Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and no. What they're doing is taking your trip and extrapolating how many warning you would've had if you drove the same way for a 1000 mile trip. In other words, if you make a 10 mile trip and have 1 warning your warnings would report as an average of 100. If you have two warnings that trip it would report as an average of 200, etc. Now how you got to the number 48 is a bit odd. It almost seems like they recorded you as a half warning over the ~13 miles. Also, what constitutes a forward collision warning is quite suspect and I think the bigger issue. I too have had drives where I get these phantom warnings added to my score when I literally drove the entire trip without any vehicle in front of me. As best as I could tell, it registered some warnings when I was exiting a parking garage and going through the security gate. So definitely some room for improvement.
That sounds more like a way to standardize FCW per trip or day for display purposes... but is the FCW score incorporated into the Safety Score by how you defined it above, or weighted by # events / miles driven?

It’s becoming quite obvious that the “safety score” beta is broken. On this 13 minute drive, it apparently recorded 48 forward collision warnings…48. Not a single
one was reported to me in the car. That’s over 3 every minute. I’d love to see Elon, or anyone else, get 48 forward collision warnings in 13 minutes or less. Bullshit “safety score”.

Your number caught my eye as I had the same FCW avg score today for a single trip. I had a 100 score after 1,153 miles. We are currently driving on vacation. I got to 100, went back to 99 (FCW with no FCW alert in the car that's set to medium), and got back to 100 because we were criss-crossing Michigan and racking up miles. Today on 23-minute drive where we saw virtually no traffic and nothing *remotely* that would make me think it would generate a FCW (again, no alert in the car), I was shocked to see my score back to 99 and the average FCW for that drive as 101.9, the same as you.

The only oddity on that drive is I did a turn around at the dead end of a road.

Won't be driving much on Monday so little chance to get back to 100. After all the effort I put into getting a 100, to be screwed by buggy "broken" software is a little hard to swallow. Getting dinged by a moron or my own stupidity were the two things I was on the lookout for. I thought I was home free...

View attachment 718246This forward collision metric is a joke .. 72 warnings on a 5 mile trip to work? Really? :) I must be a very bad driver..
on my last trip a car in front of me was making a right turn (with a very! Safe distance) and because of very safe distance there was absolutely no need to slow down, yet it decided to register a FCW..

On first occasion the car was on autopilot and hit the brakes so hard that I almost … myself , because another car in right lane slightly swerved towards my lane. And even though they claim that it does not count autopilot , my score went down from 98 to around 80 for failing every aspect except forced disengagement.

On every other occasion I did not have a single warning. And my setting is set to early prevention.

My aggressive turning is also yellow.. I have a lot of curved roads with speed limit 40 on my way to work and it seems to count them every single time.. unless I’ll be driving 35 like an idiot

This scoring system is getting on my nerves and turns my “used to enjoy” Tesla driving into some constant fear to somehow trip the fragile scoring system.. very very discouraging and destroys the whole pleasure and enjoyment of driving the Tesla ..
Totally agree. The scoring system is taking good driver interactions and dinging you for it. For example, slowing down to avoid going through a yellow-turning-to-a-red light will doc you for hard braking, but running the light keeps the scoring metric happy. I'm getting dinged like crazy (Forward Collision Warnings) for slowly parking in a tight garage. And yes, it does count. If you want a high score, stay out of traffic because if you leave too much space in front of you, a car cutting into your lane will dock you for forward collision and/or hard braking, not leaving enough space and now you're following too close, so pick lightly-travelled back roads, don't park in a tight garage, blah, blah, blah. I've been driving so damn careful that my family is making fun of me, telling me that we can no longer discuss Elon in addition to politics while on the road. And this is all just so we can become an, "Elon Special Buddy," and further act as an echo chamber where he likes being told what he wants to hear. As a Software Engineer, this is a recipe for failure, it's total BS, pisses me off, and like the rest of you, we paid for FSD and it's really late. When my car "saw dead pixels" on autopilot this past Saturday, and constantly nagged me to apply pressure every few seconds, which I continuously did, and then ultimately crapped out and screamed, "Take Control Immediately," while on a highway with no sun in the camera's eyes and no reason to freak out, I realized that I can't trust basic autopilot to safely ferry my family on the highway without it puking at least once per relatively short trip, My wife recorded it on video, we documented the event time and day, and when I took it to service yesterday, having to drive from CT to Long Island just to get an appointment, the technician saw nothing in the event log at that time, and with the diagnostics performed and moving the car around in service, my safety score dropped yet again. I am losing faith, no longer feel like bragging about how cool my car is with it's level 2 "FSD," and am really worried how objects that are not trained in the AI appear invisible to the car where with LIDAR, they would register as an obstacle. A great test of this is a trash can will register as such standing upright, but not tipped over laying down in the road.

