Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are overly obsessing about the score. We don't know the criteria that Tesla will use to select testers, but my guess is that it will be something like:
  • Everyone with a score between 80 and 92 will be put in the list as a potential tester.
  • That list will then be sorted by a combination of:
    • Average miles driven daily
    • % miles on AP
    • % highway miles
    • % city miles
    • % miles driven at night
    • Geographic location
    • etc.
Then they will pick off the top 100 to get access to the beta and monitor them to see how it goes. If all is well after a couple weeks they will re-do and add a couple hundred more, lather, rinse, repeat.

Note: IMHO: I think they will exclude people with a score above 92 because they know in normal driving you are going to have "events" and it shows they are trying to game the system, and you don't want those kind of people testing your beta software. (Maybe the cut-off will be 95, or 97, but I really think there will be a cut-off.)
How about…you work on keeping your score below 92…and then let us know how it goes next week :p

The score may not be impacted but we don’t know if Tesla will use mileage in their beta selection criteria. My score shows 97 over 55 miles yesterday and 100 over 4 miles today.

I am guessing that Tesla does look at miles. After all, they probably want a tester who does more miles as that would be more beneficial to the dev team. More miles, especially different routes, would mean more data. Someone who games the score by just driving 0.1 miles each day will probably not get in IMO. For one, they will see that the person is trying to game the score. But also, why let someone in who only does 0.1 miles per day of driving?

Reactions: Big Earl
My first safety-rated drive was about 50 miles, nearly all on the interstate, no AP. I drove like a grandma with Prius. 100% One-pedal driving. I expected a 100 rating and was surprised to see my first score was 86. I got dinged for "hard braking" (with regen I didn't think that was possible) and "aggressive turning" (on and off ramps, I guess).

On the return trip, I used AP as soon as I got on the highway and kept it on the whole way home. Telsa rated itself at 100. 😆 So now I have an average score of 93.

I hope when people start getting FSD through the button system they'll post their winning scores and state.

At this point, I think I'm actually really resentful of the fact that I paid for FSD years ago and waited so long and now just to have a chance of using what I paid a bunch of money for, I need to drive my Performance Model S like I'm leading a funeral procession.
Funeral processions would get flagged for Unsafe Following.

My first safety-rated drive was about 50 miles, nearly all on the interstate, no AP. I drove like a grandma with Prius. 100% One-pedal driving. I expected a 100 rating and was surprised to see my first score was 86. I got dinged for "hard braking" (with regen I didn't think that was possible) and "aggressive turning" (on and off ramps, I guess).

On the return trip, I used AP as soon as I got on the highway and kept it on the whole way home. Telsa rated itself at 100. 😆 So now I have an average score of 93.

I hope when people start getting FSD through the button system they'll post their winning scores and state.
It is pretty standard procedure to criticize a person before taking their job.

• Funny
Reactions: Microterf
I think I got “unsafe follow” time for the drive through line at McD’s.

Seriously, they need to filter out low speed FCW, following distance etc.
Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph

I worked on trying to improve my aggressive turning metric today. More miles on autopilot doesn’t seem to effect it. Driving around in a round about for 2 minutes straight didn’t seem to improve it either. However slowly driving around my neighborhood taking as many turns as I could for about a mile and a half drive took me from 5% for the day to 2.3% (I had 39 total miles so far today, the majority on autopilot)

In case it helps:
the proportion of time (expressed as a percentage) where the vehicle experiences lateral acceleration greater than 0.4g, in either the left or right direction, relative to the proportion of time where the vehicle experiences acceleration greater than 0.2g (4.5 mph in one second), in either the left or right direction.

Reactions: fiveten
Totally unrelated, but aero power goes as the cube. Force required to overcome the drag goes as the square of velocity.

Power is force*velocity, and Wh/mi has units of force, so it all works out.
Dang it, you're right , I started expanding this, but figured it was too tangential and late, and I swapped force and power. Force was more appropriate to the discussion, but I had started attempting to call out the squared relationship between Wh/mile and speed versus cubic for speed and kW.

Force (aero) is proportional to speed squared.
Distance is proportional to speed.
So work=force*distance is prop to speed cubed, or power as in kW.
Energy per unit distance is power/ (speed * t) and thus is prop to speed squared or Wh/mile

Edit: also wanted to add to my long post, that the low accelerations require more planning ahead to achieve which theoretically makes a driver/ monitor more aware of the conditions around them with additional thought about what manuvers may be required before they are needed.

