Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score affected while parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else here got their score jacked-up while parking (receiving "Stop" warnings but you know you have at least a foot of clearance)? I got deducted heavily for forward collision warnings while parking in my garage. I had to park really closely to one side to work on something but didn't hit a damn thing. My daily score, as a result is a laughable 31!!! I am so pissed-off right now. I've had my score of 98 for weeks and now it's 97. :mad:🤬🤬 F - U Elon!! This safety score algorithm that cannot take in the proper data when the car is moving at less than 5 mph, is a POS and belongs in the trash.

Last edited:
This safety score is a joke, i was going on a street when Noone was in front of me then suddenly from left side someone came out and made aggressive left turn towards me and i had no choice other then hitting brake and there you go my safety scores on hard brake hitting, same thing i was going straight and light turned yellow and from upcoming traffic someone was coming and to beat the light made turn and i had second to hit the brake, otherwise will hit the car and again hard hit brakes and scores gone, even though at both time pressed brake a lil. In one day hard score went from 100 to 97. And i paid 10k for FSD, so gotta wait again to get beta still in queue.

Has anyone else here got their score jacked-up while parking (receiving "Stop" warnings but you know you have at least a foot of clearance)? I got deducted heavily for forward collision warnings while parking in my garage. I had to park really closely to one side to work on something but didn't hit a damn thing. My daily score, as a result is a laughable 31!!! I am so pissed-off right now. I've had my score of 98 for weeks and now it's 97. :mad:🤬🤬 F - U Elon!! This safety score algorithm that cannot take in the proper data when the car is moving at less than 5 mph, is a POS and belongs in the trash.
No, that’s not how it works. Forward collision warnings don’t go off at low speeds and they definitely don’t go off for parking. Something else while driving is what caused that forward collision warning.

No, that’s not how it works. Forward collision warnings don’t go off at low speeds and they definitely don’t go off for parking. Something else while driving is what caused that forward collision warning.
Not sure if that is true. It happened on more than one occasion and only recently. How can I have 102 FCWs during a 35 min drive without being in a crash?!? Notice the Unsafe Following is a bit fat ZERO! How is it possible to get 102 FCW without following something closely?? Perhaps the due to the OTA update I have installed recently. 44.30.05 a week ago then I got 44.30.08 yesterday.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 8.17.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Not sure if that is true. It happened on more than one occasion and only recently. How can I have 102 FCWs during a 35 min drive without being in a crash?!? Notice the Unsafe Following is a bit fat ZERO! How is it possible to get 102 FCW without following something closely?? Perhaps the due to the OTA update I have installed recently. 44.30.05 a week ago then I got 44.30.08 yesterday.

View attachment 759043

You are not understanding how it works. Forward collision warnings are only at speeds above 15 mph. Unsafe following is only at speeds above 50.

So in order for you to have gotten a forward collision warning and 0 unsafe following, you were going between 15 MPH and 50 MPH when it happened.

FCW are per 1,000 miles. So if your trip score was 101.9, that means that trip was less than 10 miles. (or you got 2 and your trip was more than 10 mi but less than 100 miles)

Notice the Unsafe Following is a bit fat ZERO! How is it possible to get 102 FCW without following something closely??
If you're 10 car lengths behind someone and not paying attention to him quickly decelerating in front of you waiting until the last second to brake, that's a common scenario that'd trigger a FCW. That would not have also been an Unsafe Following event.

• Helpful
Reactions: N1L CO2
It’s funny I got a FCW a few days ago going up a steep hill, a car stopped at a stop sign a half block ahead and I continued to safely approach and got an FCW. I also get a hard brake demerit every time I go down my own street as it’s San Francisco. The safety score is BS and just a tactic to stall on delivering FSD or refunding money. I do not need to qualify for FSD beta and I certainly didn’t demand Tesla qualify to take my $10k.

