Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score and Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve always felt Auto Pilot was a little slow to react to stopped or slowing traffic, well today I saw the negative side to that issue.

Having signed up for the FSD beta and thusly taking part in the Safety Score program I experienced an occurrence when I had to disengage Auto Pilot when the car did not react properly when approaching multiple lane choices at a stop light. I selected the lane that had the most room to make the stop safely but did have to brake a little harder than I would have if I had been in complete control before braking.

Result… a ding for hard braking in my Safety Score. I feel confident that the score would not have been impacted had I not disengaged and let Auto Pilot make the same stop.

Lesson learned………

Reactions: nerwork_guy
Anything during Ap doesnt count towards safety score so yes you would have been better leaving AP to deal with it!
It looks like this is not the case. I had a drive today (about 75 miles) which I am able to do almost entirely on AP. There are a couple of construction zones and challenging areas where I will always take over, but AP is in control for the most part.

As the OP noted, AP can be a little late to the parade when it comes to slowing down for stopped traffic, it *will* do it, but it's not always a great experience. So I let it do it's late braking thing a couple of times. And I was summarily dinged on my Safety Score for hard braking.

Likewise, my car lives to report a "forward collision warning" just about every time I crest a hill and there is bright sun casting dark shadows at the top. I had 3 of those happen on my drive while on AP today and I was absolutely dinged for all of them.

Finally, AP decided that it didn't need to slow down during an S-curve that I would normally navigate myself and I'm 80% certain that that's where the ding for "Aggressive Turning" came from. It wasn't dangerous, but I would certainly go through it slower if I had anybody with me and I was driving myself.

So my Pretty good "96" (don't ask about my initial 3 mile drive through a parking lot and stopping short in my garage that started me with at "79") is now sitting at "91".

So, while I normally use AP a LOT, I'll be disengaging it for any remotely challenging situation going forward, much as I would if I had passengers in the car. The existing AP is *way* too rough around the edges to trust in most high traffic situations off highway, and is frankly no dream when coming up on stopped highway traffic as well), so if I'm going to be punished for it, I'll make sure I'm being punished for my own driving rather than AP's mischances.

Anything during Ap doesnt count towards safety score so yes you would have been better leaving AP to deal with it!
Not true. I did an AP drive yesterday and it got confused by some lanes in a construction area. Hard left zig... -1 pt. Considering what I have seen posted by some folks, I feel lucky and I'll let them know what FSD Beta is like before them. ;-)

SS

Not true at all. One of the metrics is even how often AP disengages because you ignore the warnings.

In addition, I went over 100 miles this weekend, most of it on AP, and I can say that even phantom FCA and phantom Braking count against you while in AP.

• Informative
Reactions: EagleOne
AP seems to be wrong much of the time here in the San Francisco bay area. It loves to move into the exit lane miles ahead of time behind drivers doing 50 while the lanes next to you are 70+.

On 101 north near the airport, it decided to play ping pong. It wanted to move a lane to the left to pass slower traffic but during the move it noticed a truck in the lane past the one it wanted to move to, so it jerked back into the original lane - repeating the move two more times before I finally took it out of AP.

I have not pressed the beta button because I want to see how the rest of you are going to fare a week from now. What if a good driver is 100% or 97%?

Can you only see the Safety Score on iPhones? I had downloaded 32.22, gone to the autopilot screen and checked/agreed to all the terms and it said I was 'accepted'. But on my Android phone, I am not seeing a tab for the safety score, even after updating to the latest Tesla app version and doing several drives. Appreciate any thoughts.

Can you only see the Safety Score on iPhones? I had downloaded 32.22, gone to the autopilot screen and checked/agreed to all the terms and it said I was 'accepted'. But on my Android phone, I am not seeing a tab for the safety score, even after updating to the latest Tesla app version and doing several drives. Appreciate any thoughts.
Search TMC forums for the updated APK to manually install it on your android. You may need to use APK mirror if you don't have an app that can unlack and install.

Reactions: FMinMI
Android APP was available YESTERDAY