Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score after FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all honesty it’s a bit of BS… Bought a model S Plaid with FSD and now I have to earn it with a score? Couple issues here… 1- I specifically purchased a Plaid to go fast. 2- I paid 10k for FSD… using FSD and not using FSD is completely separate. Yes, I like strong acceleration at times when I am fully in charge of the car, but I also have easy days I’d like my car to drive me to pick up milk. Am I the only one that thinks this is bs?
You can try a SS reset, but YMMV. I'm trying this (linked to what I did below). The guy from DragTimes did this with his Plaid (also linked below) and had no trouble getting into the beta despite having a score of like 5 (lol) before doing the reset.

I (and I think a lot of other people) feel your pain w.r.t. having to "earn" a feature you paid good money for. It really does feel like BS. However, given what I've seen FSD beta do, it's definitely not ready for anyone to just "try out" on a whim. If you want to be savvy, you have to muck with your car a little bit and drive 100 miles like a "safe" person and can then resume driving how you like. If you don't care all too much or aren't up to date on the forums and Tesla-specific news sites, you'll get the update according to how conservatively you like your ride.

This will eventually go GA once they've gotten the car to be 10x less murder-y. Until then, you've gotta either be really aware of how the beta is capable of killing you or so uncomfortable with Autopilot's driving style that you'll take over every chance you get.

Reactions: K5TRX
In all honesty it’s a bit of BS… Bought a model S Plaid with FSD and now I have to earn it with a score? Couple issues here… 1- I specifically purchased a Plaid to go fast. 2- I paid 10k for FSD… using FSD and not using FSD is completely separate. Yes, I like strong acceleration at times when I am fully in charge of the car, but I also have easy days I’d like my car to drive me to pick up milk. Am I the only one that thinks this is bs?
If you’re saying you expected to get real full self driving immediately by paying for the FSD option, you should have done some homework before plunking down $10k. You could have also tried out FSD for a couple of months on a subscription basis before paying for it. Not knowing what you’re actually buying from Tesla usually results in disappointment.

For some reason I still see my safety score..maybe because I also have a third party app? Stats?It initially disappeared but then returned since 10.3.1
I have had 10.3.1 then 10.4 and now 10.5 and still have my safety score. I also use TeslaScope and TeslaFi which show score details. I have kept my score up. I wonder if the score is removed if you drop down?

I have had 10.3.1 then 10.4 and now 10.5 and still have my safety score. I also use TeslaScope and TeslaFi which show score details. I have kept my score up. I wonder if the score is removed if you drop down?
That is interesting that you can still see the score. Can you see it in the Tesla app itself, or just in the other apps? FWIW, my safety score disappeared the next day, prior to any more driving, so in my case at least it didn't go away due to a drop (I had a 100 when I got the FSD).

The future product, Full Self Driving, is not the same as the FSD Beta.

Investor Ross Gerber claims to have bought his way into FSD Beta with what appears to be an investment in Tesla of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Unless you spent $100 Million, you did not buy your way into the FSD Beta. You bought a future product, Full Self Driving, that was not complete. Each year, Tesla has released more components of FSD: Summon, Navigate on AutoPilot, Street Signs, Traffic Lights, etc. But the last component, City Streets, is not yet delivered.

Here is How Drag Times got the FSD Beta even though they like strong acceleration in their Plaid too.
Here are Three Quick Tips For A Higher Tesla Safety Score And One Secret Weapon that are really good.

You can do this.

Reactions: Phlier
That is interesting that you can still see the score. Can you see it in the Tesla app itself, or just in the other apps? FWIW, my safety score disappeared the next day, prior to any more driving, so in my case at least it didn't go away due to a drop (I had a 100 when I got the FSD).
I can see my Safety Score in the Tesla App, TeslaScope, and TeslaFi. I kept my score at 100 for weeks now. I just got cut off by a truck on AP and dropped to a 99 but for now still have my score. Again, I have had 10.3.1 then 10.4 and now 10.5 and still have my safety score.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmanner
I haven't done any launches since I got the FSD Beta, but I have lightened up a bit on my conservative driving. I now drive more or less like I was before, some snappy accelerations, nice powered curves on onramps, fun merging, etc. No warnings. I have never had a car forced autopilot disengagement, before FSD beta or after, so that hasn't been a concern of mine. I keep my hands on the wheel always. One thing that the beta safety score did for me that is good is causing me to focus more on following distance. I was never particularly bad about tail gating, but the safety score process made me very aware of how important it is to give more room at high speed. I'm a better driver now because of it I believe.