It’s funny I got a FCW a few days ago going up a steep hill, a car stopped at a stop sign a half block ahead and I continued to safely approach and got an FCW. I also get a hard brake demerit every time I go down my own street as it’s San Francisco. Thank goodness it lets me run stop signs, speed, and punish me enjoying the handling on curvey mountain roads - we are all so much safer. The safety score is BS and just a tactic to stall on delivering FSD or refunding money. I do not need to qualify for FSD beta and I certainly didn’t demand Tesla qualify to take my $10k.

The Tesla Safety score isa joke as the means to qualify for the functionality that I was promised and requested via the "button". I have a Tesla Safety Score of 100 now for over 2 months of perfect driving in my MY each day, using the standard FSD on my daily commute and still no FSD beta activated.

IMHO Elon deployed the Tesla Safety score as a quick placebo for a high number of dissatisfied FSD customers and postponing the deployment of the latest working version of FSD Beta that we desire and paid a premium at delivery!

Don't get me wrong, love the MY, but just want the full FSD functionality that Elon has been tweeting for years!

If you're 10 car lengths behind someone and not paying attention to him quickly decelerating in front of you waiting until the last second to brake, that's a common scenario that'd trigger a FCW. That would not have also been an Unsafe Following event.
That's a good point and that's the sort of thing I want to voice here. There are so many unforeseen events on the city streets and on the highway. Someone darting in front of you, someone cutting you off suddenly causing you to react accordingly. Just because you have been traveling at some f'ing arbitrary speed (15-50mph) set by someone, warning is triggered without taking all the variables into the calculation? You really shouldn't be penalized for that. It's even discriminatory against people who live in a more densely populated area with heavier traffic with higher probability of triggering these events.

At this point, I just feel like I am being held hostage with Safety Score to receive FSD. And like some have said, even with a qualifying score, FSD still seems out of reach for most. I could have put the $10k in the stocks for the past 1.5 years and made 20%, conservatively. Instead, I am paying interest on that money for "vaporware".

Simply put, I just want what I f'ing paid for. Not having it dangling in front of me like I am some lab-rat! :mad:

Last edited:
You are not understanding how it works. Forward collision warnings are only at speeds above 15 mph. Unsafe following is only at speeds above 50.

So in order for you to have gotten a forward collision warning and 0 unsafe following, you were going between 15 MPH and 50 MPH when it happened.

FCW are per 1,000 miles. So if your trip score was 101.9, that means that trip was less than 10 miles. (or you got 2 and your trip was more than 10 mi but less than 100 miles)
So if a truck darts in front of me suddenly while I am moving between 15-50 mph, thus closing the safe distance I had with the car in front of me, I should be the one to get f'd over? This is exactly why I am calling BS on the Safety Score algorithm. 😫

Something doesn't sound right.... I have < 1" clearance on the front of my Tesla when I park in the garage, so I get the STOP message dozens of times a day.. I also got zero deductions for it... If you get a forward collision deduction, that means you had to have gotten an actual forward collision warning with the flashing red car on your screen. Yes, I've gotten it several times for cars that werent' even in my lane, but that's what a scroll wheel reboot is for :p

Reactions: mangrove79
It’s funny I got a FCW a few days ago going up a steep hill, a car stopped at a stop sign a half block ahead and I continued to safely approach and got an FCW. I also get a hard brake demerit every time I go down my own street as it’s San Francisco. The safety score is BS and just a tactic to stall on delivering FSD or refunding money. I do not need to qualify for FSD beta and I certainly didn’t demand Tesla qualify to take my $10k.
I live on a steep hill too... It took me several days to figure out the threshold for stopping in the middle of the hill without getting dinged... Luckily tho, it seems hard braking deductions aren't that much... It's the forward collision warnings that will screw you. I usually only got deducted 1 point for hard braking, but forward collision usually deducted at least 10 points.

So if a truck darts in front of me suddenly while I am moving between 15-50 mph, thus closing the safe distance I had with the car in front of me, I should be the one to get f'd over? This is exactly why I am calling BS on the Safety Score algorithm. 😫
No, because that would be a very minuscule amount of time. If you slow down to compensate, your unsafe following distance would be less than 1% which wouldn’t even register.

