Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I would agree that the mix of the metrics? The exclusions of others, and the weird weighting is a pretty wonky and seems like someone with little experience just threw it together.

But who knows maybe it’s based and balances on the current limitations of the beta out there now. For example the whole aggressive turning. This seems to be something that is a problem with the current beta builds. They just edge and edge and edge and then slowly pull away, even with fast oncoming traffic, where any human driver wouldn’t do that.

So if they can get to to drive based on beta limitations instead of safe driving (or safe for humans) then the wiser beta rollout will have less exposure to higher conflicts / accidents.

???

Does the scoring is running:

- all the time, or
- when Autopilot (AP) or Full Self Driving (FSD) are engaged, or
- only when Full Self Driving (FSD) is engaged?

Does the scoring started:

- since you downloaded the 'button' and activated, or
- since you own the car, or for the past (?) six months or for the last (?) 5,000 miles.

Does the scoring mode is disabled:

- when the Valet mode, or Service mode, is on?
While autopilot/Fsd is engaged, they say it won't count against your score. Other than that, it's always counting. If you are at a race track, irs counting. If your valet is driving, it is counting.

Yeah I would agree that the mix of the metrics? The exclusions of others, and the weird weighting is a pretty wonky and seems like someone with little experience just threw it together.

But who knows maybe it’s based and balances on the current limitations of the beta out there now. For example the whole aggressive turning. This seems to be something that is a problem with the current beta builds. They just edge and edge and edge and then slowly pull away, even with fast oncoming traffic, where any human driver wouldn’t do that.

So if they can get to to drive based on beta limitations instead of safe driving (or safe for humans) then the wiser beta rollout will have less exposure to higher conflicts / accidents.

???
I think it is all about the situational awareness.

It's not any different than Driving for efficiency. If you're aware of the lights ahead, and the vehicles around you you save quite a bit on fuel/brake pads. As a side effect of that Driving, there are much fewer things that will surprise you. It really is a good metric for INSURANCE RISK

The downside to that, is that it does nothing to show your reaction time. I'd suspect that people who normally drive like we have been this week do it because they don't have good reaction times, and that is what is needed to correct a bad mistake by FSD Beta software

so in order to mitigate hard braking, you can drive around at night accelerate and use regen to slow down and keep cycling for a few miles? 😂
Be careful, regen braking can also generate enough G's to ding you. I found out on my first trip. On a warm day with a 75% charge, I didn't hit the mechanical brake pedal once, I used 100% regenerative braking and got 3 dings for hard braking. Be careful to feather off the go-pedal and not take your foot off too fast, I guess.

Also, the FAQs in the app contain a lot of information (uncharacteristic for Tesla), including the formulae used to for the calculations. One thing that caught my eye was that no dings will be recorded while you're on AP, except for ignored warnings. So if AP breaks hard or turns aggressively, it won't count against you, but the miles accumulated go toward your total, so one way to boost your score (dilute your mistakes) is to drive with AP as much as you can.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from a company that has "FULL SELF DRIVING" but it's only called that, it's clear to everyone that it's really just L2 autosteer on city streets, it's use is purely as entertainment, not a driver or safety aid in any manner, and the driver is always at fault.

I wonder what Tesla is going to call actual, useful L4 driving? They're using up a lot of their good names pretty early...

Meanwhile the forum is covered with people changing their driving behaviors just to get a better score. Meaning it has nothing to do with safety. Just a name though.
Tesla calls the package full self driving and makes it really clear it is a work in progress. For public facing products nothing in production is called full self driving. You currently have Autopilot, Navigate on Auto pilot and steering on city streets coming soon.

As for the safety score it is a standardized test. People are changing their driving behavior to pass the test. You really think people on this forum really care about their score outside of getting the beta?

Be careful, regen braking can also generate enough G's to ding you. I found out on my first trip. On a warm day with a 75% charge, I didn't hit the mechanical brake pedal once, I used 100% regenerative braking and got 3 dings for hard braking. Be careful to feather off the go-pedal and not take your foot off too fast, I guess.

Also, the FAQs in the app contain a lot of information (uncharacteristic for Tesla), including the formulae used to for the calculations. One thing that caught my eye was that no dings will be recorded while you're on AP, except for ignored warnings. So if AP breaks hard or turns aggressively, it won't count against you, but the miles accumulated go toward your total, so one way to boost your score (dilute your mistakes) is to drive with AP as much as you can.
They still count the miles when you use AP also. I'm thinking they want people to use AP as much as they can. You are going to be testing self driving features so showing you use AP correctly is probably something they want to see.

Reactions: techlogik
Anybody not have their car log a drive? For some reason my car seems to be in chill mode on FSD, it acts no different and is painful the acceleration, but lurches the first 50m upon moving following a car from a stop then lets it run way out and goes like 1mph/sec acceleration. Worse than 4.21.3 AP by far which was already painfully slow.

Anyway, during the drive decided to two button reset to see if that had any effect on the slow acceleration, finished the commute. Says no driving data today in the app?

Anybody not have their car log a drive? For some reason my car seems to be in chill mode on FSD, it acts no different and is painful the acceleration, but lurches the first 50m upon moving following a car from a stop then lets it run way out and goes like 1mph/sec acceleration. Worse than 4.21.3 AP by far which was already painfully slow.

Anyway, during the drive decided to two button reset to see if that had any effect on the slow acceleration, finished the commute. Says no driving data today in the app?
Does your car have a wireless or cell connection? Maybe it is a connection issue.

Does your car have a wireless or cell connection? Maybe it is a connection issue.
Yes it does. I was streaming music via premium connectivity most of the drive. Wonder if the reboot did something during the drive? The acceleration thing is driving me insane...anyway.

Just logged into my teslamate and it logged/showed the drive. Weird.

Last edited:
Yes it does. I was streaming music via premium connectivity most of the drive. Wonder if the reboot did something during the drive? The acceleration thing is driving me insane...anyway.

Just logged into my teslamate and it logged/showed the drive. Weird.
May have been a connection issue when you parked the car. Also if you rebooted maybe it took a sec for the LTE connection to restart. It uploads the drive when you park and leave the car.

I'm beginning to agree with those who believe this whole "Safety Score" system is a bit of a smoke screen. Think about it - presumably they want the best beta testers (those who would use the system extensively and appropriately/safely). So how does the human's ability to drive affect the car's safety when the human isn't driving?

If they wanted to know how safe a driver a person is (as opposed to how safe an FSD monitor they are) - why not do what insurance companies or commercial enterprises do: run a DL check for moving violations and accidents.

The only metric they're using that relates to FSD is ignoring AP warnings. That makes sense. By they have that in-cabin camera - why not use that data to assess if someone is going to play by the rules and pay attention visually? And finally, what about the people who use AP on roads they shouldn't? Tesla surely has data on that. They could have easily created a simulator and make beta applicants take a test on when to intervene. That would have been a better use of dev resources than this arbitrary system.

Reactions: SunCharged
OK, enabled FSD Beta button on vehicle, made several drives, side-loaded android app (4.1.0-663) and have firmware 2021.32.22. Nothing under Updates in app. I've restarted phone, logged of and back on, several times. Is it just time now?

Make sure you're logged in to the phone app as the owner of the car. The score only shows up for the account that bought the car.