Whatever you do, don't drop off your kid at high school... I get 101.9 Forward Collision Warnings on those days... Which gives me a score of 69 for that day...
Exactly! my score gets docked parking in my garage or shuffling cars in my driveway. And what we are told by those who haven't quite figured out the Kool-Aid we all drunk doesn't taste as good as we first thought, is how to "game the system" to get a higher score like running a yellow-to-red light vs. hard braking. It's complete crap. Safe, real-world driving will reduce your score, which is truly "Ludicrous."

Reactions: pilotSteve
I had a 8 minute drive last week that had front warning go off for no apparent reason and it recorded 104 events on that drive. Drive scored 68 score and Took my score from 98 to 95. Really hard to get it up have been getting 99-100 every drive since and barely pulled it up to a 96. Seems there should be some reporting mechanism for errors. Delays my self drive rollout but if I had insurance would probably increase my rate from an error!

Totally agree. The scoring system is taking good driver interactions and dinging you for it. For example, slowing down to avoid going through a yellow-turning-to-a-red light will doc you for hard braking, but running the light keeps the scoring metric happy. I'm getting dinged like crazy (Forward Collision Warnings) for slowly parking in a tight garage. And yes, it does count. If you want a high score, stay out of traffic because if you leave too much space in front of you, a car cutting into your lane will dock you for forward collision and/or hard braking, not leaving enough space and now you're following too close, so pick lightly-travelled back roads, don't park in a tight garage, blah, blah, blah. I've been driving so damn careful that my family is making fun of me, telling me that we can no longer discuss Elon in addition to politics while on the road. And this is all just so we can become an, "Elon Special Buddy," and further act as an echo chamber where he likes being told what he wants to hear. As a Software Engineer, this is a recipe for failure, it's total BS, pisses me off, and like the rest of you, we paid for FSD and it's really late. When my car "saw dead pixels" on autopilot this past Saturday, and constantly nagged me to apply pressure every few seconds, which I continuously did, and then ultimately crapped out and screamed, "Take Control Immediately," while on a highway with no sun in the camera's eyes and no reason to freak out, I realized that I can't trust basic autopilot to safely ferry my family on the highway without it puking at least once per relatively short trip, My wife recorded it on video, we documented the event time and day, and when I took it to service yesterday, having to drive from CT to Long Island just to get an appointment, the technician saw nothing in the event log at that time, and with the diagnostics performed and moving the car around in service, my safety score dropped yet again. I am losing faith, no longer feel like bragging about how cool my car is with it's level 2 "FSD," and am really worried how objects that are not trained in the AI appear invisible to the car where with LIDAR, they would register as an obstacle. A great test of this is a trash can will register as such standing upright, but not tipped over laying down in the road.
Yeah, I was all gung ho on the beta program and trying to get a 'high score' on the app until a week in and I realized it's pretty much impossible for me. I live in Boston and my commute typically consists of a 12 mile round trip to and from work, each time in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. If I leave space, I get cut off and will never actually get to work or make it through lights. If I drive with the flow of traffic, I get FCWs. If someone cuts me off (at least twice a day) I get FCWs. As we inch along in traffic, I'm following too closely. When someone jaywalks and runs across the street to try and make their bus, I get dinged for hard braking. But when I pick up and drop off my daughter on the weekends where it's a 65 mile round trip drive, about 45 miles of which is low to no traffic, I get 80-90. So the trick then is to not drive in traffic, or in a city, or around any other cars lol

Yeah, I was all gung ho on the beta program and trying to get a 'high score' on the app until a week in and I realized it's pretty much impossible for me. I live in Boston and my commute typically consists of a 12 mile round trip to and from work, each time in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. If I leave space, I get cut off and will never actually get to work or make it through lights. If I drive with the flow of traffic, I get FCWs. If someone cuts me off (at least twice a day) I get FCWs. As we inch along in traffic, I'm following too closely. When someone jaywalks and runs across the street to try and make their bus, I get dinged for hard braking. But when I pick up and drop off my daughter on the weekends where it's a 65 mile round trip drive, about 45 miles of which is low to no traffic, I get 80-90. So the trick then is to not drive in traffic, or in a city, or around any other cars lol
All of this applies to our driving in Seattle. I've never had an accident in decades of driving (knock wood). Both my husband and I have had the FCWs and hard braking from simply avoiding parked cars, not running yellow-to-red lights, autopilot wanting to drive impossibly fast in a roundabout. Withdrew from the beta today, takes the fun out of driving the car. Will let others play these games and help forward the FSD concept. We did pay thousands to help the cause, with not much to show thus far.

