Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the latest software 2021.32.22 in my June 2020 MY and also the 4.1.0 Tesla app, but not seeing the safety score in my app yet. I did a short 6 mile drive after installing everything/opting in and still no score. Maybe you need more mileage before it gives you a score?

357448c3-0a88-4d8e-95e4-4592cc118afa-jpeg.722775

Tesla-FSD-Beta-Release-Sept-24-rollout-plan.png

This was before he changed the rules from letting 1000 people in a day starting with those who had a 100 score. Since that didn't hold true we really don't know when they snapshot will be taken from.

A little ridiculous? This is f'n insanity.

I had a perfect 100 until shortly before v10.2 rolled out. Then, just a few days ago, I lost my 99. Now, apparently I have to drive 86 perfect miles to get it back. Here I go, on to a Maryland toll road that is lighter traffic than the beltway. I'm actually paying money to travel on a toll road in an effort to improve my score. I'm really quite ashamed of myself, but I can't help it. I won't dare tell my wife what I'm actually doing.
Just go with the path of less resistance and tell her you're going to go see the mistress!

I needed 850-ish miles to get from 99 to 100 and I actually had a road trip planned that gave me close to 1200 perfect miles. I'm currently sitting at 1989 miles with 99.5772%, meaning it would take me 100+ miles of 99% to down rank me. I guess I'll be fine!

Just go with the path of less resistance and tell her you're going to go see the mistress!

I needed 850-ish miles to get from 99 to 100 and I actually had a road trip planned that gave me close to 1200 perfect miles. I'm currently sitting at 1989 miles with 99.5772%, meaning it would take me 100+ miles of 99% to down rank me. I guess I'll be fine!
Good job with the suburban Philly roads. My biggest challenge is the short yellow lights we have in PA. At speed limit (much less above the speed limit) there are points where it is impossible to stop without getting dinged for hard braking or running the red light.

I try to stay on AP any time I am approaching a light and trust that it will stop me if it changes.

Last night I had to correct for a hard braking system got that morning. I went driving a route where I wouldn’t have any lights and pulsed speed up and down wherever possible. Gotta correct those dings on the day of otherwise part of your permanent record.

I’m carious if with our 100 scores we will get a download before Friday.

Reactions: helvio
Remember that what's being evaluated is the risk around your car, not you as a driver. Living is the suburban Philly area, I got dinged a few times by deer. Braking hard was the right thing to do and I did it to avoid an accident, but the existence of deer increase the likelihood of an accident and this is what they try to capture.
You're giving Elon and Tesla WAY to much credit for having a plan or a process that was thought out in any way. If they wanted to evaluate the driving environment, as you suggest, they could have monitored the safety score in the dark. Instead, they gave the drivers the ability to significantly alter the results of that evaluation, completely invalidating your premise, I'm afraid.

Elon has said that the safest DRIVERS would get it first, not the drivers in the safest environments.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and Ramphex
You're giving Elon and Tesla WAY to much credit for having a plan or a process that was thought out in any way. If they wanted to evaluate the driving environment, as you suggest, they could have monitored the safety score in the dark. Instead, they gave the drivers the ability to significantly alter the results of that evaluation, completely invalidating your premise, I'm afraid.

Elon has said that the safest DRIVERS would get it first, not the drivers in the safest environments.
Remember, this is not the FSD test, this is Tesla Insurance applied for FSD and by any means is the best gauge. It's a gauge. The score reflects the numbers that matter for Tesla insurance, which are likelihood of accident. Tesla intends to be liable for accidents while on Autopilot, therefore those don't count. It makes sense.

Don't take Elon's promise tweets literally. He is tweet-happy and overpromises. His reactive tweets are interesting though, where he admitted that the score needs to be fine tuned to reality.

Good job with the suburban Philly roads. My biggest challenge is the short yellow lights we have in PA. At speed limit (much less above the speed limit) there are points where it is impossible to stop without getting dinged for hard braking or running the red light.

I try to stay on AP any time I am approaching a light and trust that it will stop me if it changes.

Last night I had to correct for a hard braking system got that morning. I went driving a route where I wouldn’t have any lights and pulsed speed up and down wherever possible. Gotta correct those dings on the day of otherwise part of your permanent record.

I’m carious if with our 100 scores we will get a download before Friday.
Thanks! It's not too bad here. My rule of thumb is to use AP at all times, then whenever not possible, drive like you have food on icy roads. I might have annoyed some people at some turns, especially, but I have not done anything illegal or that I really wouldn't have done if I had food in the car.

