Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score for Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if I have to sign up for Tesla insurance and pay for it to see the safety score? Obviously we all start at 90. At that score, my quote for Tesla Insurance is comparable to my current insurance.

If it turns out my driving is actually sub-90, then the cost of Tesla insurance will be prohibitive, but if it’s above 90 then I’ll be saving money. I’d love to have a score based on my driving to make a decision off of.

Thank you! Guess I’ll just need to be prepared to go back if I make the switch.
YW. I’ve only been driving a week with the safety score, I drive about 35 miles each way to work on both country roads and busy interstates into Baltimore city. My score this week went from 90-99 in the first few days then I had to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me so I had a front collision warning and hard braking demerit but it only reduced my score to 97. I guess wait and see but with a score of 97 my premium is only $42 month when it was $180 with GEICO.

You are right though, wait and see how it works over a longer period of time to see where you average out over time and if it’s still cheaper overall.

YW. I’ve only been driving a week with the safety score, I drive about 35 miles each way to work on both country roads and busy interstates into Baltimore city. My score this week went from 90-99 in the first few days then I had to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me so I had a front collision warning and hard braking demerit but it only reduced my score to 97. I guess wait and see but with a score of 97 my premium is only $42 month when it was $180 with GEICO.

You are right though, wait and see how it works over a longer period of time to see where you average out over time and if it’s still cheaper overall.
Wow $42/month! what was your insurance with Tesla when you started at 90?

My quoted amount with Tesla Insurance is about $118/month with the starting safety score of 90. About the same as my Geico insurance.

Reactions: enemji
Wow $42/month! what was your insurance with Tesla when you started at 90?

My quoted amount with Tesla Insurance is about $118/month with the starting safety score of 90. About the same as my Geico insurance.
1660150871100.png

$59.30. You must have a lower deductible or something. I just went with the default coverage they offered which was comparable to my Geico policy.

In Texas, the only way to stay above 90 is if you
1) stay out of the fast lane
2) never change lanes
3) never drive during peak hours as highway traffic you get cut off 24/7 and get hit with FCW
4) Take every sharp turn at 30-40% below the recommended speed limit (which is often 5-10mph slower than traffic to begin with)

AND after 4 months of usage they took my score down 6 points over night for no reason raising my cost 50$+ per month, then as I continue to average well above that score the score remains the same. AND after my 6 month period they're increasing it another $50+ per month, so in 2 month period I will see a 100$ increase, while my driving habits have not changed :)

Reactions: afadeev
Or just change your driving behavior if your score is low. The whole point of safety score is to incentivise and train you to be safer.
I often get forward collision warnings because of parked cars in my neighborhood. Not certain these are valid warnings. I’m not confident the safety score will accurately evaluate my insurance pricing/safety.

Reactions: Art84 and afadeev
The more time you drive on Autopilot will raise your score significantly. I use it 99% of the time on freeways and highways. The other 1% is when I take over in construction areas to avoid the unpredictability on lane lines and traffic cones. My score has been consistently 97-100 and Tesla calls me an Elite Plus driver for my insurance. I live in CA, I drive about 1000 miles per month, and my premium is $113 for a MSLR.
It has been my experience theat GEICO has ZERO interest in competitively pricing insurance for Teslas. When I switched, my premium was $7200.00 per year!

My MXLR is about 6 weeks out from being delivered and I will be most interested in what the Tesla premium will be.

Reactions: STBR0510
2) never change lanes
3) never drive during peak hours as highway traffic you get cut off 24/7 and get hit with FCW
4) Take every sharp turn at 30-40% below the recommended speed limit (which is often 5-10mph slower than traffic to begin with)

AND after 4 months of usage they took my score down 6 points over night for no reason raising my cost 50$+ per month, then as I continue to average well above that score the score remains the same. AND after my 6 month period they're increasing it another $50+ per month, so in 2 month period I will see a 100$ increase, while my driving habits have not changed :)
Interesting that your score would drop 6 points overnight not based on any driving habits. I hope that doesn’t happen to me. Do you know if there is a way to escalate this? I have driven one month and look at my safety score frequently and it pretty much stays between 97-99 but it is definitely training me, or at least I’m more aware of my driving habits and I try to adjust so I don’t get a poor score, especially the following closely.