I decided to remove myself from the Beta program because I feel the Safety Score being used is deeply flawed, and I am not willing to give Tesla more data for nothing in return. Why do I think it is flawed?

Make a u-turn: ding - aggressive turning

Someone pulls into the space ahead of you: ding - unsafe following

Someone crosses your lane on a two way street: ding - forward collision warning

Stop light: ding - hard breaking

Also, from what I am reading, the beta is far from safe so I am happy to wait. I have a large deductible and it also takes too much time to get a Tesla repaired these days.

Just purchased Tesla insurance. My very first safety score during a lunch trip was 99! Desirous of keeping that score, I drove my normally very conservative approach for some evening errands. Absolutely zero warnings of any sort related to my driving and I got 72 FCWs. That was absolutely incorrect. My premium estimate tripled!! I will have to cancel Tesla insurance if this is how they arrive at my premium.

Just purchased Tesla insurance. My very first safety score during a lunch trip was 99! Desirous of keeping that score, I drove my normally very conservative approach for some evening errands. Absolutely zero warnings of any sort related to my driving and I got 72 FCWs. That was absolutely incorrect. My premium estimate tripled!! I will have to cancel Tesla insurance if this is how they arrive at my premium.
Yep. Tesla is using a deeply flawed “beta” product to make determinations that affect price.

The safety scoring situation is definitely flawed. I recently was driving in the left lane at about 50 mph. The car in front of me moved into the left turn lane. As I got to about one car length beside him, he changed his mind and turned into my lane. I had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting him. My forward collision warning and hard breaking took my score for that trip from 100% down to 87% just because of this incident. why can’t Tesla take these type of issues into account? The car can see what happened so why do you pay the price for a bad driver that turns in front of you?

It is absolutely correct that the algorithms Tesla uses for their safety score are unrealistic. The only way you can get a perfect score is to drive on a road with few cars and no stop lights.
I drove two legs today. My first leg was on a lightly traveled road and my score was perfect. The 2nd leg was in town and I had two incidents that lowered my score 1%: a car pulled out from a side road. I was driving the speed limit. I had 2 choices: hit the car or brake to avoid a collision. I made the right decision to brake. It wasn't a very aggressive braking, but my score still took a hit even though I took the correct action and the situation wasn't caused by my driving. The 2nd situation was when I approached a stop light. I slowed down below the speed limit and, as I anticipated, the light changed to red. Again, I had two choices to deal with the situation: run the yellow-red light or stop. I made the right choice and stopped, but because I braked more aggressively to avoid running the light, the program dinged my braking score.
Overall, I had a perfect score on my first leg but was dinged 2% for heavy braking on my 2nd leg, even though I made the correct safety decision and my overall score was dropped 1%. That is unacceptable.
On other drives, I've had cars change lanes in front of me and I was dinged for following too closely, even though I slowed down to achieve the correct following distance. Almost routinely, while driving in town, cars will pull out in front of me, I take the correct evasive action, yet my safety score takes a hit.
The Tesla safety algorithms need to be greatly improved to provide a more realistic driving experience. As of today, the algorithms are completely unrealistic.

Suffering from the same, not really trying to get FSD Beta, just cheap insurance. After a month with it my score dropped four points from 100’s of forward collision warnings that I’ve never experienced. Mind you driving in Houston traffic it’s almost impossible not to follow close behind other vehicles. Each point drop is an extra ten on my premium for the month….

Suffering from the same, not really trying to get FSD Beta, just cheap insurance. After a month with it my score dropped four points from 100’s of forward collision warnings that I’ve never experienced. Mind you driving in Houston traffic it’s almost impossible not to follow close behind other vehicles. Each point drop is an extra ten on my premium for the month….
Note the Safety Score is flagged a "beta." I find it totally unacceptable that Tesla is using the Safety Score to set insurance rates when everybody knows the logic being used is deeply flawed. Get some quotes from other companies, I use State Farm and I am very happy with my rate.

Reactions: Watts_Up