Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score increase very slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have paid for the FSD and was exited when I got the recent news about the Beta 10.61. I also have the Safety Score on the app, but never knew it's the prerequisite to get the Beta. Now that i heard about score of at least 93 and I'm around 70's, I'm trying to drive like a decent person and NOT taking advantage of the power on the Machine.
So, since 3 days I'm trying to drive very careful, around 20-30 miles a day, knowing about all 5 scoring factors, but the thing is, it goes up by 1 every day, even though I'm extra careful.
In the last 2 days i got scores of 96 and 98, but I'm green on all factors but "aggressive turning". I don't know how it happens. I drive like a very careful senior around corners, but it still gives me failing score (4.5%). How do you guys coping with this? I'm trying to behave in order to get in the Beta users list, but it seems a long way to go!

It’s very easy to get dinged for aggressive turning even if you turn carefully. Regardless of your safety score, I don’t expect that anyone who isn’t already in the FSD Beta program will get FSD Beta until Tesla makes it available to everyone who wants it. Whether or not that happens this year, as Elon has suggested, remains to be seen.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
I have paid for the FSD and was exited when I got the recent news about the Beta 10.61. I also have the Safety Score on the app, but never knew it's the prerequisite to get the Beta. Now that i heard about score of at least 93 and I'm around 70's, I'm trying to drive like a decent person and NOT taking advantage of the power on the Machine.
So, since 3 days I'm trying to drive very careful, around 20-30 miles a day, knowing about all 5 scoring factors, but the thing is, it goes up by 1 every day, even though I'm extra careful.
In the last 2 days i got scores of 96 and 98, but I'm green on all factors but "aggressive turning". I don't know how it happens. I drive like a very careful senior around corners, but it still gives me failing score (4.5%). How do you guys coping with this? I'm trying to behave in order to get in the Beta users list, but it seems a long way to go!
not trying to be funny, but from one of your other posts about the traffic light chime being dangerous, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get into the FSD beta ;)
Just setting expectations :cool:

Reactions: Ciaopec
I would bet there's plenty of time to reset your request for FSD Beta. It's probably the quickest way to get back to 100 as well as learn how to drive within the safety score algo's parameters.

Guide To A Perfect Safety Score for the FSD Beta Queue, or Tesla Insurance reasons. (Whether you like it or not)

Damn safety score… about “aggressive turning”
I have a car with a center of gravity 18 inches from the ground, it corners flat, no body roll. I don’t corner aggressively but the app reports that I do.

I’ve had little English sports cars, modified turbo charged 400 HP Nissans, American V8s in heavy mushy luxury barges, a rotary Mazda, good tires, bias ply tires, retread tires, trucks, SUVs, 4WD, AWD, econoboxes, even tractors. I’ve been driving for well over half a century. I’m not new at this and I damn well know what aggressive turning is. So when I drive across town reasonably and fairly gently and the app reports 4.2% aggressive turning with an obnoxious red bar, I find it annoying.

If this silly annoying little app is the test of whether I’m qualified to babysit Tesla’s not ready for prime time self drive beta, well I’ll just skip the app and wait a while longer. I’ve been waiting 5 years already, another year or two won’t hurt.

The software isn’t even ready yet and they’re charging the new buyers $15K. That takes balls. We’ve been promised FSD is less than a year away for every one of the last 5 years. And now after waiting 5 years Tesla wants to test me with an asinine, inaccurate little app to see if I’m actually qualified to test the software I bought and paid for long ago.

Tesla, just get the damn software done, and do it well enough so it’s useful for all of us to use, whether we turn aggressively or not.

Reactions: KArnold
Agree on all points. The SS game to get FSDb seems to have little to do with actual safety. IMHO, it's more about spinning it to the public indicating it does.

I suspect if you did have FSDb you may not like it. There are many more similar "annoying" aspects to it.

In my personal "SS rule book" you cannot take 90-degree turns at a speed > 18 MPH without risking an aggressive turning hit, if you choose to pursue it. Sounds easy but "annoying" is the right word - people do this very safely every day at faster speeds.

It’s very easy to get dinged for aggressive turning even if you turn carefully. Regardless of your safety score, I don’t expect that anyone who isn’t already in the FSD Beta program will get FSD Beta until Tesla makes it available to everyone who wants it. Whether or not that happens this year, as Elon has suggested, remains to be seen.
A year ago, Musk said the cut off for entry into the program would be a safety score of 85, higher scores would get in earlier (like they did with the 100’s, 99’s,ect). I think they are at 93 for the last roll out. So, perhaps, they might allow more folks in the beta. As you said, remains to be seen.

A year ago, Musk said the cut off for entry into the program would be a safety score of 85, higher scores would get in earlier (like they did with the 100’s, 99’s,ect). I think they are at 93 for the last roll out. So, perhaps, they might allow more folks in the beta. As you said, remains to be seen.
My safety score is 97. As you say, maybe with the next release. As far as a real version of FSD, I expect to be dead before that happens.