I think the score only takes into account the last 30 days of driving. you'll see the fluctuations next month. The first few days after I got the car, my score was very low (how do they expect me to drive like a bitch in a MS Plaid). My score jumped like 20 points this week because it excluded those low score days.

I started the day at 90 (I just took delivery today) Drove 35 miles to work ,on autopilot, and got dinged with a forward collision warning, hard braking and unsafe following. Now my score is a 78 and I have yet to self drive the car. Yay!

I started the day at 90 (I just took delivery today) Drove 35 miles to work ,on autopilot, and got dinged with a forward collision warning, hard braking and unsafe following. Now my score is a 78 and I have yet to self drive the car. Yay!
You definitely should not get dinged for forward collision warnings or unsafe following if you are in autopilot because the computer is driving. Check this out

I had a Forward Collision Warning while Autopilot was engaged. Will my Safety Score be impacted?
No. The Safety Score formula ignores any events (not just Forward Collision Warnings) that occur while Autopilot is engaged (including 3 seconds after the Autopilot is disengaged) and appropriately utilized. This does not include Forced Autopilot Disengagement.

Sunday I decided to go to Burger King in town for lunch. Leisurely drive through the countryside to town and BK is on the edge of town. But had around 20 vehicles in front of us and they were moving a little slow, so spent around 45 minutes holding and creeping in line to get our order. Went next door to a business that was closed, but had a nice canopy to park under to eat, (there was another car parked under the canopy around 50 feet away). Another leisurely drive through the countryside home.

Got home and looked at my safety score - had been 100, now dropped to 99 and of course my insurance goes up $5, because it says "Unsafe following 60% of the time". I keep seeing all the experts testifying that the safety score doesn't score you for following to closely until you are doing 50 mph or more. That certainly isn't true for my MYLR. I WAS NOT WITHIN A HALF MILE OF ANOTHER, VEHICLE, except for waiting in line at BK and I can assure you I was not in TACC, NOAP, while I was in line, but was on NOAP on the trip to town and back. So it cost me an extra $5 to wait in line. Next time, I'll just park and go in and order and see if it dings me for unsafe following while it is parked?

I have spent the last 4 years with an insurance nanny in my car to get cheaper insurance and have maintained a 100 safety score with them with no problem. Their detection systems seemed to work correctly, but I couldn't stay with them because the ODBCII port on the Tesla is non standard and their nanny won't fit it. Ouch!

• Funny
Interesting that your score would drop 6 points overnight not based on any driving habits. I hope that doesn’t happen to me. Do you know if there is a way to escalate this? I have driven one month and look at my safety score frequently and it pretty much stays between 97-99 but it is definitely training me, or at least I’m more aware of my driving habits and I try to adjust so I don’t get a poor score, especially the following closely.
Nope, I tried getting in touch with someone, and when I went to cancel my insurance plan that went from $160/m => $255/m in a two month period (my driving having changed none) she just went "that's odd"

SOOO much happier to be with someone else knowing my insurance won't raise my rates 100$/m for no reason -_-*

2) never change lanes

I’m in Houston and just got Tesla insurance on a Y. I have GEICO on my S and I’ve been told I’m not the best driver but when I get in the Y I just drive…damn the score. Funny thing is my Y score goes up in comparison to when my wife and she drives her age * 2. Switching to Tesla for the S at the end of this month…I’ll let you know how it goes.

The safety score is a 30 days weighted average sliding window. So if you have a good day 100 x 120 miles, followed by a bad day 80 x 120 miles, once the good day passed the 30 days window then your score is going to drop. If you keep a journal of your daily score then you can easily figure out what it will be.

In order to keep a high score, use AP 100% of the time, I saved 70% of premium with 100. It’s almost a year now, I discovered my senses are numbed and in couple of situations I found myself worrying my score and tried to re-engage the stupid AP and at the same time trying to maintain safety which is dangerous. Plus, AP really takes away the joy of driving. I am still debating whether I should lower my score to get some of my sanity back rather than lock myself in this AP only mode. After all, a high score doesn’t mean you are a good driver, it only means you know how to game the system.