And yes, gotta fix those scores within the day! I had a 96 starting my road trip back. Luckily I bumped it up to 100 by doing the brake roll. So I scored 600 something miles at 100. That was a relief and I didn't have to convince my girlfriend of anything, because she was there and cheering for me! She's a keeper <3

Thanks! It's not too bad here. My rule of thumb is to use AP at all times, then whenever not possible, drive like you have food on icy roads. I might have annoyed some people at some turns, especially, but I have not done anything illegal or that I really wouldn't have done if I had food in the car.

And yes, gotta fix those scores within the day! I had a 96 starting my road trip back. Luckily I bumped it up to 100 by doing the brake roll. So I scored 600 something miles at 100. That was a relief and I didn't have to convince my girlfriend of anything, because she was there and cheering for me! She's a keeper <3
I’m taking a road trip to Boston this weekend and I’m hoping that’s NOT the first place I try out the beta!

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex and helvio
Remember, this is not the FSD test, this is Tesla Insurance applied for FSD and by any means is the best gauge. It's a gauge. The score reflects the numbers that matter for Tesla insurance, which are likelihood of accident. Tesla intends to be liable for accidents while on Autopilot, therefore those don't count. It makes sense.

Don't take Elon's promise tweets literally. He is tweet-happy and overpromises. His reactive tweets are interesting though, where he admitted that the score needs to be fine tuned to reality.
I honestly don’t think that Tesla will get any states insurance comissioner to approve the use of THIS Safety Score to adjust a subscribers insurance rates in realtime (daily) anytime soon. It’s really just not ready for primetime IMHO. We’ll see. I know they just introduced Tesla Insurance in Texas, and the Safety Score, but I don’t think we know if this is the driver. There have been some speculative webpage images, but I haven’t seen a user who has confirmed that the score is driving their rate adjustments.

I honestly don’t think that Tesla will get any states insurance comissioner to approve the use of THIS Safety Score to adjust a subscribers insurance rates in realtime (daily) anytime soon. It’s really just not ready for primetime IMHO. We’ll see. I know they just introduced Tesla Insurance in Texas, and the Safety Score, but I don’t think we know if this is the driver. There have been some speculative webpage images, but I haven’t seen a user who has confirmed that the score is driving their rate adjustments.
I wouldn't get Tesla insurance if it required me to have/use the safety score. If Tesla shared this information with other insurance companies it would be enough for me to switch cars. I don't want my car turning into big brother. Using it for the Beta is one thing but forcing it onto people will not sit well with most.

I wouldn't get Tesla insurance if it required me to have/use the safety score. If Tesla shared this information with other insurance companies it would be enough for me to switch cars. I don't want my car turning into big brother. Using it for the Beta is one thing but forcing it onto people will not sit well with most.

AFAIK only in Texas is the safety score currently used for insurance rates, but they intend to use it everywhere eventually

It's a valid point, but insurance companies already track people by what they can.
Every reported accident has this data, for example:

- Car Year
- Car Make
- Car Model
- Car Mileage
- Driver age
- Driver Licensed since
- Driver Gender
- Driver address
- Accident address

From there you can get more data, like
- Average income per capita and per household on both ZIP Codes
- Average education level for both ZIP Codes

Some companies give you a Bluetooth tracker in exchange for discounts to get all sorts of telemetric data to add to that list
Then they run statistics on all that to determine your premium.

Tesla Insurance would be not very different, except they only track and insure Teslas. Your data is never personally identifiable, so everyone your age/sex/location would get the same price, before discounts/surcharges. I would gladly go with them, personally. I already opt in to give them data to improve the fleet from goodwill, having a financial benefit from that would be a no-brainer for me.
EDIT: Apparently in Texas it's indeed individualized data. Thanks @Knightshade

Reactions: edseloh
If Tesla shared this information with other insurance companies it would be enough for me to switch cars.
They can't share that information with 3rd parties unless you give them permission. Read the small letters carefully before accepting.

ps : Tesla will never, ever get the kind of information Google, ISP, Cell phone company, Retailers, Credit Card companies have on you and share.

Reactions: edseloh and Ramphex
It's a valid point, but insurance companies already track people by what they can.
Every reported accident has this data, for example:

- Car Year
- Car Make
- Car Model
- Car Mileage
- Driver age
- Driver Licensed since
- Driver Gender
- Driver address
- Accident address

From there you can get more data, like
- Average income per capita and per household on both ZIP Codes
- Average education level for both ZIP Codes

Some companies give you a Bluetooth tracker in exchange for discounts to get all sorts of telemetric data to add to that list
Then they run statistics on all that to determine your premium.