Last edited:
Fairly sure, it would be calculated based on total number of infractions / total miles. Just averaging daily scores would give you wrong numbers.
We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) into a mileage-weighted average to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, which is displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app.

I don’t think that is accurate, regardless of what it says. I got dinged for unsafe follow on a driver where I never went above 50…

Note: IMHO: I think they will exclude people with a score above 92 because they know in normal driving you are going to have "events" and it shows they are trying to game the system, and you don't want those kind of people testing your beta software. (Maybe the cut-off will be 95, or 97, but I really think there will be a cut-off.)
I'm driving normal and have a 99. My key is my daily drive is 120mi and 95% interstate on AP. That drive is going through downtown nashville where everyone cuts you off and jammed packed.. It 'supposedly' doesn't count what would be potential dings while on AP but does count the mileage. So I could drive like an A-hole for the 5% non AP and still be 95+ score probably

Reactions: BCNY
100 on FCW actually means you’re on pace to average 100 FCW’s every 1000 miles, or 1 every 10 miles.

Of course you could easily score over a 1000 in that category (1 every mile), if you tried very hard:)
the sad part is that in 2 years I've only had 3 or 4 real FCW alerts, the rest of the countless others have all been false positives.
Don't see you they can use a metric that is so useless as an indication of safe driving.
If AP and the other driver assistance features like FCW can't be relied up to work without driver assistance, how can they be relied upon to rate your driving?

Day three coming up
Driving like I dont own the car anymore and still cant figure this out
How do you turn auto pilot off and not get an error message on screen? Or any message? Feel this is a ding
Avoiding a car drifting in your lane gets you a ding for aggressive turning and hard breaking
Should get points for collision avoidance
Today will determine my fate
Will try going to work and using big time regen in the canyons
I turn so soft and yet get dings. Today I will have to turn more and harder
Went to dinner last night and my son fell asleep in my car while I drove
He said he is not interested if this is how you have to drive to get FSD.
And if you get it will it be taken away if you drive normal again
I so want to Launch. My car is calling me.
And so I am off

I don't see this scoring system as a measure of driving, it's more of a measure of how well their FSD system can interpret the places you drive and how well it will be able to handle it.

Safety score aside. One day last month I tried using the auto steer w/ lane changing on a 4 lane city street, I was coming up to my right turn and there was an extremely long right turn lane, like 700+ feet. There was a bike lane between my lane and the right turn lane, with dashed lines for the bike lane indicating that it was safe to cross the bike lane. I checked to make sure it was clear, and I turned on my turn signal to have it change lanes into the turn lane. It decided to lane change into the bike lane and straddle it... LOL.

Then there's the stupidity of the LKA/autosteer, where the right lane marker disappears because of an off ramp, so it jumps the car a foot or two to the right, only to jump it a foot or two back to the left when the road stripe on the right comes back. If you hold the wheel to actually keep the car in lane, and prevent the unsafe adjustment it's making, it disengages.

For their safety scores. This morning i had a FCW for a car that was so far ahead of me that it initially wasn't visible in the computer model of the cars around me on the dash. I regen braked all the way up to the car, only using the brakes for the last few feet to come to a complete stop. I've also had FCW's a few times for cars that took a right turn and was completely out of my lane when i took my foot off the brake and started accelerating, the computer was just too slow behind the real world to realize the car was gone and there nothing there to collide with. I haven't once had a valid FCW, so their metric there is more of a measure of whether or not their recognition misinterprets what it's seeing in the place i live, with lots of bright sunlight and reflections.

I selected to trial the beta because i'm _hoping_ that it fixes the outright defects in the existing system.

But, taking my kids to school it dings me for fast turns and hard braking, when i'm just pacing all of the traffic around me, blending in. Apparently everyone on the road is supposed to drive like they're driving miss daisy. In Florida, if you drive like that you'll have people running you off the road, many drivers here are crazy and impatient. It's safest to blend in and pace, and just keep out of the way of the crazies. Don't be a crazy, but don't impede the crazies either.

To me, when their computer system can properly interpret a normal and uneventful school drop off in the morning, pacing and blending into traffic around me and score it as 100, that'll signal that it might be ready for beta in my area.

So far, the only accurate piece of their measurement seems to be the safe/unsafe following distance.

Reactions: Ramphex
In case it helps:

Sounds like my idea of just driving in a roundabout for a few minutes would have worked if I pulled between 0.2 and 0.4 g's the whole time.