If you are out for a 30 min drive and the truck darts in front of you for 5 seconds, that’s 0.2%.

Reactions: Big Earl
If you get a forward collision deduction, that means you had to have gotten an actual forward collision warning with the flashing red car on your screen.
Technically that's not true. Whether you get a red warning on your screen is based on your settings - mild, aggressive, etc. Tesla SS states explicitly that the FCW it tracks is independent of your setting, so it's perfectly possible that you can get two FCWs counted towards SS on a drive and not getting any notification. It's happened to me more than once.

I totally understand the OP's frustration. $10K for the promise of a feature but not allowing buyers to help make it a reality (non-beta). From Tesla's perspective, it's reasonable to reduce their liability for accidents when a particular locale happens to have lots of dangerous drivers around you, at least until their FSD algorithm is somewhat mature. At its current maturity, using it in Manhattan traffic would be a lot more dangerous than a human driver I'm sure, and a lot more frustrating for everyone I'm sure.

Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
Technically that's not true. Whether you get a red warning on your screen is based on your settings - mild, aggressive, etc. Tesla SS states explicitly that the FCW it tracks is independent of your setting, so it's perfectly possible that you can get two FCWs counted towards SS on a drive and not getting any notification. It's happened to me more than once.

I totally understand the OP's frustration. $10K for the promise of a feature but not allowing buyers to help make it a reality (non-beta). From Tesla's perspective, it's reasonable to reduce their liability for accidents when a particular locale happens to have lots of dangerous drivers around you, at least until their FSD algorithm is somewhat mature. At its current maturity, using it in Manhattan traffic would be a lot more dangerous than a human driver I'm sure, and a lot more frustrating for everyone I'm sure.
Regardless, the forward collision warnings are completely independent of the STOP message from the parking sensors... That was my point. But FWIW, IIRC, the default settings is the same sensitivity as what the safety score is using.. I left mine at the default settings, and if I get zero notifications, I got zero deductions. But like I said, my point was about the parking sensors being not related to any deductions.

Earlier someone said the FCW only can be triggered when driving over 15 mph (similar to the Unsafe Following which only counts when driving over 50 mph). However, reading the description on the website does not mention anything about the FCW only counts when driving over 15 mph. It implies it could be triggered at any time. If someone has different information please share where that information can be found.

Regardless, the forward collision warnings are completely independent of the STOP message from the parking sensors... That was my point. But FWIW, IIRC, the default settings is the same sensitivity as what the safety score is using.. I left mine at the default settings, and if I get zero notifications, I got zero deductions. But like I said, my point was about the parking sensors being not related to any deductions.
LOL, I wasn't trying to argue with the rest of what you said. I ONLY quoted the part that could be misleading to the OP. Of course, it's a no-brainer the STOP message doesn't count towards SS, or else everyone's score would be below 50. The OP's premise was based on mostly frustration, not clear thinking as evidenced by the "F-U Elon" and his totally not understanding what 101.9 means. FCW clears states it's per 1,000 miles. But I think he may be in the group where his setting on FCW is not showing him any visual/audio warnings even though FCW did occur. We're all trying to give the OP the correct answers and definitive information. Don't be so defensive, LOL.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: N1L CO2
Thanks so much, this is perfect. So it is 3 mph not 15 mph. that triggers the FCW That explains why when slowly parking in the garage or backing out of the garage slowly it does not trigger the FCW. Just have to do it slowly.

Follow up question, what is the deal with the alert? Assuming someone is not already pushing on the brake, if you get a FCW strike, it will make an audible alert (as well as a visual alert on the dashboard somewhere).

I get my new tesla with fsd this week and was thinking I should try driving around with the more sensitive FCW setting for a couple of days, because if I can drive with the alert not going off, at the higher sensitivity setting, then when the safety score is monitoring my driving at the medium level which is more sensitive, it should never go off. Not sure I am being clear, but really just worried about the FCW score because it has such a large impact on the overall safety score.