Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s becoming quite obvious that the “safety score” beta is broken. On this 13 minute drive, it apparently recorded 48 forward collision warnings…48. Not a single
one was reported to me in the car. That’s over 3 every minute. I’d love to see Elon, or anyone else, get 48 forward collision warnings in 13 minutes or less. Bullshit “safety score”.
AACCAD6C-33CB-4B8E-A83D-65B8ACEBC02D.png
AC6C5427-D24D-41AE-9C1F-3E3047C06EB9.png

Reactions: T3M3T and BCNY
It’s becoming quite obvious that the “safety score” beta is broken. On this 13 minute drive, it apparently recorded 48 forward collision warnings…48. Not a single
one was reported to me in the car. That’s over 3 every minute. I’d love to see Elon, or anyone else, get 48 forward collision warnings in 13 minutes or less. Bullshit “safety score”.

Can you describe that drive? Going through fast-food or coffee drive-thrus?

• Funny
Reactions: SaintMickey®
View attachment 717301View attachment 717302
How much coffee did you drunk today?

The score is a bit strange. It doesn't mean you got 48 warning, it's something about how many you've had in a 1,000 mile range. So it thinks you had one on that 4th drive, so it's bringing up your average to 48/1000 or something like that, but will continue to go down as you do more drives without one.

Reactions: jboy210
Yes and no. What they're doing is taking your trip and extrapolating how many warning you would've had if you drove the same way for a 1000 mile trip. In other words, if you make a 10 mile trip and have 1 warning your warnings would report as an average of 100. If you have two warnings that trip it would report as an average of 200, etc. Now how you got to the number 48 is a bit odd. It almost seems like they recorded you as a half warning over the ~13 miles. Also, what constitutes a forward collision warning is quite suspect and I think the bigger issue. I too have had drives where I get these phantom warnings added to my score when I literally drove the entire trip without any vehicle in front of me. As best as I could tell, it registered some warnings when I was exiting a parking garage and going through the security gate. So definitely some room for improvement.

You are making a wrong assumption about what the value of "48" means. May I suggest to not trash the concept because of your misunderstanding.. Best to first ask the members what it means. ;)

Last edited:
It's a mindless, nonsensical extrapolation. If you get one (incorrect) FCW warning (as I did) on a short drive, the "safety score" impact will be very high. I went on a 5 mile errand, slowly passed a parked car on a curved street and the car threw a hissy fit (FCW). One FCW in a five mile drive equals 200 extrapolated on a 1000 mile trip. Elon knows this is BS, but they leveraged something they had for insurance in CA to give the illusion that they're careful about rolling out FSD.

Agree with the warnings. I was driving to a T intersection where I was going straight. Had to hit the stalk to continue in AP. Vehicle was in opposite side. All the alarms went off and it deactivated AP. I reactivated and kept going. That leg I got a 78. Saved the video of the intersection. Makes no sense.

Nobody's asked the big question: what's your FCW set to? It must be set to "Medium" to see the alerts that it logs.

For me: no FCWs at all in the time I've been playing the Safety Scoreᴮᵉᵗᵃ game. I know how to avoid them - just predict and respond to things that would make FCW clench buttcheeks. (and that means: always watch the road, keep the phone in your pocket!) Cars pulling out ahead, big differences in speed without accelerator input changes. The car's just looking for you to CHANGE your inputs in time. Be it to apply brakes, or to let off the accelerator, either one will prevent an FCW. Keeping smooth on the pedal input is a great way to keep getting FCWs, and driving like granny/taking turns too slow/following too far is a great way to keep a low score low.

Still, this warms my "99" heart to see. I've shared tips in detail, how to completely ace this thing if you really wanted, but nobody's really listening. Just means I'll get beta faster, lol. Fine by me!

F9088FF5-E1E8-49DA-BB8D-FE86012657A2.png
This forward collision metric is a joke .. 72 warnings on a 5 mile trip to work? Really? :) I must be a very bad driver..
on my last trip a car in front of me was making a right turn (with a very! Safe distance) and because of very safe distance there was absolutely no need to slow down, yet it decided to register a FCW..

On first occasion the car was on autopilot and hit the brakes so hard that I almost … myself , because another car in right lane slightly swerved towards my lane. And even though they claim that it does not count autopilot , my score went down from 98 to around 80 for failing every aspect except forced disengagement.

On every other occasion I did not have a single warning. And my setting is set to early prevention.

My aggressive turning is also yellow.. I have a lot of curved roads with speed limit 40 on my way to work and it seems to count them every single time.. unless I’ll be driving 35 like an idiot

This scoring system is getting on my nerves and turns my “used to enjoy” Tesla driving into some constant fear to somehow trip the fragile scoring system.. very very discouraging and destroys the whole pleasure and enjoyment of driving the Tesla ..

Reactions: therealjimbob
It's a mindless, nonsensical extrapolation. If you get one (incorrect) FCW warning (as I did) on a short drive, the "safety score" impact will be very high. I went on a 5 mile errand, slowly passed a parked car on a curved street and the car threw a hissy fit (FCW). One FCW in a five mile drive equals 200 extrapolated on a 1000 mile trip. Elon knows this is BS, but they leveraged something they had for insurance in CA to give the illusion that they're careful about rolling out FSD.
Nobody's asked the big question: what's your FCW set to? It must be set to "Medium" to see the alerts that it logs.

For me: no FCWs at all in the time I've been playing the Safety Scoreᴮᵉᵗᵃ game. I know how to avoid them - just predict and respond to things that would make FCW clench buttcheeks. (and that means: always watch the road, keep the phone in your pocket!) Cars pulling out ahead, big differences in speed without accelerator input changes. The car's just looking for you to CHANGE your inputs in time. Be it to apply brakes, or to let off the accelerator, either one will prevent an FCW. Keeping smooth on the pedal input is a great way to keep getting FCWs, and driving like granny/taking turns too slow/following too far is a great way to keep a low score low.

Still, this warms my "99" heart to see. I've shared tips in detail, how to completely ace this thing if you really wanted, but nobody's really listening. Just means I'll get beta faster, lol. Fine by me!
Yes!! So much lack of understanding among people wanting Beta. The PCF factors/formula is available and simple. RTFM folks

Most of dings due to autopilot