Damn safety score… about “aggressive turning”
I have a car with a center of gravity 18 inches from the ground, it corners flat, no body roll. I don’t corner aggressively but the app reports that I do.

I’ve had little English sports cars, modified turbo charged 400 HP Nissans, American V8s in heavy mushy luxury barges, a rotary Mazda, good tires, bias ply tires, retread tires, trucks, SUVs, 4WD, AWD, econoboxes, even tractors. I’ve been driving for well over half a century. I’m not new at this and I damn well know what aggressive turning is. So when I drive across town reasonably and fairly gently and the app reports 4.2% aggressive turning with an obnoxious red bar, I find it annoying.

If this silly annoying little app is the test of whether I’m qualified to babysit Tesla’s not ready for prime time self drive beta, well I’ll just skip the app and wait a while longer. I’ve been waiting 5 years already, another year or two won’t hurt.

The software isn’t even ready yet and they’re charging the new buyers $15K. That takes balls. We’ve been promised FSD is less than a year away for every one of the last 5 years. And now after waiting 5 years Tesla wants to test me with an asinine, inaccurate little app to see if I’m actually qualified to test the software I bought and paid for long ago.

Tesla, just get the damn software done, and do it well enough so it’s useful for all of us to use, whether we turn aggressively or not.
I am with you. It finds fault with very safe driving.

I requested FSD beta for the hell of it and am amazed how often I get dinged for hard braking and aggressive turning. It even got me for forward collision warning when someone cut me off at the last second to get into a shopping center the other day. I really enjoy driving the car so I am in no rush for it to drive itself but you really have to wonder how hard it is to get in the upper 90s when all you do is drive on surface streets.

I requested FSD beta for the hell of it and am amazed how often I get dinged for hard braking and aggressive turning. It even got me for forward collision warning when someone cut me off at the last second to get into a shopping center the other day. I really enjoy driving the car so I am in no rush for it to drive itself but you really have to wonder how hard it is to get in the upper 90s when all you do is drive on surface streets.
Space between is your friend. I found if you ever have to touch the brake pedal, you will get dinged for a hard stop. Always use one pedal driving, it is surprisingly effective. Aggressive turn errors, you just have to slow down.

I ran with a 100 for about eight weeks (which impressed even me, since I live in an urban environment). Then somebody passed me on the right, pulled in front of me, and slowed dramatically. I had to use the brake. Hard brake error. Dropped me back to a 99. Nuts! But I was issued FSDb before I could wash out the score drop. Oh well!

Longish drives on Autopilot w/Autosteer helps a lot, but you have to resist dropping out of autosteer. Believe in the Force!

Reactions: Ciaopec
Make a 500hp car with amazing throttle response, good handling, and plenty of safety features then incentivize us to drive them like grandmas by dangling self driving software as an incentive… what a concept!

I’m not actually trying to get a safety score of 99 I just am laughing at the innocuous things it seems to penalize you for.

I just put coilovers and sticky 20s on my car… if they’re gonna ding me for pulling more than 0.4 lateral Gs on an off ramp I know that I’ve got no shot. 😂 Hard braking and aggressive turning are half the reason I bought this car otherwise I’d have saved $20k and got a Prius prime.

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
Make a 500hp car with amazing throttle response, good handling, and plenty of safety features then incentivize us to drive them like grandmas by dangling self driving software as an incentive… what a concept!

I’m not actually trying to get a safety score of 99 I just am laughing at the innocuous things it seems to penalize you for.

I just put coilovers and sticky 20s on my car… if they’re gonna ding me for pulling more than 0.4 lateral Gs on an off ramp I know that I’ve got no shot. 😂 Hard braking and aggressive turning are half the reason I bought this car otherwise I’d have saved $20k and got a Prius prime.
Autosteer on City streets doesn't require a safety score, so no need to drive like a grandma. If you are looking to participate in the FSD Beta, and think you can contribute to the testing, then to receive an invitation you must satisfy the requirements and if Tesla needs more testers they will send an invite.

Once the testing is completed by the FSD Beta participants, then Autosteer on City Streets will be released to everyone who purchased FSD, and will not require a safety score.

While I agree that it is crazy easy to get dinged for aggressive turning, the weight the scoring algorithm gives to that particular item is extremely low, so unless you are doing a whole lot of >0.3g turns relative to your amount of 0.1 to 0.3g turns, it is probably not pulling down your overall score by much. As I got into the FSDb group in mid-June and don't have Tesla insurance I don't see the safety score in my app any more, but when I did it included a little feature you could use to do a trial adjustment to the 5 individual scores for your day's driving and see the consequence to your computed Safety Score for the day. Doing that I learned that most of my problem on a day-to-day basis was on the hard braking item. But the occasional Forward Collision warning had grave impact, as the weight on that is very heavy. The other three just did not play a meaningful part in my case, even though the turning item display looked threatening. I think my score was displayed as about 93 to 95 when I got in as part of the middle of June wave.