Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score says forward collision warnings when none ever occurred

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to drive as careful as possible to keep my score up as I'm trying to get the FSD beta, but I've been experiencing the safety score app saying there were forward collision warnings on my daily drive when none ever occurred. As in at no point did the car make a beep for the entire ride but checking with the safety app on the phone it showed forward collision warnings as red, everything else is green. I guess I need to maybe setup something to allow me to use my phone to record the trip so I can submit that to tesla ?? Suggestions???

Thanks!

If you look at the website description of the safety score system at Safety Score Beta (not the app, which has a much shorter description) it mentions "Events are captured based on the 'medium' Forward Collision Warning sensitivity setting regardless of your user's setting in the vehicle". Therefore, if your personal setting on the car is set to Late, you'd observe what you're observing - some of the FCW dings you get on your SS are not reflected by beeps in the car. If you set it to Medium, you'll get an audible alert every time SS marks one against you. If you set it to Early, you'll get some audible alerts that even the SS doesn't register as an FCW, but this might help train you to better avoid ones that will affect it.

Oh and also - FCW hits in your daily SS are one of the easiest ones to "fix" with additional driving on the same day. All you have to do is drive a ton more miles the same day without further FCWs, and this will dilute the FCW impact and raise your score for the day (as it's recorded in units of FCW/mile).

Reactions: TresLA
Oh and also - FCW hits in your daily SS are one of the easiest ones to "fix" with additional driving on the same day. All you have to do is drive a ton more miles the same day without further FCWs, and this will dilute the FCW impact and raise your score for the day (as it's recorded in units of FCW/mile).
I'm curious about that. I wonder if the extra miles contributed vs the new score is worth it. I feel like the score increase by driving more will be offset by the number of miles it contributes. Maybe it's best to just eat the low score for the day?

I *think* they do a simple mileage-weighted average of the daily scores, but I'm not sure what precision it uses. If you can significantly raise the number for the day, it's probably worth the miles to do so. If you only drove a few miles and the score was terrible, then yeah, you might as well wait for a better day to level it out with a roadtrip.

It depends on the situation, but the simulator in the app can help make sense of it. The FCW number is incidents per 1000 miles.

For example (assuming no other dings except a single FCW): if you drove 50 miles today and got one silly FCW, your FCW rating will say 20.0 (1/50 == 20/1000), and your daily score will drop to 95. If you then had the time and battery to drive another 50 miles later in the day under more-ideal conditions with no more FCWs, your FCW number will now be 10.0 (1/100 == 10/1000), and your score for the day is now a 98. I'd rather have 100 miles of 98 than 50 miles of 95, most times.

You'd have to get the FCW number down to 6.4 to turn it into a 99, which means bringing your total mileage up to around 157 miles (1000/157 == 6.41), which might or might not be worth it or practical.

• Informative
Reactions: Congo Line
Personally I'm super disappointed in this... I had the car driving on a small 35mph street and a car in opposing traffic swerved into my lane. I had FSD engaged and I needed to slam on the breaks. In my opinion my safety score shouldn't be weighted on FSD's mistakes.
i guess no one reads the safety score page…. You are not dinged for things that happen when autopilot is engaged or for the first 3 seconds after disengagement. So if you are on AP and “slam on the brakes” unless you’re coming to a complete stop from very fast so that you were decelerating hard for a long time, it doesn't count. And the FCW you got because someone swerved into your lane wouldn’t count either

Reactions: DaBean and nvx1977
i guess no one reads the safety score page…. You are not dinged for things that happen when autopilot is engaged or for the first 3 seconds after disengagement. So if you are on AP and “slam on the brakes” unless you’re coming to a complete stop from very fast so that you were decelerating hard for a long time, it doesn't count. And the FCW you got because someone swerved into your lane wouldn’t count either
Very strange. Where can I read the safety score page?
I have collision warnings set to "early". I am the only one who drives my car and I only know of the one incident that day where I heard the warning chime.

Very strange. Where can I read the safety score page?

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
I am what most people would consider an habitual granny driver. I keep huge buffers between my car and the next. I drive the speed limit or below. I signal every intention. I rarely pass. Etc. I also practice one-pedal driving in the tesla, so I use regenerative braking almost all of the time.

I have had 4 FCW dings to my safety score in the past 2 weeks and NONE of them were remotely close to a collision. #1 and #2 were someone that slammed on their brakes in front of me (at the edge of my large buffer) and I just lifted my foot off the accelerator and let the regenerative braking slowed me down. #3 was a bicyclist in the green zone next to me that never would have been a collision warning in the first place. #4, yesterday, was me moving to the left turn lane (plenty of room and I signaled) while the driver in the lane I was leaving was slowing down.

I am all in favor of the Safety Score system and using it to determine insurance rates or FSD beta program inclusion, but it has to be based on MY driving behavior and not fallacies in the algorithm and/or not using the telemetry and GPS data that the car has at its disposal. In essence, the FSD computer should be comparing my driving to what it would do (in essence, riding shotgun), but Tesla is doing much more of a hack job than that.

