Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I came up with a pretty good shortcut to help driving for the best score.

Drive like you are on ice. With regard to turning, stopping, cornering and follow distance!

Tried it yesterday and it worked like a charm.
My analogy is to pretend that you have an open mostly full cup of water sitting on your dashboard that you are trying not to spill at any cost.

Reactions: T-Racer
....pretty sure I won't get the Beta FSD software. I have a 6 mile commute on city streets. I had a bunny run in front of my car so I swirved and hit the brakes. This killed my safety score and I won't do enough driving this week to offeset it. I'll just wait until it gets released to the rest of us normal drivers.
I wouldn’t worry about it. I would expect most of us won’t be getting the beta, no matter how good our safety scores are. They’re likely going to do a slow rollout still, and be taking in other factors like geographic regions and environments they need more data from than just if you got a 95-100 score for 7 days. I would honestly expect it would be more useful for them to be comparing scores from people in the same area and driving environments than it would be to just use a “safety score” with no context. Otherwise all their additions to the beta would likely skew to people like me who live in suburban environments where it’s easier to maintain high scores than people who live in busy downtown areas where it’s presumably harder. Being realistic about my chances at getting early access, I honestly don’t see how much they’d benefit from me driving easy suburban neighborhoods (that, judging from the vids, they’re already pretty good at) than they would from someone who drives in Downtown Chicago like Frenchie with a bunch of aggressive drivers and tricky intersections and pedestrians who will randomly step out into the road without looking.

Reactions: EchoDelta
A 150 mile run should bring it back to green.

Yeah I’ve been going out of my way to take longer drives, with less turns, and on streets / at hours with with traffic.

Been driving worse than the little old lady from Pasadena for this beta week. If that doesn’t get me the beta, and I honestly don’t expect it will, it’s back to driving as normal until there is a full public release. I just want to see if I can get first in.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3 and Microterf
Safety Score Observations after driving from FLA to GA and daily driving in ATL traffic:
  • Elon's comment that autopilot driving will be graded as SAFE is a goal. The tool does not do this currently.
  • Hard braking while on autopilot will impact your score
  • On autopilot with spacing at 4 at highway speeds will be graded Unsafe Following. You must increase your spacing to 5 or 6 to get avoid downgrade.
  • I'm not convinced Unsafe Following is only 50+ mph. Today I drove home in ATL traffic with autopilot engaged at 49 MPH and spacing of less than 4....all graded Unsafe Following
  • Bottom Line: Autopilot engagement has no impact on the safety score tool at the moment. Maybe Tesla will throw out this data for consideration...but it does impact your score.
Cheers!

[*]I'm not convinced Unsafe Following is only 50+ mph. Today I drove home in ATL traffic with autopilot engaged at 49 MPH and spacing of less than 4....all graded Unsafe Following

All of my driving since getting the button has been city driving between 25-40. I’ve been dinged with several unsafe followings. Actually that plus forward collision has been my problems.

I’m not sure what distances they are on city streets below 50 and while stopped at lights but I’ve been keeping more than reasonable distances and still getting dings.

Only keep 2-3 car spaces when stoped and more while driving seems to get me a perfect on unsafe follow and forward collision.

Reactions: EVNow

I guess fortunate for me that the criteria doesn't seem to require some minimum mileage that I speculated earlier:
they most likely have way more applicants than spots available, so they could be quite selective in who to allow in even if that means "accidentally" excluding qualified drivers. So even if Safety Score (Beta) has false positives and a simple acceptance filter for say 100 score with at least 30 miles driven per day…
Although it does still seem practical to exclude scores that have a total of 0.1 miles driven… but hey, the simplest thing is to check the single number!

Looks like I was wrong, they are just looking at safety scores if Elon’s recent tweets are accurate. Apparently planning on adding maybe 1k/day after 10.2 is released a week from this Friday. No idea how many FSD drivers are out there who have hit the button, so no clue how long it would take to deploy to everyonewho requested it. And I’d assume if a major accident happens the rollout would be frozen or even rolled back.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looks like I was wrong, they are just looking at safety scores if Elon’s recent tweets are accurate. Apparently planning on adding maybe 1k/day after 10.2 is released a week from this Friday. No idea how many FSD drivers are out there who have hit the button, so no clue how long it would take to deploy to everyonewho requested it. And I’d assume if a major accident happens the rollout would be frozen or even rolled back.

Well I’m screwed. I was getting 99/100 on every trip / everyday, except for one with seeming loads of false positives and it took me to 48 total. Though I’m now back (only) to 71 now. It’s going to be near impossible to get back to 99/100 now.

Well I’m screwed. I was getting 99/100 on every trip / everyday, except for one with seeming loads of false positives and it took me to 48 total. Though I’m now back (only) to 71 now. It’s going to be near impossible to get back to 99/100 now.
I’m at 61 after the one trip with false positives. Gotta put in some extra driving loops for the next two weeks to fix this stupid score :cool:

Weird how they are not selecting from the 80-92 range! 😄 Really not surprised - seemed pretty clear early on that scores greater than 99.5 were necessary.

