Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw a few posts on the release of the new button to join the FSD beta.
After stating that your driving habits will be reviewed for consideration of acceptance to the program, the on-screen instructions go on to state:

“You can view your Safety Score from the Tesla app at any time (version 4.1.0 or newer)”

I don’t have FSD and therefore (I assume) can’t be in the beta program. Is this score available to the rest of us? If so, how do we view it? Where in the app is it located?

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, but searching for “safety score” brought up only one relevant post but it appeared to be in Dutch.

Reactions: dhrivnak and jchag
I wish to know how to opt out of this system entirely. I tried Chat, and no one seems to know the answer. The current data sharing options only have to do non-VIN linked data. The privacy policy does did not say anything about collecting this type of data.

I would have not purchased my S if this kind of system was in place, and will sell it if there is no true way to opt out.

I just saw a few posts on the release of the new button to join the FSD beta.
After stating that your driving habits will be reviewed for consideration of acceptance to the program, the on-screen instructions go on to state:

“You can view your Safety Score from the Tesla app at any time (version 4.1.0 or newer)”

I don’t have FSD and therefore (I assume) can’t be in the beta program. Is this score available to the rest of us? If so, how do we view it? Where in the app is it located?

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, but searching for “safety score” brought up only one relevant post but it appeared to be in Dutch.

Tesla has entire blog that explains how the safety score works:

Is this score available to the rest of us?

Short answer: Unknown.

The original intent was to screen out so many requests for FSD beta.

However, the Safety Score page doesn't mention its original purpose so it could be interpreted as for everyone who wants to know their Safety Score regardless if they want FSD beta or not.

If so, how do we view it? Where in the app is it located?
You can view it in the Tesla app, not on the car's screens.

It's located on the app's main screen. Just scroll down pass the "Upgrades" and before reaching "Service".

Notice that you have to have a Tesla app version 4.1.0 or higher to see it. I don't have it and I don't know how to get it. Usually, there's a time lag between the announcement and my android app update.

It's displayed on message number 2,360.

Last edited:
Thanks @diplomat33 for the link. Great explanation of how the score is determined. Unfortunately, as a new vision-only MY owner stuck on 2021.11.102, I appear to not be eligible to see my score, which requires not only version 4.1 on the app, but 2021.32.22 or higher on the car as well.

Hopefully, Tesla will soon merge update branches so us new owners can get the stuff everyone else has (Disney+, Car Wash Mode, Safety Score, Mirror Dimming Controls, etc.) but that discussion is already beaten to death in another forum…

There have been several confirmations from radarless pure vision FSD owners who got the 2121.32.22 update and enrolled in the Safety Score as mentioned on message number 2,339.
I didn’t purchase FSD, but always use the FSD Visualization Preview. I would love to get the 2021.32.22 update for the other stuff in my original post, including my Safety Score. I wonder if any vision-only non-FSD owners with the same configuration as me have been updated.
MYLR/White/Black/5 Seat/20”/Tow/No FSD
Built in August and delivered on 09/03.

I didn’t purchase FSD, but always use the FSD Visualization Preview. I would love to get the 2021.32.22 update for the other stuff in my original post, including my Safety Score. I wonder if any vision-only non-FSD owners with the same configuration as me have been updated.
MYLR/White/Black/5 Seat/20”/Tow/No FSD
Built in August and delivered on 09/03.
Although the webpage doesn't mention the purpose of the Safety Score, the consent on the car's display does state that it is used for FSD beta requests. So it's very unlikely that non-FSD owners would get that option at least at current until they might expand the use for other purposes.

Reactions: ScottNY
Although the webpage doesn't mention the purpose of the Safety Score, the consent on the car's display does state that it is used for FSD beta requests. So it's very unlikely that non-FSD owners would get that option at least at current until they might expand the use for other purposes.

Where does it say FSD Beta request is required for safety score? The language in the FSD button indicates that your score will be used, rather than saying it will be activated. It not being active for everyone at the moment is not nessesarily indicative that it's not a full forced change. No apparent way to opt out.

Screenshot_20210925-110749.png

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I wish to know how to opt out of this system entirely. I tried Chat, and no one seems to know the answer. The current data sharing options only have to do non-VIN linked data. The privacy policy does did not say anything about collecting this type of data.

I would have not purchased my S if this kind of system was in place, and will sell it if there is no true way to opt out.
Yea, turn off data sharing and relax. It's an opt in button.

Relax, turn off data sharing and do not opt in. Guess what everything is tracking you already.

Relax, turn off data sharing and do not opt in. Guess what everything is tracking you already.
Current data is not linked to the VIN, and is optional. This is explicitly noted in both the data sharing tab, and the privacy policy. I have no problem with voluntarily sharing data, but I don't want to own a vehicle with a mandatory gamified safety score. Just personal preference.

Where does it say FSD Beta request is required for safety score?
No where on the webpage but the car's display screen.
The language in the FSD button indicates that your score will be used, rather than saying it will be activated.
Firmware 2021.32.22 allows an option for:

"Request Full Self-Driving Beta"

Clicking on that would give you the screen:

"Limited Early Access Full Self-Driving Beta" which gives Tesla consent for Safety Score to determine the eligibility (for FSD beta).

It not being active for everyone at the moment is not nessesarily indicative that it's not a full forced change.

Currently, Safety Score is used to determine the eligibility for FSD beta.

It's possible to expand for other uses in future but someone needs to decide and write some code lines for a new purpose

No apparent way to opt out.

Not on a webpage but if you can go to your car's screen, there's an easy opt-out

Opt-out-1590x1200.jpg