Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
without having read 27 pages of this- I assume Telsa hasnt said anything as to what score you need to "pass" yet?

Elon said starting from 100 and work their way down. I assume they would stop once they have enough testers. Maybe anything under 90 may put someone way down the list. The good thing is they'll invite 1000 per day so if there is no Tester cap everyone will get it in 3 or 4 months.

without having read 27 pages of this- I assume Telsa hasnt said anything as to what score you need to "pass" yet?
Elon says they are starting with 100, working their way down (see the tweets).
How do you see the decimal point?
You have to manually calculate each day (you can use the simulator sort of to figure out the thresholds), and then mileage weight the average.

It’s easier to just keep your own spreadsheet with each trip if you actually really care about it (I’m not!).

Basically be below about 0.2% hard braking every day, and keep everything else zero, or accomplish the equivalent with the mileage-weighted formula of each day’s result, and you’ll be good.

Reactions: JulienW
Elon said starting from 100 and work their way down. I assume they would stop once they have enough testers. Maybe anything under 90 may put someone way down the list. The good thing is they'll invite 1000 per day so if there is no Tester cap everyone will get it in 3 or 4 months.
makes me even more infuriated- got a Bullsh!t FCW from an overpass (no lines for FSD on the road either), everything else Ive done perfectly

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think everyone is missing the point on this Safety Score. I don't believe Tesla cares only about how safe a driver you are without the autopilot engaged. The point is to pick the most responsible drivers who are used to driving with Autopilot engaged. These drivers trust the system/software, but remain on alert to take control of the car when it does something screwy. Since it has already been stated that any hard braking, close following and other safety issues do not count against you while in autopilot, I think you should be driving your car in autopilot whenever possible if you want to be part of the FSD beta group. I bet Tesla is monitoring more metrics than simply the Safety Score and puts just as much weight on drivers who utilize the currrent autopilot software for the majority of their drive.

You have to manually calculate each day (you can use the simulator sort of to figure out the thresholds), and then mileage weight the average.

It’s easier to just keep your own spreadsheet with each trip if you actually really care about it (I’m not!).

Basically be below about 0.2% hard braking every day, and keep everything else zero, or accomplish the equivalent with the mileage-weighted formula of each day’s result, and you’ll be good.
So far no hard braking except when a car tuned left in front of me yesterday on AP and had to slam the brakes. No ding.

I have got a couple of Aggressive Turns though I have been very slow and try taking a wider arc and slowing for curves. I live in the middle of the city and it is VERY hard to navigate curves that seem to activate Aggressive Turns even when going below the speed limit without being run over by the "normal" drivers.

I'm beginning to agree with those who believe this whole "Safety Score" system is a bit of a smoke screen. Think about it - presumably they want the best beta testers (those who would use the system extensively and appropriately/safely). So how does the human's ability to drive affect the car's safety when the human isn't driving?

If they wanted to know how safe a driver a person is (as opposed to how safe an FSD monitor they are) - why not do what insurance companies or commercial enterprises do: run a DL check for moving violations and accidents.

The only metric they're using that relates to FSD is ignoring AP warnings. That makes sense. By they have that in-cabin camera - why not use that data to assess if someone is going to play by the rules and pay attention visually? And finally, what about the people who use AP on roads they shouldn't? Tesla surely has data on that. They could have easily created a simulator and make beta applicants take a test on when to intervene. That would have been a better use of dev resources than this arbitrary system.
I believe a big reason for the Safety Score is to keep the NTSB off their backs. It is a way for Tesla to say hey we did something to evaluate people for the beta program. Some of these metrics are good for a self driving monitor also. If you slam on the brakes all the time for instance or you paying attention? Same with the forward collision monitor. I also believe they have multiple motives for the safety score. This is a good way to get it on a large number of cars to get metrics for their insurance.

I think everyone is missing the point on this Safety Score. I don't believe Tesla cares only about how safe a driver you are without the autopilot engaged. The point is to pick the most responsible drivers who are used to driving with Autopilot engaged. These drivers trust the system/software, but remain on alert to take control of the car when it does something screwy. Since it has already been stated that any hard braking, close following and other safety issues do not count against you while in autopilot, I think you should be driving your car in autopilot whenever possible if you want to be part of the FSD beta group. I bet Tesla is monitoring more metrics than simply the Safety Score and puts just as much weight on drivers who utilize the currrent autopilot software for the majority of their drive.
Totally agree with you. The one thing you will most likely get "dinged" for is close following distance which is only tracked above 50mph. Use AP this will never happen. They want you to use AP and they want to see that you pay attention when using it. I bet people that don't use AP will not get the beta also.

Reactions: Raiders
Totally agree with you. The one thing you will most likely get "dinged" for is close following distance which is only tracked above 50mph. Use AP this will never happen. They want you to use AP and they want to see that you pay attention when using it. I bet people that don't use AP will not get the beta also.

I bet you get brownie points for breaking the car out of autopilot from time to time on your drives. This shows that you are paying attention to current traffic conditions and buggy software issues.

While autopilot/Fsd is engaged, they say it won't count against your score. Other than that, it's always counting. If you are at a race track, irs counting. If your valet is driving, it is counting.
It whould be cool if FSD could penalized itself for erroneously behaviour, like phantom braking,
thus improving your score for any error made by the car under FSD !!!

Since only about 1000/100's will be selected on day 1 what does that mean for all of us and the 7 day score. Is it our score from 25th to 1st recorded and reported as final or will it be the last 7 days prior to the next selection? If the latter most are in for a LONG hall fighting the Safety Score.

Reactions: jeremymc7
Since only about 1000/100's will be selected on day 1 what does that mean for all of us and the 7 day score. Is it our score from 25th to 1st recorded and reported as final or will it be the last 7 days prior to the next selection? If the latter most are in for a LONG hall fighting the Safety Score.
The score is a running 30-day score. So I expect that is what will be used.

I just got dinged with FCW for an on coming car in their own lane??? ( and yes, I was in mine)
It was on a little "S" turn kind of jog in the road but I was still surprised by it. I hit the dashcam for kicks but I doubt Tesla cares about my one issue .
I never get FCW warnings and since I have hit the button, I have gotten 3. I keep my setting on medium normally so that is not any different

With those 3 my score is at 94.
Its a bit aggravating but I'm not going to let it get to me...whats the use ???

I requested full self drive beta a few days ago. I have the latest version of the app (4.1.0-663...) and my car's software is up to date (2021.32.22). I've rebooted my phone. I've deleted the app and reinstalled and I've rebooted the car. Still no safety score.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong and what I can do to resolve?