Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score is trash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 4 forward collision warnings today because I was driving down a windy road that had cars parked along the side. It sees the cars on the side of the road and thinks I’m rapidly approaching a stopped car in traffic… but the car is parked and against the curb. Of course you get dinged pretty hard for those because it makes you look like you’re not paying attention and almost rear ending people. 🤦‍♂️

Yesterday it was a forward collision warning as I am coming around a curve to an intersection in the left turn lane. I never get within 30ft of the car in front of me that is yielding before turning left but the collision warning goes off anyways. I finally just turned off my FSD beta request it’s not worth driving like a grandma for a month if I’m gonna get screwed over by software that can’t handle going around curves properly.

I finally just turned off my FSD beta request it’s not worth driving like a grandma for a month if I’m gonna get screwed over by software that can’t handle going around curves properly.
You allegedly only have to get 80 which is easy even with an occasional FCW (you only have to drive ~300 miles on the same day, or so, to restore your score to 100 after one as I recall, so 80 should be no issue usually).

Just don’t worry about it.

But getting the Beta is not all that exciting so either path is fine.

Reactions: Darmie
You allegedly only have to get 80 which is easy even with an occasional FCW (you only have to drive ~300 miles on the same day, or so, to restore your score to 100 after one as I recall, so 80 should be no issue usually).

Just don’t worry about it.

But getting the Beta is not all that exciting so either path is fine.
I drive maybe 500 miles a month so it takes forever to kick those out and my typical route has a lot of cars parked on the side of the road which seems to give FCW the most trouble… especially on curves.
I had an 84 score for a good bit longer than a month and have not yet received beta. I just turned it off I’m not that worried about it just irritated how badly the FCW portion of the score seems to work. That would really steer me away from using Tesla insurance if I that is used in determining your rates.

I drive maybe 500 miles a month so it takes forever to kick those out and my typical route has a lot of cars parked on the side of the road which seems to give FCW the most trouble… especially on curves.
My point was just that you have to drive less than 20 miles per FCW.

Yeah you can trigger false FCWs relatively easily, though usually quite predictable. Annoying.

Using for insurance seems silly. There’s clearly two classes of warnings - one from cars on side of road (silly!) and one from vehicles you are about to pile into (should count). Seems like it would be easy enough to distinguish for insurance purposes, even though you could have both trigger warnings still (since there is some risk of running into parked cars I suppose).

Reactions: ElectricIAC
aggressive turning
This one is nearly completely irrelevant to scoring now. It was never really a major impact unless you wanted 99 or 100 as I recall (need to plug into formula I guess). Not possible for it to be a significant issue really with a requirement of 80.

No idea the actual thresholds used for insurance, but are they actually distinguishing (for example) between 97 and 100 for rates?

I just moved to San Diego from Austin, and my insurance company (AAA) quoted me at over double the price. I switched to Tesla insurance, and I'm now paying roughly 4% more than I was in Texas. When I got the FSD Beta, I was in the first group with a 100% safety score, now, I'm struggling to get over 93 with those pesky forward collision dings.

Reactions: enemji
yes it is.
It can't handle basic forward collision warning reliably so Tesla Insurance means its using invalid data.
If Tesla uses it for insurance it just means I will never use Tesla insurance.
Currently Tesla insurance feels like you have a larger chance of getting a front end fender bender which from their stndpoint means you are a more risky customer

• Informative
Indeed, there are many flaws in the safety score logic.

There are no demerits for:
  • California stops
  • Not stopping at all - just blowing right thru stop signs and red lights
  • Speeding, even if speeding thru stop signs or red lights
  • Driving on the wrong side of the road, whilst speeding thru red lights
  • Running from the cops after being spotted driving on the wrong side of the road
  • Not signaling as you weave thru 9 lanes of traffic on the 405 at speeds in excess of 150 mph
  • Passing out against the steering wheel at a green light after a drug overdose until the cops arrive
But hey, god forbid I accelerate a little briskly or drive past an orange cone in the parking lot at work. Seriously, I get the full alarm with corrective steering and everything from a damn cone in the parking lot that isn't even in the way.

They're free to do whatever they want for FSD beta qualification, but I can't believe they are already using this miserably flawed score to set insurance rates in some states. I look forward to the day when I can pay insurance rates based on my driving style instead of my penis, but Tesla is a long way from getting there if they think "aggressive turning" is the best predictor of an accident-prone driver.

You can floor it as much as you want, as long as it is in a straight line, but god forbid you touch the brake pedal.
I was getting forward collision warnings every time I passed the backside of a stop sign of a side street because the car thought it was a person in the middle of the street. I finally learned to turn on auto-pilot to pass that stop sign. It would still trigger forward collision warnings, but they would not count.

My point was just that you have to drive less than 20 miles per FCW.

Yeah you can trigger false FCWs relatively easily, though usually quite predictable. Annoying.

Using for insurance seems silly. There’s clearly two classes of warnings - one from cars on side of road (silly!) and one from vehicles you are about to pile into (should count). Seems like it would be easy enough to distinguish for insurance purposes, even though you could have both trigger warnings still (since there is some risk of running into parked cars I suppose).

when I was suffering through the stupidity of the (un)safety score I was getting between 2-4 false FCWs every day just coming into and out of my neighborhood.
It was triggered on the s-curves on the roads because it was sure that the oncoming cars on the other side of the road were about to hit us.
I once got a FCW triggered by tall grass as I was making the turn to reverse into my garage.

I have Tesla insurance because for me it's the cheapest i've found. I just hate you can't drive a Model 3 Performance AS a performance car!! Oh no, I took a turn greater than .4g!!!! 🤬 Luckily, you don't get dinged for acceleration, small silver lining!
If you drove it like you wanted to, would it be the same price as the other insurance?

• Informative
when I was suffering through the stupidity of the (un)safety score I was getting between 2-4 false FCWs every day just coming into and out of my neighborhood.
It was triggered on the s-curves on the roads because it was sure that the oncoming cars on the other side of the road were about to hit us.
I once got a FCW triggered by tall grass as I was making the turn to reverse into my garage.
Curves in roads really do seem to be the Achilles heel of the Tesla FCW... it is a shame that so many people get false dings for this solely because of the type of road they live on rather than actual bad driving.

I got 4 forward collision warnings today because I was driving down a windy road that had cars parked along the side. It sees the cars on the side of the road and thinks I’m rapidly approaching a stopped car in traffic… but the car is parked and against the curb. Of course you get dinged pretty hard for those because it makes you look like you’re not paying attention and almost rear ending people. 🤦‍♂️
Same thing happened to me, sort of. I had almost 1,000 miles of FSD driving with a score of 100 until a windy road and parked truck caused a false FCW. Garbage.