Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My safety score is being hit hard by unsafe following, however I always use either cruise control or AP and it is supposed to keep a 5 car distance from the other cars. Why am I being dinged for this if I am using those features? Thanks

I removed this safety score since someone cut me off and there is not way to send pictures or videos to Tesla to update your score.

I was considering switching to Tesla insurance, but now I noticed that my premium could be adjusted monthly followng my safety score.

The following distance is a bit unrealistic unless you live in the middle of nowhere. They should give you a 1-2 second grace period to get your distance when people cut you off, but nope. This is especially true since leaving a following distance of anything > 2 or 3 will almost always mean you are being cut off by people taking advantage of that space.

I think if you set the follow distance to 7 you will have better luck with the AP/NOA following but otherwise you will always be dinged for too close.

My safety score is being hit hard by unsafe following, however I always use either cruise control or AP and it is supposed to keep a 5 car distance from the other cars. Why am I being dinged for this if I am using those features? Thanks
From the Safety Score Beta article linked above: “Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.”

I know some people insist they get dinged for incidents while using Autopilot, despite what Tesla says, but I don’t know who’s right.

Are you using the safety score for insurance or FSD Beta?

From the Safety Score Beta article linked above: “Driving on Autopilot (including 3 seconds after Autopilot is disengaged) will not be factored into the Safety Score formula, but the miles driven while on Autopilot are included in the total.”

I know some people insist they get dinged for incidents while using Autopilot, despite what Tesla says, but I don’t know who’s right.

Are you using the safety score for insurance or FSD Beta?
FSD beta.

Cruise does not preclude unsafe following.

Unsafe following is the time > 50 MPH of non-AP time of following less the 3 seconds the car in front of you divided by the time following 3 to 5 seconds - no? Following with nobody in front of you doesn't change the score.

So, you are on CC, follow distance set to 5. Nobody is in front of you - there is neither a positive or negative impact on this score yet. Someone merges in front of you < 3 seconds. You just increased the "numerator" of the equation but not the "denominator". Do the math - it doesn't take many of these to get a horrible score.

When I used to play this silly game, I'd be ready to turn on AP if someone merged in front or slowed significantly. Follow distance has a lag. Then set it up again and disable AP.

Be especially careful on entrance/exit ramps and rural higher speed roads. It's easy to exceed 50, often AP is not yet engaged, and lots of merging traffic. Turn on AP if you can do so safely in these situations even if you don't intend to leave it on.

At least that's my understanding.

Be especially careful on entrance/exit ramps and rural higher speed roads. It's easy to exceed 50, often AP is not yet engaged, and lots of merging traffic. Turn on AP if you can do so safely in these situations even if you don't intend to leave it on.
This exactly. It's a game and once you know the rules, you can try to game the system. I hit AP when I hit 49 mph on the onramp and let AP merge me in. If traffic is too tight to do that, it's also usually slower than 50 mph, so I merge myself then engage.

Same thing coming up on exit ramps, I slow down to leave a lot of space to the car in front, then disengage to get off (some of the exits in my area do not work with AP for some reason - one of them I take every day on my commute).

My understanding is TACC follow distance DOES count against you, but AP follow distance does not. So if someone cuts you off, you get dinged - even on TACC.

I removed this safety score since someone cut me off and there is not way to send pictures or videos to Tesla to update your score.

I was considering switching to Tesla insurance, but now I noticed that my premium could be adjusted monthly followng my safety score.

I call BS. My experience with AP is that scoring for hard braking definitely occurs. Tesla says “The percentage shown in the app is the percentage of manual braking that is done with excessive force when driving and Autopilot is not engaged.” However, there is absolutely no way on a 2 hour drive on mostly interstate highway on AP that I hard braked manually over 60% of the time. It’s ludicrous- and never happened manually (although AP did apply brakes many times noticeably hard especially when cut off by traffic or the system thought a hwy marker was some sort of obstacle and slammed on the brakes in the middle of the hwy- very dangerous). I’m really disappointed in the inconsistency of Teslas safety score. I suppose my expectations were too high. The system is definitely flawed.

F2C is counted whenever about 50mph, without AP on busy interstate absolute 100% of the time, it is hard to avoid getting dinged. You will have 3 seconds to re-engage if AP drops off, I found driving safely, watching for traffic and then keep thinking about score deductions is potentially dangerous. Once there is an accident in the front and cars have to slow down, AP disengaged and don’t know how to handle and I have to brake, at the same moment, I have to watch for people trying to cut in front of me, trying to re-engage to avoid F2C dings, trying to switch lane, in the back of my mind already thinking about hard braking dings .. it just chaotic.

SS is in beta but I think this is a dead beat software just like the rain sensing wiper that will not get any priority or even plan to work on and forget about contesting with Tesla, no one will be able to help.

The whole scheme is just dumb mechanical rules with no intelligence nor common sense. If I drive 10 trips for 120 miles in a day maintaining 100 till the last trip of 3 miles and got dinged for hard braking, then the day score becomes 99 (or lower) and it will drag down the sliding 30 days score because the weighted average is on 120 and not the last 3 miles. It’s a pain to be in SS/AP jail but it did save me a substantial amount of premium. If I drive normally then the saving is not that great and if I drive slightly more spirited then I will pay more than regular insurance without the SS baggage, good thing is the score is adjusted monthly and the bad day will eventually goes away.