Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score and Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm operating under the thought that my mixed hardware + low volume model (Model X) is confusing the safety score.

The mixed hardware (AP 2.0 with FSD Computer update + MCU2 updated from MCU1) already was responsible for my battery issues which ultimately required a firmware update to correct. The new computer was not understanding the responses from the older hardware.

I just finished an 1,100 mile trip. Pretty much all on highway and well over 95% on Autopilot. I was nailed with 23% following too closely. Not sure how that will happen if AP use is being properly ignored for my car.

By the strangest of coincidences I'm seeing NO following too closely issues if if choose to NOT use AP. Did a 23 mile trip yesterday with about 1/2 on highway and zero issues with following in my safety score...

Also, trying to figure out what it considers as "Aggressive Turning" in real terms. I swing my car around in my heavily-sloped driveway to park it back-end first in my garage. Would that really count against me when I'm driving < 3 MPH?
I'm also suspecting that my habit of 90 degree turns may be working against me. I consider driving diagonally across an intersection pretty sloppy even though loads of folks do it, I have some old-fashioned notion that the car driving paths should not cross even if the other cars aren't there to avoid absent-mindedly doing so when it's busy. But 90-degree turns mean much greater sideways acceleration so... maybe that's part of my issue?

I did a trip to Chick-Fil-A yesterday that covered 7 miles. Safety score of 40 driven almost entirely by Forward collision warnings (101.9 avg that trip). I can only assume that the drive-thru line is what killed me.

I honestly leave 2-3 seconds between my car and the ones ahead of me since I recognize that physics is a thing.

I honestly don't know what to do. I've pretty much given up on trying to get a decent score.

I did a trip to Chick-Fil-A yesterday that covered 7 miles. Safety score of 40 driven almost entirely by Forward collision warnings (101.9 avg that trip). I can only assume that the drive-thru line is what killed me.

I honestly leave 2-3 seconds between my car and the ones ahead of me since I recognize that physics is a thing.

I honestly don't know what to do. I've pretty much given up on trying to get a decent score.
Yep. I got a FcW the other day because of shadows (I assume). Stop and go traffic. Car next to me drifted slightly into my lane, but only on the line. Was passing under an overpass?

Anything during Ap doesnt count towards safety score so yes you would have been better leaving AP to deal with it!
I wish this were true. On AP arriving on off ramp, car does not slow down, starts turning, beeps that it's going too fast, I hard brake instead of hitting the guard rail. Got an 86 safety rating. It's total BS. Following too closely in AP, how is that even possible. I'll never get the FSD beta and paid for it more than 3 years ago.