I have done plenty of things that would wreck a safety score: plenty of FCWs, hard cornering, and likely hard braking. Been on FSD beta since 10.2.
Thanks to you both, I will go back to driving "normally", with the below caviots.

@mmanner, The same transformation happened to me while being graded by the Safety Score. It made me acutely aware of the stupid things we do while driving. Actions that can enrage and endanger others. It was a subconscious transformation. I am a safer driver now just by being exposed to safety scoring. I think more about how to drive defensively. I think about biting my lip rather than flipping someone off (a sign of respect in Boston). I now feel responsible to not enrage someone and have them storm off and cause an accident. Forget about autonomy, just exposing folks to safety scoring, as more insurance companies are, will drastically reduce the 35K we kill in traffic accidents every year.

Last edited:
I can see my Safety Score in the Tesla App, TeslaScope, and TeslaFi. I kept my score at 100 for weeks now. I just got cut off by a truck on AP and dropped to a 99 but for now still have my score. Again, I have had 10.3.1 then 10.4 and now 10.5 and still have my safety score.
The "Stats" app for iOS used to show safety score after getting the beta, but for the last few weeks it hasn't.

As of today, it pops up a dialog box saying something like, "you're in the beta, so you don't get to see your score."

Reactions: mmanner

$10K bought us AutoPark, Summon, Navigate on AutoPilot, and Traffic Light pings, nothing more!
FSD Beta may take you to get milk, if you are very careful.
But it won't be 'easy', and could get you killed.

Those of us proud owners of FSD have been given the opportunity to experience the state of the art in autonomous vehicles and contribute to its development.
This is a very rare opportunity, one that comes with great responsibility.
As soon as we screw up and cause serious accidents because we were not paying attention, the Beta program will experience major setbacks.

FSD is not ready for release and may never be.
FSD is in Beta, we have volunteered to identify edge cases, period.
No expectation of performance, now or in the future, is relevant.

FSD Beta requires constant monitoring, holding the wheel tightly and hovering over the brake pedal 110% of the time.
Right now in version 10.5, the car can turn directly into oncoming objects and slam on the brakes at the wrong time.

The Safety Score is a necessary hurdle to weed out folks that cannot drive with an extremely high level of attentiveness, defensive skills, and patience.
Especially those that think they deserve it.

Last edited:
For those having questions, this is what Teslascope shows me after the upgrade. I did have to actually enable FSD and accept the T&Cs before the menu went away.

1638417402707.png

weird....still have my safety scores even after several weeks. cant believe im at 100
Do you guys have Tesla Insurance? What state are you guys in? I am in the same situation. Safety Score still in app after installing beta. Try reinstalling app, and scroll wheel and menu reset in car. I have Tesla insurance and in California. Wondering if it is the reason.

i got 44.25.6 a couple of days ago, but I still have the safety score showing. I have read that the score goes away, mine isn't. I understand that this release is FSD 10.8. with holiday release. I see other features, not FSD, what gives?
Try different method of resets for the car and log in and out of the app on the phone. It could be because you are from Illinois. Regardless if you have Tesla insurance, the score is still there for rate purposes and other means. Let us know if it disappears. Thanks.

Here I am over two months into FSD Beta and I still have my Safety Score. Facts:
I am still at 100. Maybe you keep the score until it goes down?
I am in Illinois, a state that just opened up for insurance. I did get a quote a week ago.
To keep my score that high I have done resets to delete bad trips.
I have TeslaFi and TeslaScope and have updated scores on both.

I have had a piece of black tape covering the cabin camera since I got my M3 in August 2018. Must I remove the tape (allowing the camera to capture my face) to allow FSD Beta to work?

I am now at a 97 safety score. Once I reach 98 or better, how long normally does it take Tesla to send me the FSD Beta update?