Anyway, I guess if I can just get one more clean day of about 70 miles, I should be able to get hard braking to 0.2% or so, and back over 99.5, rounding to 100, with a couple hundred miles traveled.

At that point I’ll just have to park the car for a couple weeks, since it would be very easy to destroy the score. Haha.

Really regretting not taking a few trips around the block that first evening to bring down the % for that day (0.5% hard braking). Going to take some real work now.

Really just one inopportune yellow light or accidental FCW away from disaster, though. Or an actual mistake by another driver I have to react to, etc.

I’m surprised that they are not going to specify some minimum mileage…seems like more than 50-100 miles with a score of 100 would be enough to be a decent sample of a driver‘s ability to optimize the score and drive with good control. But if someone has just 10 miles of optimized driving? Not so sure.

Currently at about 145 miles. Must do better! Perfect score with all zeros today, but only 32 miles.
E5C61639-B75E-4FFD-8274-CA7832B3F707.png

9170E241-E71C-4862-9D57-CE08E50ABE1B.png

Reactions: momo3605
On balance, after a few days of driving the Safety Score, I feel like it's pretty good overall as a screening tool, though it definitely induces unnatural driving. They say they may tweak it. If they do, the first thing I think they may tweak is the hard braking - I really do think it is far too easy to trigger it. 0.3g is actually a decent slowing force, but I do think transient decelerations often exceed that as people transition to braking. And it's so relatively restrictive that it leads to quite unnatural driving behavior - moreso than any of the other metrics. Maybe make it 0.4g? Unsafe following, which isn't even weighted very much, is not hard to do decently at, and it's great to enforce. Aggressive turning is a little sensitive, but it's also not all that punitive. I do feel like they could potentially increase the g limit there slightly as well, maybe to 0.35g. I've had a couple of minor dings there and I really can't figure out where they came from - I think primarily they came freeway interchanges where I was below the speed limit (but probably above the yellow recommendation), but I'm not sure.

It is a little weird that they only look for intervals (times) exceeding a certain g value, and do not look at the peak g values, etc. Maybe it all comes out well correlated, but it seems like there could be a better way to grade people's smoothness and measure the real panic of a stop (which is one thing they're trying to check I assume). Maybe it just turns out that lower g's are well correlated with people that don't speed, so maybe it all makes sense.

Still, I'm not convinced it's optimally balanced, and it sounds like Tesla isn't ready to call it optimal either.

It does sound like from others (at this point) that AP use masks all of the traffic lights (I guess there is still uncertainty but certainly a few people say it takes care of it), so that would take care of most hard braking, but it is kind of a bit silly as using AP in those situations is kind of annoying.

Last edited:
On balance, after a few days of driving the Safety Score, I feel like it's pretty good overall as a screening tool, though it definitely induces unnatural driving. They say they may tweak it. If they do, the first thing I think they may tweak is the hard braking - I really do think it is far too easy to trigger it. 0.3g is actually a decent slowing force, but I do think transient decelerations often exceed that as people transition to braking. And it's so relatively restrictive that it leads to quite unnatural driving behavior - moreso than any of the other metrics. Maybe make it 0.4g? Unsafe following, which isn't even weighted very much, is not hard to do decently at, and it's great to enforce. Aggressive turning is a little sensitive, but it's also not all that punitive. I do feel like they could potentially increase the g limit there slightly as well, maybe to 0.35g. I've had a couple of minor dings there and I really can't figure out where they came from - I think primarily they came freeway interchanges where I was below the speed limit (but probably above the yellow recommendation), but I'm not sure.

It is a little weird that they only look for intervals (times) exceeding a certain g value, and do not look at the peak g values, etc. Maybe it all comes out well correlated, but it seems like there could be a better way to grade people's smoothness and measure the real panic of a stop (which is one thing they're trying to check I assume). Maybe it just turns out that lower g's are well correlated with people that don't speed, so maybe it all makes sense.

Still, I'm not convinced it's optimally balanced, and it sounds like Tesla isn't ready to call it optimal either.

It does sound like from others (at this point) that AP use masks all of the traffic lights (I guess there is still uncertainty but certainly a few people say it takes care of it), so that would take care of most hard braking, but it is kind of a bit silly as using AP in those situations is kind of annoying.
I've read from some people that AP does still ding you. At least from the visible score in the app. Whether or not they delete those scores later, we don't know. I've been disengaging autopilot with the stalk before coming up to a light to prevent its hard braking.

Can anyone confirm that AP use isn't showing up in the app. I currently have 100, so u don't have the balls to try it myself.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does the scoring is running:

- all the time, or
- when Autopilot (AP) or Full Self Driving (FSD) are engaged, or
- only when Full Self Driving (FSD) is engaged?

Does the scoring started:

- since you downloaded the 'button' and activated, or
- since you own the car, or for the past (?) six months or for the last (?) 5,000 miles.

Does the scoring mode is disabled:

- when the Valet mode, or Service mode, is on?

Reactions: Microterf