Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score "aggressive turning" factors not logical or safe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety Score "aggressive turning": Often while stopped at intersections with heavy traffic I have to step hard on the accelerator while turning in order to safely merge into heavy traffic. I am getting aggressive turning deductions to my "Safety Score" on almost every trip I take for merging safely into traffic! Aggressive turning scoring factors need to be adjusted to consider real world driving situations.

Last edited:
I have no personal stake in this game given I drive an AP1 MD90D. I think the key thing is that the criteria are really as much or more about rating the conditions in which you drive as it is how you drive. The driving behavior of that @audiofan describes may be the absolute best way to handle that situation. However, what the safety score reflects is that fact they are encountering a situation which requires a driver to respond in a way that the current FSD Beta software would face a greater challenge and may not be really ready to handle.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: audiofan
Safety Score "aggressive turning": Often while stopped at intersections with heavy traffic I have to step hard on the accelerator while turning in order to safely merge into heavy traffic. I am getting aggressive turning deductions to my "Safety Score" on almost every trip I take for merging safely into traffic! Aggressive turning scoring factors need to be adjusted to consider real world driving situations.

Here is what constitutes an Aggressive Turning. It's all math based...

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 11.39.54 PM.png

Here is what constitutes an Aggressive Turning. It's all math based...

View attachment 719445
The point is whether it makes sense, not how it's calculated. It does not. It's completely ridiculous. Nothing about the turns I've made could be interpreted as aggressive - or unsafe, because let's face it, that's what Tesla is trying so hard to show to the regulators it cares so much about. Yet again, Tesla is happy to go all beta on us - but now it's all about backpedaling and lawyers.

The point is whether it makes sense, not how it's calculated. It does not. It's completely ridiculous. Nothing about the turns I've made could be interpreted as aggressive - or unsafe, because let's face it, that's what Tesla is trying so hard to show to the regulators it cares so much about. Yet again, Tesla is happy to go all beta on us - but now it's all about backpedaling and lawyers.
Again, my point is it's about whether the environment you are driving is is safe from the capabilities of the current beta FSD software.

I can envision a variety of roads with tight corners where you could be perfectly driving the speed limit but trip this lateral acceleration limit. Screening those out cars that regularly encounter those types of driving environments can be about the fact that the software is not yet up to handling those conditions such that Tesla does not want to include those in the first roll-out.

I get the frustration. I actually have more sympathy for owners with early AP2 cars with MCU1 that bought FSD and are not getting evening the option of playing the game. As much as I personally dislike the rampant filing of class action lawsuits in our society, I will not be surprised if there is one launched before long demanding that Tesla must upgrade all those with MCU1 to MCU2 that purchased FSD for their cars to be "FSD capable" as claimed and sold by Tesla at the time.

My situation is a bit different. I'm getting dinged for aggressive turning at less than five mph.

I have and older home with a detached garage with very limited access. The hard turns to safely get my car into the garage (and to reach my charging cable) are apparently hitting my score. Just pulling into my drive also seems to be a problem.

May never get to try FSD without some help...