Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score - Probably Will Fail!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One NOT so quick way to raise your score a few points is to go on a long road trip. 4 to 5 hundred miles coupled to AP on highway will certainly bring it up I’ve learned. Lots of miles with on AP to “dilute“ the hits you have taken in daily driving traffic etc.....
the more miles the less impactful the bad things become. You can jump from A 95 to a 99 with a good long trip.

I would not purposely go for a long road trip for this reason, but if your going anyway and deciding which car to take......well....

Best thing I've found is if I go on the road before sunrise with very little cars on the road, and take a five mile round a bout, it slowly gives me a chance to recover for this phantom forward collision warnings that drives the safety score into the toilet. Sadly, I'm not enjoying my Performance 3 during this process. If they offered me a refund on the FSD I paid, I'd take in a Tesla minute...

I was at 100 for the first 3 days, now I am at 98 due to 2 yellow lights I stopped for. Quite annoying , despite how quick my Model S is I would probably not have made it thru before it turned red, if I had I would have been 30 over the speed limit. Just full regen must be pretty close to aggressive braking. Other that stopping I have had no other ‘dings’ , pretty easy to manage but I am not nuts either. I go to track days for that kind of fun.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I managed to get out of the 60’s to 71 this morning. Might be able to climb outta the hole by Oct 9th, lol. I changed my autopilot follow distance from 2 to 3 and turned my early warning collision from early to late. I feel these two things were stacking the deck against me but who tf knows lol.

I managed to get out of the 60’s to 71 this morning. Might be able to climb outta the hole by Oct 9th, lol. I changed my autopilot follow distance from 2 to 3 and turned my early warning collision from early to late. I feel these two things were stacking the deck against me but who tf knows lol.
The documentation says the early warning score is based on the ‘normal’ setting, whether it goes off or not.

Reactions: dropgems
Yeah, the only forward collision warnings I get are when a person is completing a turn off of the road, has cleared my lane, is hundreds of feet in front of me, and I start accelerating again. AP isn't exactly perfect yet, for sure...

I got one of those today when I wasn't on AP. The dude turned off the road and was in his driveway and I got a collision warning. My wife was like WFT?
It was only an 11 mile round trip drive. It took my trip score to 57, and knocked my overall score down by 2 points. I've gotten similar warning on AP, but we don't seem to get dinged on AP.

I have not driven my car much since requesting drive like 10-20 miles yesterday but I don’t have any scores in my app. Does the score show up after certain number of miles? Also the Drag Times guy said the full SDB will be given after 7 days of driving the car is that true has anyone gotten FSD yet?

I have not driven my car much since requesting drive like 10-20 miles yesterday but I don’t have any scores in my app. Does the score show up after certain number of miles? Also the Drag Times guy said the full SDB will be given after 7 days of driving the car is that true has anyone gotten FSD yet?
You may need to update your phone app if it's not currently listing "Safety Score" as a link from main app screen.

I read an article on the scoring and they said all forward collision warnings are disregarded IF you have AP engaged. I’ve been getting phantom forward collision warning lately so I hope it’s true.
This is what I am seeing. Had a forward collision warning while on auto-pilot and it did not show up in the safety score. However, unsafe following does seem to show up while on AP.

Reactions: Iain
Anything you do on autopilot, regardless of any settings, should not be taken into account but as also mentioned upthread, I had it engaged, it got a little too close to a person in front of me, then marked me down for its own transgressions.

It's definitely beta...

Common reference is that you have to drive it like "grandma". Well........that didn't work either!! LOL. My dad gave his car to my Mom for a week. She drive's like a "grandma" and is referred to as "grandma" of our kids. Checked the score after a week and..........A whopping 64!!

Following too closely, too hard turning. Too hard braking where the issues. Knock on wood, she's never had an accident, but isn't the smoothest driver in the world. L.A. Traffic, just impossible not to follow too closely. I'm still convinced that it's dining you for doing so while in AP too (could be wrong).

• Funny
Reactions: Jeff N
Common reference is that you have to drive it like "grandma". Well........that didn't work either!! LOL. My dad gave his car to my Mom for a week. She drive's like a "grandma" and is referred to as "grandma" of our kids. Checked the score after a week and..........A whopping 64!!

Following too closely, too hard turning. Too hard braking where the issues. Knock on wood, she's never had an accident, but isn't the smoothest driver in the world. L.A. Traffic, just impossible not to follow too closely. I'm still convinced that it's dining you for doing so while in AP too (could be wrong).

As some of us have mentioned, yes, even when driving like a grandma you still can't get a high score, all the time anyway.

There's an inherent problem for anyone that lives in major population like Los Angeles. If you leave too much gap, people cut in front of you, and might break check you too, either way ding. If you keep a narrow gap like 99% of the drivers you get a ding too.

Likewise you can take the same drive, the same way, with the same traffic, and still get multiple dings randomly.

It's just a tool, it's what we have, not too much to do about it.

I had two nice 50 mile trips. Both the same drive in no traffic. One was pretty much all red and like a 63? The other was 100. Go figure.

I read an article on the scoring and they said all forward collision warnings are disregarded IF you have AP engaged. I’ve been getting phantom forward collision warning lately so I hope it’s true.
I heard an FCW today at 10mph and got no closer than 2 car lengths. When I got home, there were 68 shown that produced no warning at all. It’s set on medium. I think it’s cars cutting me off. Score is 95. No tickets in 30 years.

Surprise, surprise, release is delayed! Per Elon Tweet. Also, only going out to those who scored a perfect 100. Impossible for anyone in a high population area. Basically, all those that parked their cars and only drove them at 3:00 AM when nobody was on the road are those that are going to get rewarded with the first release. Everyone else has to wait. Makes sense to me! LOL

Reactions: Maxpilot
Surprise, surprise, release is delayed! Per Elon Tweet. Also, only going out to those who scored a perfect 100. Impossible for anyone in a high population area. Basically, all those that parked their cars and only drove them at 3:00 AM when nobody was on the road are those that are going to get rewarded with the first release. Everyone else has to wait. Makes sense to me! LOL
Nothing surprising about it. That exactly what he was saying for long time. First in line will be people with prefect score. Makes sense that they will evaluate performance and safety of bigger tester pool before rolling out to even bigger pool of people. They can’t screw this up or we will not see fsd any time soon.

I give and am just turning the option to download the beta off. It is not that useful anyway and I just keep getting dinged with false collision warnings on sharp corners with someone coming towards me in the other lane and too aggressive braking due to the full regen.

Reactions: Maxpilot