Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the safety score (beta) documentation says:
“The Safety Score formula ignores any events (not just Forward Collision Warnings) that occur while Autopilot is engaged and appropriately utilized.”
And:
“Only use the various Autopilot features as described in your Owner’s Manual.”
And the owner‘s manual says:
"Autosteer is intended for use on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present."

Is it possible that @Knightshade has finally been proven right? Is Tesla penalizing people for using Autopilot on city streets? I'm seeing a lot of people getting low scores saying "I used Autopilot the whole drive!"

The other factor that people seem to be ignoring is that the hard braking, cornering, and unsafe distance metrics are all proportions. You need to increase the denominator by driving like a normal safe driver, if you drive like a grandma all the time the few times you're forced to brake hard or someone cutting in front of you is going to count a lot more.

I'm sure Tesla has the statistics to back up their formula. Obviously people trying to game the formula will reduce its predictive ability. Though maybe the ability to win the game is predictive of FSD Beta monitoring skills?
Hi Daniel,

I am driving to mountain bike today. It is almost all highway. Will see if FSD can pull my score up into the 90s.

we just saw the beginning of the era where Tesla will be driven like Oldsmobiles

Also the fleet tracking has nothing to do with the driving culture or the safe driving in your particular part of the country.

Someone who lives in a less populated area might be able to drive their car like a funeral procession. But that same driving could be less than ideal and contrary to the flow of traffic and style of driving in Atlanta, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, DC, etc., I've driven in all these areas and you need to drive defensively in such areas in order to drive safely.

The only true measure of safe driving is how many accidents you have had. Whether you run red lights, if you run stop signs, how many people you cut off or heck even how many close calls you have are also factors. This Orwellian algorithm does track close calls with the collision warning triggers and tailgating with the follow distance, which I agree with, but the other factors prevent you from ever enjoying the car you bought and causing needless stress. If someone cuts you off suddenly and you slow down extra to increase the following distance this BS algorithm actually panelizes you for that.

The worst part is that this score is completely based on the false equivalency that your personal preferences for manual driving has anything to do with being able to safely monitor the car on FSD Beta. I am super careful when the car drives on Autopilot and I've driven on Autopilot for tens of thousands of miles.

I am shocked people who bought a Tesla, some the Performance variants, are okay with this. What is the point of buying a Tesla if you can't occasionally enjoy your car. Occasionally enjoying your Tesla has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to responsibly monitor FSD Beta.

Reactions: Maxpilot
Also the fleet tracking has nothing to do with the driving culture or the safe driving in your particular part of the country.

Someone who lives in a less populated area might be able to drive their car like a funeral procession. But that same driving could be less than ideal and contrary to the flow of traffic and style of driving in Atlanta, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, DC, etc., I've driven in all these areas and you need to drive defensively in such areas in order to drive safely.

The only true measure of safe driving is how many accidents you have had. Whether you run red lights, if you run stop signs, how many people you cut off or heck even how many close calls you have are also factors. This Orwellian algorithm does track close calls with the collision warning triggers and tailgating with the follow distance, which I agree with, but the other factors prevent you from ever enjoying the car you bought and causing needless stress. If someone cuts you off suddenly and you slow down extra to increase the following distance this BS algorithm actually panelizes you for that.

The worst part is that this score is completely based on the false equivalency that your personal preferences for manual driving has anything to do with being able to safely monitor the car on FSD Beta. I am super careful when the car drives on Autopilot and I've driven on Autopilot for tens of thousands of miles.

I am shocked people who bought a Tesla, some the Performance variants, are okay with this. What is the point of buying a Tesla if you can't occasionally enjoy your car. Occasionally enjoying your Tesla has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to responsibly monitor FSD Beta.
2 years ago I installed an app which was monitorint the driving with GPS
For 100 days and 1000 miles

I had 100% score after 960 miles and one the last driving day I made I had to stop suddenyl after passing the gate at work to avoid being hit by the gate going down and avoid cutting a car on the road perpendicular to the parking exit. When I got back at work to go for a consul I ran in the parking lot. The app made my score go from 100% to 83% on my laat day for a single drive where the app didnt understand at all what happened.

My rebate went from 25% to 21% on my $1200 insurance premium annualy

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and EVNow

If your version of driving "enjoying" would make the average person nervous, a NN trained by your driving would also.
How can Tesla judge your driving without judging your driving? If you care about being a beta tester, drive conservative. If you'd rather drive like you typically prefer, do that instead and wait for general release.

The formula is not that onerous anyway (depending on threshold for inclusion).

