Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Score didn’t show for me after a 5-ish mile drive, but after I deleted and reinstalled iOS Tesla app my score from that drive showed up:91 for “aggressive turning”. That was likely due to the three roundabouts on my route.
I've tried rebooting and reinstalling. I definitely have the latest version of the app, but for whatever reason the menu option refuses to display.

Reactions: Nvbob
Seems like more experimentation is needed after discussion above. Seems like setting follow distance to 1 and using AP a bit for a short segment over 50mph would be interesting.

I’m not entirely convinced Tesla is calculating the overall averages correctly either. They can’t average the percentages of course and they may be ignoring 0% in the individual segment reports.

For example, I have taken 5 segments today. The first and the third were the longest, equal length, 0% score on one, 7.3% on the other long one. The fourth segment was fairly short and I got a 2.4%. My average is suspiciously 4.9%. This is the average of 2.4% and 7.3%. (4.85%, an invalid calculation in any case most likely; you cannot average averages)

Mathematically it is possible that this is a coincidence due to the way events and the ratios are counted…but suspicious:
(All approximate below, does not quite add to 46 since they do not report individual segment lengths I had to estimate.)
Trip 1: 11 miles. 0%. Freeway, lots of following events.
Trip 2: 2.5 miles. 0%, no events, surface streets.
Trip 3: 13.5 miles. 7.3%. Freeway, lots of following events.
Trip 4: 7.7 miles. 2.4% freeway, small amount of following events.
Trip 5: 10.1 miles. 0%, freeway, lots of following events.

Something to keep an eye on anyway. It is a Beta after all. With three numbers rather than two non-zero if it is still the simple average of the averages that would be increasingly unlikely to be correct unless all the segments are very similar…
View attachment 714360View attachment 714361View attachment 714362
So I did the experiment. I used my follow distance of 2, and sat on the freeway on AP behind another car driving lower than my set speed. So I was right up his backside. After exiting after 10 miles and recalculating score, my unsafe following percentage is 0. No negative effect of using follow distance 2 on AP.

And again, this is what we should expect because the documentation says none of the metrics are calculated on AP except AP disengagements.

...Also unclear if braking to disengage Autopilot to get out of a situation it didn't predict then results in a lower score as technically Autopilot is no longer engaged?

You can brake all you want without penalties as long as it's not a hard brake.

You can disengage Autopilot with a quick tap with no penalty or a hard brake with penalty.

Of course in an emergency, if the Autopilot does not brake in time, there's no other choice but to brake as hard as you can to avoid a collision but with a penalty of course.

You can brake all you want without penalties as long as it's not a hard brake.

You can disengage Autopilot with a quick tap with no penalty or a hard brake with penalty.

Of course in an emergency, if the Autopilot does not brake in time, there's no other choice but to brake as hard as you can to avoid a collision but with a penalty of course.
Hard brake penalty is severe. I’m perfect green across the board, but 1 hard brake put me down to 85. Arghh

Hard brake penalty is severe. I’m perfect green across the board, but 1 hard brake put me down to 85. Arghh
If this works as other insurance systems (I use State Farm), then the score averages over miles. It is enough to have a looooong uneventful highway trip to get your total overall score to near 99% even if you totally screwed up on every city corner.

So I did the experiment. I used my follow distance of 2, and sat on the freeway on AP behind another car driving lower than my set speed. So I was right up his backside. After exiting after 10 miles and recalculating score, my unsafe following percentage is 0. No negative effect of using follow distance 2 on AP.

And again, this is what we should expect because the documentation says none of the metrics are calculated on AP except AP disengagements.
And I did one more drive and it appears they are doing the averaging correctly for the other metrics as well (I got 0% on my next drive for unsafe following and my score went down as expected). Just a weird coincidence!

All is well it sounds like.

For those of you who've tried EVERYTHING suggested and still can't see the safety score on your app (and you're an iphone user), make sure you're logged into the app as the account owner of the car. it won't show for any other account you've authorized.

Does anyone know if letting the pedal off at highway speeds and letting full regen braking take over counts as hard braking? It appears so.

Just doing the math here. Imagine you're driving 67 mph on the freeway and let off the accelerator completely because someone cuts you off (which, who out there drives on a freeway where cutting off DOESN'T happen?). You're absolutely slowing down faster than 6.7 mph/s. Letting off the accelerator at 67 mph - you're definitely coming to a stop (0 MPH) faster than 10 seconds.

Reactions: edseloh and Matias
I signed up for the FSD beta this morning before a several-hour road trip, and there’s no safety score on my app for today’s driving. I’ve got the latest app version. ???
Upon reading more entries, I logged out of the app, restarted it and logged back in. I got a 96% for today’s drive.
Why in the hell can’t this “trick” be included in the FSD Beta sign up process in the Autopilot screen?

Last edited:
Ha ha ha. Morons. I got the update on an iPad which had the old app installed. When I updated I saw my score was 7 for a deliberateply mellow trip to the hardware store a mile away! Ha ha ha. Morons. Hard braking? Sorry, none, unless you mean when I came to a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill and regen wasn’t going to be enough so I braked softly enough that Grammy wouldn’t have woken up from her afternoon slumber. Moreover I got a forward collision warning because I passed by a car parked in the side of a wide road. Huh? Or maybe it was because I got a lane departure warning because I was in my goddamned driveway. Larfs! Glad I don’t have Tesla insurance, what a joke.

Ha ha ha. Morons. I got the update on an iPad which had the old app installed. When I updated I saw my score was 7 for a deliberateply mellow trip to the hardware store a mile away! Ha ha ha. Morons. Hard braking? Sorry, none, unless you mean when I came to a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill and regen wasn’t going to be enough so I braked softly enough that Grammy wouldn’t have woken up from her afternoon slumber. Moreover I got a forward collision warning because I passed by a car parked in the side of a wide road. Huh? Or maybe it was because I got a lane departure warning because I was in my goddamned driveway. Larfs! Glad I don’t have Tesla insurance, what a joke.

This grading system is a joke. It’s quite dangerous to game it. I found out why I had poor follow distance. It was because people would cut me off at 75mph and AP takes awhile to back off to follow distance 7. What I did was drove 50-55mph on the way home. Every car changed lanes in front of me at 75-80.

Also, hard to time traffic lights so I just cruised through all yellows, late yellows, and just turned Reds. Hit a poor rabbit on the way home at 30mph. Was scared to get a hard braking ding.

Got my score back to 99.

Attachments

• A4C79B0D-903E-4092-8674-9B5CD1BC2190.jpeg
    A4C79B0D-903E-4092-8674-9B5CD1BC2190.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 60