicated for all seats, front and rear. So I doubt there's actually anything wrong in the seats or seatbelts.

But it's really rare, happens perhaps once a month. And only lasts those few seconds, so it's not really any issue.

Reactions: Fiver
So tech here. He says mine showed drivers seat in their logs. My warning was not specific. So baby seat not the issue.

I do remember I was cleaning car and moved my seat into extreme front and up position. Idk he still working on it. But says if deep reset doesn't fix I gotta bring it in.

Whenever it pops up I quickly try and do the voice command "bug report" and then say "safety restraint system fault" as it takes full screen grabs of the error on screen and also logs the time for whenever I do bring the car in.
So just to update on this.. I finally had to bring the car in for some unrelated stuff and mentioned that I was getting the rear safety restraint warnings. I also mentioned all the bug reports I had filed so it would be easy for them to track it down in the logs. Except I hadn't been driving the car much in the last month, and hadn't seen a warning in that time.

Turns out the car only saves 30 days of logs, so all the bug reports I filed just vanished after 30 days. Since I hadn't had a seat restraint error in the past month there was no record of it happening. They said they couldn't do anything about it.