I've written to Tesla twice in the past month asking them to do specific things to resolve this problem, and it is clear from yesterday's FCW that I have to write to them again. Most notably, there should be no 'hard braking' dings if I use regenerative braking.

If you look at the website description of the safety score system at Safety Score Beta (not the app, which has a much shorter description) it mentions "Events are captured based on the 'medium' Forward Collision Warning sensitivity setting regardless of your user's setting in the vehicle". Therefore, if your personal setting on the car is set to Late, you'd observe what you're observing - some of the FCW dings you get on your SS are not reflected by beeps in the car. If you set it to Medium, you'll get an audible alert every time SS marks one against you. If you set it to Early, you'll get some audible alerts that even the SS doesn't register as an FCW, but this might help train you to better avoid ones that will affect it.
I tried that suggestion and it didn't help. In the last 2 days SS has noted 2 times when cars PARKED on the side of the road constituted collision warnings!!!

I re-enrolled my wife’s Model 3 in the FSD Beta queue a couple of days ago. The safety score for the first day of driving showed multiple forward collision warnings, but there were no actual warnings (or anything close) and the FCW setting is medium. Got dinged for hard braking even though I drove very carefully. Safety score is 64. Looks like nothing has changed since the last time I enrolled.

I am what most people would consider an habitual granny driver. I keep huge buffers between my car and the next. I drive the speed limit or below. I signal every intention. I rarely pass. Etc. I also practice one-pedal driving in the tesla, so I use regenerative braking almost all of the time.

I have had 4 FCW dings to my safety score in the past 2 weeks and NONE of them were remotely close to a collision. #1 and #2 were someone that slammed on their brakes in front of me (at the edge of my large buffer) and I just lifted my foot off the accelerator and let the regenerative braking slowed me down. #3 was a bicyclist in the green zone next to me that never would have been a collision warning in the first place. #4, yesterday, was me moving to the left turn lane (plenty of room and I signaled) while the driver in the lane I was leaving was slowing down.

I am all in favor of the Safety Score system and using it to determine insurance rates or FSD beta program inclusion, but it has to be based on MY driving behavior and not fallacies in the algorithm and/or not using the telemetry and GPS data that the car has at its disposal. In essence, the FSD computer should be comparing my driving to what it would do (in essence, riding shotgun), but Tesla is doing much more of a hack job than that.

I've written to Tesla twice in the past month asking them to do specific things to resolve this problem, and it is clear from yesterday's FCW that I have to write to them again. Most notably, there should be no 'hard braking' dings if I use regenerative braking.
Same-ish. I do like passing people sometimes. But anyway...

I found it super easy to have a 100 score (at first) without changing a thing about my driving. I also don't understand how anyone could ever get dinged for "Aggressive Turning"; that seems like some Initial D type stuff to me. But then I drove to Dallas, and I got dinged for FCWs whenever people stopped quickly in front of me to make a right turn. And pretty much any time I visit a big city, that's when I get FCWs from people making sudden right turns and Unsafe Following from people cutting me off on the highway. So now I just live with always having a 99 because of big city driving.

Regarding the OPs question, I've seen the same thing and for the same reason as others have stated. I had tried to set my FCW to Late when I visit a big city, but I figured out that my Safety Score didn't seem to care about my personal setting and still dinged me just as much.

I re-enrolled my wife’s Model 3 in the FSD Beta queue a couple of days ago. The safety score for the first day of driving showed multiple forward collision warnings, but there were no actual warnings (or anything close) and the FCW setting is medium. Got dinged for hard braking even though I drove very carefully. Safety score is 64. Looks like nothing has changed since the last time I enrolled.
I checked my FCW setting, and it was actually set to Late, so I changed it to Medium. Today's drive (only 4 miles) didn't have any FCW's, just a little hard braking (don't know where). Safety score is now 71 overall, 98 for today.

I opted in and drove 2 miles to the grocery and back. At no time was there a car in front of me, empty street. I got dinged for AEB triggering. How can it trigger on empty air? Put a ticket in to Tesla service, and I’ll see what they say.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy
Can anyone confirm that if you stop in a parking spot but don't switch to park and just wait, any car that passes by, reduces the score?

Had a crazy score of about 100 warnings per 1000 miles.

No, that isn't how it works. A short drive with one FCW would get logged as 101.9, I think that is the number, FCWs per 1000 miles which is the maximum. (If you drove 2 miles and had 1 FCW, that would be 500 FCWs per 1000 miles if they didn't limit the number.)

I want to jump in here as I just opted into the beta in my new MYP. This is my 2nd Tesla but I did not have FSD on the first. I am constantly getting tagged with FCW hits that I don't understand. I drive mostly in traffic in the city and have my setting set to "early". I never hear or see anything happen during a drive but might have 1 or 2 dings when I get to my location.

What I would really like (and I know it will never happen) is for some sort of chime or warning to flash every time I do something wrong. Take a corner a little aggressive...ding ding ding...now I know not to do that next time. Same for all of the touch points that affect the safety score.

Just my 2 cents. I am enjoying following this part of the forum and hope I get selected into the beta at some point.

Reactions: JohnnyHo