Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score after initial 7 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since today (10/1/21) is the 7th day since the start of the Safety Score data collection, does anyone know if Safety Scores collected after the 7th day (10/2/21 & beyond) will also be included in Tesla's review of your scores?
Say after the 7th day my score is 90/100. That would mean I probably wouldn't get included in the FSD Beta group for a few days. Just wondering if the score collected at the end of the 7th day is fixed, or if the score evaluated continues to change?

Since today (10/1/21) is the 7th day since the start of the Safety Score data collection, does anyone know if Safety Scores collected after the 7th day (10/2/21 & beyond) will also be included in Tesla's review of your scores?
Say after the 7th day my score is 90/100. That would mean I probably wouldn't get included in the FSD Beta group for a few days. Just wondering if the score collected at the end of the 7th day is fixed, or if the score evaluated continues to change?
I would say add one more week on to your 7 day so far, so keep driving safely to achieve as close to 100 as possible.

Reactions: spsheridan
To me it seems reasonable that Tesla would use the cumulative scoring as long as it is useful for Big Beta FSD. If it takes 60 days to go through the scores that Tesla believes are safe enough to allocate the code to those it allows to participate in FSD, then the score will be used during that period. In fact, they may continue to use the score once you get the FSD for an indeterminant time to help them determine those unsafe drivers needing their access revoked from FSD once they got it.

To me it seems reasonable that Tesla would use the cumulative scoring as long as it is useful for Big Beta FSD. If it takes 60 days to go through the scores that Tesla believes are safe enough to allocate the code to those it allows to participate in FSD, then the score will be used during that period. In fact, they may continue to use the score once you get the FSD for an indeterminant time to help them determine those unsafe drivers needing their access revoked from FSD once they got it.
I completely agree with you. I think this isn’t the way Tesla originally envisioned this going down, but in light of the recent comments from regulator, investigations and of course the articles written and some bad press, I believe they are in a precarious position and need to do this slowly and as carefully as they can showing they took all possible safety approaches.
I think if they don’t then it’s likely none of us will get it.
sucks, ain’t right, and isn’t really fare.......but IMO it is what it is.....

In hindsight, it seems pointless to request FSD so early without knowing if Tesla will follow through on releasing it to the general public (or, rather, owners who bought FSD). Now I feel like I can't drive "freely" indefinitely -- always thinking of my safety score to the point I'll use my non-FSD Model 3 SR+ for most drives.

I was so caught up in the excitement that I hit the button right away lol.

In hindsight, it seems pointless to request FSD so early without knowing if Tesla will follow through on releasing it to the general public (or, rather, owners who bought FSD). Now I feel like I can't drive "freely" indefinitely -- always thinking of my safety score to the point I'll use my non-FSD Model 3 SR+ for most drives.

I was so caught up in the excitement that I hit the button right away lol.
Then unselect it for now and you don't have to worry any more.

For what it is worth, it is also clear that using autopilot actually hurts your safety score in traffic. I've been dinged for following too closely (with following range set on 5) and hard braking for drives when the triggers that caused those dings were when autopilot was on. It will be interesting to see how Tesla addresses this long-term (including for those who get FSD-beta released to them...since it likely will cause similar dings to what autopilot causes)....

I have also been dinged for hard braking when the only braking was regen. I drove across town and never touched the brake, and was dinged for hard braking. I think this is when you go down steep long hills and stop at the bottom when the regen is on a long time.

Reactions: meh_
I have also been dinged for hard braking when the only braking was regen. I drove across town and never touched the brake, and was dinged for hard braking. I think this is when you go down steep long hills and stop at the bottom when the regen is on a long time.

Hard braking is calculated by g forces experienced. So if regen is kicking in hard enough on a hill to get the accelerometer past a certain point, it hits you as a hard brake.

Hard Breaking is calculated like this.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 9.40.49 AM.png

Reactions: T-Racer