Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

safety score multiple drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Raising teenagers on the same VIN will likely prevent me from ever getting the FSD beta...

I hear you!

I am not Tesla's boss so I have no control over the Safety Score fairness.

I am just explaining what's happening so you can plan and not be disappointed by misunderstandings.

Upvote 0
That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Raising teenagers on the same VIN will likely prevent me from ever getting the FSD beta...
Consider it this way. The score needs to be tied to the VIN since it’s the car that would get the FSD beta. You acknowledging that it’s the teenagers dragging the score down is even more reason Tesla wouldn’t want FSD Beta in your car.

Reactions: gigawhat?
Upvote 0
I gave up using fsd during the scoring process. 2nd day and out with 100% I had to bail from a bad autopilot control which dinged me down to 83. Now I find that almost anytime I use the mechanical brake over regen I get dinged for hard braking.
So, today, 10/13/2021 with a good steady safety score of 95, one car snaps in front of me with no turn signal, I get a huge score ding for “forward collision warning”, “unsafe following” and “hard braking”. Put that emotional stress on top of Elon’s habitual undelivered promises and paying into this undelivered FSD, I can’t say owning my Tesla has been emotionally peaceful.

Reactions: JonMu and gigawhat?
Upvote 0
Consider it this way. The score needs to be tied to the VIN since it’s the car that would get the FSD beta. You acknowledging that it’s the teenagers dragging the score down is even more reason Tesla wouldn’t want FSD Beta in your car.
This is a fair point but it could be fixed with software. For example make optional password protected driver profiles and associate the beta opt in to the profile instead of the VIN. Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

Upvote 0
Could this be changed with a software update? I think it would make a lot of sense to tie FSD to driver profiles instead of the VIN. If profiles could be password protected when opting in to FSD beta it would be more secure than linking it to the car. For example if someone usually drives the car, gets FSD then let's their teenager drive it in a one-off situation the FSD will be available but they haven't demonstrated safe driving practices. On a personal level, I am glad to see the safety score of my partner isn't good. They give me a hard time for being an anxious passenger but now I have the 25% unsafe following as evidence that I'm not crazy.

Upvote 0
Could this be changed with a software update? I think it would make a lot of sense to tie FSD to driver profiles instead of the VIN. If profiles could be password protected when opting in to FSD beta it would be more secure than linking it to the car. For example if someone usually drives the car, gets FSD then let's their teenager drive it in a one-off situation the FSD will be available but they haven't demonstrated safe driving practices. On a personal level, I am glad to see the safety score of my partner isn't good. They give me a hard time for being an anxious passenger but now I have the 25% unsafe following as evidence that I'm not crazy.
Honestly I would rather not go down that rabbit hole. I'd rather things be tied to vin... Once you start tying things to profiles, that opens the door to start charging separately for each profile.... Imagine having to pay $2k for each profile you want to use Acceleration Boost, and subscribing to Premium Connectivity for each profile, etc.

Honestly, if you are worried about your score, just have people reboot as soon as they do something that would get you dinged... In my experience, hard braking doesn't actually ding you that much... It's forward collision mitigation that will drag your score down. With that being said, I showed the wife how to reboot when she gets a forward collision mitigation... And now we have FSD Beta...

Reactions: DanDi58
Upvote 0
On topic of the multiple drivers, once you actually get FSD Beta, if you let the other drivers drive but not using FSD could they cause beta to be pulled from you, if so what causes it to be pulled.

Also, I just got my Tesla Model Y 2 weekends ago, Turned FSD Beta Request on ASAP before leaving Tesla. BAD idea! I should of given myself time to get used to the car first. I have one Autopilot disengagement because I was trying to learn the different levels of warnings, bells, whistles, and such. I've driven 1,802.14 miles, my score is 94%. the graph shows I've gotten better over time. Part of me says I should wait, but I don't know how long I need to wait for the disengagement to disappear! Other part of me says I should clean my slate and turn off the request and turn it back on!

I want to do this right I don't want to cheat.

Also those who have to correct autopilot, there is a couple seconds around you turning AP off that the score doesn't track. it also doesn't track things in AP. I hate driving myself now that I know that and try to let AP do all the driving but there are those moments where you have to drive into or thru a parking lot or other non-AP area and still get little dings, ugg!

What about when you want a "fun" day at lets say the track or something, while waiting for FSD I guess you just can't have fun, but what about after you get FSD, is having fun on a track going to make them pull FSD!

1648212036023.png
1648212094882.png
1648212139930.png

Upvote 0
I think it is what it is as they say. My assumption is that Tesla set up the safety score process to inform their insurance premiums and decided to also use it for FSD beta. If you are insuring a vehicle you probably don’t care why the vehicle is being driven aggressively just that it is. This is analogous to my situation; I’ll never get the beta because I live in an urban area and can’t get my score above 90. I get a forward collision warning a few times a week because other drivers turn in front of me, or decide at the last minute to turn right, or for a host of other reasons. I choose to believe that my score is not a reflection on my driving ability, but instead a reflection that the conditions around my commute are riskier than that of someone who drives on primarily wide open uncongested roads.

Reactions: Jeffsstuff
Upvote 0
Once you get FSD Beta, you don't have a safety score anymore... It says if you get 5 strikes you can get the beta taken away from you... To get a strike, you have to get nagged by the "not paying attention" nanny enough times that it turn itself off for the duration of the drive. That's one strike. You have to do that 5 times to get the beta stripped from you.

But other than that, your driving style won't cause it to get pulled... I've gotten dozens of FCW since getting the beta.

Reactions: BearlyAdulting
Upvote 0
Once you get FSD Beta, you don't have a safety score anymore... It says if you get 5 strikes you can get the beta taken away from you... To get a strike, you have to get nagged by the "not paying attention" nanny enough times that it turn itself off for the duration of the drive. That's one strike. You have to do that 5 times to get the beta stripped from you.

But other than that, your driving style won't cause it to get pulled... I've gotten dozens of FCW since getting the beta.
Nice to hear!

Upvote 0