Tesla Insurance would be not very different, except they only track and insure Teslas. Your data is never personally identifiable, so everyone your age/sex/location would get the same price, before discounts/surcharges. I would gladly go with them, personally. I already opt in to give them data to improve the fleet from goodwill, having a financial benefit from that would be a no-brainer for me.
EDIT: Apparently in Texas it's indeed individualized data. Thanks @Knightshade
I believe someone on this forum said those insurance tracking devices weren't legal in California. I don't live in California or know for sure but that is what someone said. I would push for legislation like this in my state though if something like safety score become required.

You are 100% correct that insurance companies use demographics and car information to assess risk. I'm ok with this though because these statistics actually use cases of accidents and theft.

I have problems with the safety score thing (and devices like the progressive snapshot). I don't believe having a better safety score for instance means you are a better driver. Tesla hasn't shown any proof that the thresholds they have set mean you are a safer driver. I will argue that I even went through some questionable yellow lights because I didn't want to get hit with a aggressive braking for instance. This wasn't as safe as stopping would have been. Same with the aggressive turning which I have had go off entering expressways. I also don't like being tracked. Driving in the city for instance raises the chances of my car being stolen will Tesla charge more for that next.

I am more open to sharing data to improve the software also. I'm not going to change my driving behavior in this case. Usually when you do this they don't keep personal details on file. It is just a model 3 running auto pilot disengaged because driver wasn't paying attention etc.

Edit to fix uses to use....

Last edited:
They can't share that information with 3rd parties unless you give them permission. Read the small letters carefully before accepting.

ps : Tesla will never, ever get the kind of information Google, ISP, Cell phone company, Retailers, Credit Card companies have on you and share.
I read the post I replied to worng. I read it as Tesla sharing the data to the state's insurance commissioner... My mistake there.

You can easily hide your information from your ISP by using a VPN. Google is one of the most intrusive companies but people that think they are getting all that for free are crazy. Difference with all of these though is they aren't using this data to charge me for a product. I don't agree SafetyScore (or snapshot) mean you are less likely to get in an accident. I also think it becomes a slippey slope of them then saying well you drive here or this many miles so we are going to charge you more.

Reactions: Ramphex
reading these posts are hilarious....grown men driving throughout the night, tailgating and doing weird maneuvers to get their scores up, as well as hiding it from their wives because this is,....well....so lame and embarrising !!!! LOL. COUNT ME IN...IM ONE OF THOSE GUYS!!!

I'm at 99,...I doubt i will get to 100....theres some dinks I didnt realize i could have improved the same day prior to reading this stuff. But at 99! ..Im totally confused with that excel spreadsheet. I have a 500 mile trip planned , part through NYC to go to buffalo. CAN THE KID MAINTAIN THE 99??? woooo hooo!

ps,..after all this I hope improving our scores to 99 by this friday truely meets criteria to play around with the beta

R

The score is being used to adjust rates, but on a monthly basis not daily. You start with an assumption of a score of 90, and then after your first 30 days you will get a notice saying that based on the last 30 days safety score your rate 30 days from now will go to x. (So you get 2 months with the rates set based on 90 before it starts changing every month.)

Updated info for AP 2.0 cars…
I just got off the phone with an agent on the vehicle support line. After some research and messaging with internal support folks they stated that “early S and X” cars that have gotten the HW3 and MCU2 upgrade will be able to get the FSD beta with our AP2.0 cameras. However, they have put us at the very end of the list after all other FSD beta requests have been filled. Naturally, they didn’t have any details how long that would take.

They were able to put in a “request” that older cars will 100 score be brought to the top of the queue since we have been waiting close to 5 years now, but they didn’t have a way to track the response.

The best that can probably be done now is to have more eligible early AP2.0 cars request the reprioritization to the proper place in the queue based on safety score vs. just being told “you are at the back of the line”.

I also think it becomes a slippey slope of them then saying well you drive here or this many miles so we are going to charge you more.
Well - then Tesla insurance is not for you then. Unlike EVs & FSD, there are a ton of insurance companies you can use !

I personally use the Costco linked insurance because they insure vehicles & home. Also, the way Tesla has structured the insurance (they won't take into account age or experience or accident history) means they will probably end up with younger people with bad accident history ;)

Reactions: THXULTRA
Like I said, nowhere in there does Elon say the safety score only uses 7 days of data to determine FSD Beta eligibility.

Originally, the FSD Beta was to be rolled out to 1000 people per day, one week after The Button was available. Plans changed, and one week turned into two weeks. 1000 new users per day turned into 1000 per release (or thereabouts, no one knows the exact numbers).

We know Tesla is looking at the entire range of up to 30 days of data because some people who did not have 100% at the time of the first release (10.2) managed to pull their score up and received the second release of 10.2. The people who have 99% or greater by the end of the week will receive version 10.3 of the Beta software, assuming Tesla follows through on time.