I just went to the app store and searched Tesla. It will show an update. It's not automatic updates. It'll be the same for Android. I had to manually search it last time there was a refresh too.
Opted into FSD beta on my Model X screen. "Pushed" the button, checked the boxes, etc. Installed version 4.1 of the Tesla app on my iPhone. Went for a 20 min. drive. Safety Score is not showing in the app. Deleted and reinstalled the app, turned off and restarted the iPhone. Still no joy. The car is connected to cellular. Not sure what the problem is.

If your version of driving "enjoying" would make the average person nervous, a NN trained by your driving would also.
How can Tesla judge your driving without judging your driving? If you care about being a beta tester, drive conservative. If you'd rather drive like you typically prefer, do that instead and wait for general release.

The formula is not that onerous anyway (depending on threshold for inclusion).

What kind of BS false equivalency is this? There is no one else in the car when I occasionally enjoy the Performance Model S I bought.

If I care about being a "Beta Tester?" This will be in Beta until the end of time. I'd like to at least occasionally use a feature that I paid a good amount of money for 3+ years ago in good faith.

And what kind of nonsense is it that I'm training the NN when I manually drive the car? When I activate FSD Beta, I am monitoring FSD Beta. Occasionally enjoying a turn has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to monitor FSD Beta drives safely.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've always found AP to be much more rush up to the light and brake hard compared to my own driving style, at least for lights that are and have been red for some time. It should never be necessary to brake hard for a yellow light unless someone in front of you brakes hard or some cross traffic is running their red (for a long time) light. If only hard braking will allow you to stop for the light then you should either being going through the yellow, or you are speeding excessively.

I’ve never understood this. Seems like AP should be able to target where it wants to stop and adjust the regen drag to make it happen. Instead it goes up to line and hits the breaks.

Beta testing is not for everyone.

You do realize that FSD Beta will be in for years. right?

Many people have already waited 3-4+ years to finally have something that they can at least occasionally use.

And your personal driving preferences have absolutely noting to do with your ability to safely monitor FSD Beta any more than your personal driving preferences have anything to do with your ability to monitor Autopilot.

Reactions: Saxgod
I have a concern with Safety Score of 96 after I drove 186 mi round trip down to the Jersey Shore from PA. Used FSD on highways 22, 78, 287 and the GSP. Speed set at 5 over the posted speed, which varied from 50 (55), 55 (60), 65 (70)mph on FSD. Safety score bangs me for following to close. Distance was set at 4 on the car computer. Also took a very slight hit, when car decelerated quickly on a Yellow light on AP. I could of easily cleared the light but I let the AP do it's thing. Those were the only roads driven at over 50. Now 287 & GSP was a bit crowded and cars did keep cutting in, so not sure if that was the issue on distance, but FSD/AP automatically adjusts the distance. If I go to 5 on a busy highway it will really have cars honking at me and cutting in even more. Hopefully someone will look at the Following to Closely calculations when using FSD/AP. I'm taking a hit for using it. Maybe publish what distance you want the car set to. Hopefully it won't be one that continues to get us the 1 finger salute. Secondary roads had no traffic so distance wasn't an issue.

If I drive manually that would defeat the purpose of having the FSD beta, you'd think Tesla would want to know how you operate the vehicle using AP/FSD seeing that's what it will be doing under the FSD Beta. Any others noticing anything.

Wife and I share the car, will these be individual or combined, seeing they are tracking the vin and not the driver?

What kind of BS false equivalency is this? There is no one else in the car when I occasionally enjoy the Performance Model S I bought.

If I care about being a "Beta Tester?" This will be in Beta until the end of time. I'd like to at least occasionally use a feature that I paid a good amount of money for 3+ years ago in good faith.

And what kind of nonsense is it that I'm training the NN when I manually drive the car? When I activate FSD Beta, I am monitoring FSD Beta. Occasionally enjoying a turn has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to monitor FSD Beta drives safely.
Context matters and IMO it’s not doing a good job at that. (I would say it’s not even (currently) designed to attempt that)

Reactions: DCEV
Is it possible that @Knightshade has finally been proven right? Is Tesla penalizing people for using Autopilot on city streets? I'm seeing a lot of people getting low scores saying "I used Autopilot the whole drive!"

To be clear, I am right, and you just quoted the owners manual confirming that.

THAT said- you're reading too much into what the score says... it says it won't penalize you for stuff on properly-used AP. That doesn't mean it DOES penalize you for improperly turning AP on--- just that if you do so AND something that'd cause a negative score happens- the system will 'count' it, which it wouldn't do if it happened in "proper" AP use.

Arg
I have iOS app version 4.0.2 (latest) and 2021.32.22 , opt in, rebooted phone and app multiple times and taken multiple long trips and still no score. Anyone else having this issue?

4.02 is not the latest. 4.1.0 is. If you're not seeing it in your automatic updates, search the app store for it and manually install the update.