Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive very little lately, and not on highways. Yesterday my score went from 100 to 62, based on one FCW, which was not my fault. Crossed an intersection, traffic, then abrupt slowdown at the next light. Happens. The second light is where large tankers turn on sometimes, and delay/alter traffic, as in my situation yesterday. So, car in front of me suddenly hard-braked, and I was in-process when I got the FCW tone.
2 short drives later, I am back up a bit, to 83, but I am not using AP (didn't think I was supposed to on non-highways) and will continue to drive cautiously and slower than usual. Seems to like if I drive super-slow (to the annoyance of other drivers) but I am anxious to get the 10.1 beta

I'd suspect that people who normally drive like we have been this week do it because they don't have good reaction times, and that is what is needed to correct a bad mistake by FSD Beta software
Nah, I haven't changed my driving habits and have a 99 score currently with 100 miles total. I just like to have very smooth braking and rides in the car. You can judge my reaction times in a worst case scenario (blind corner, highway speeds, car coming head on) based on the link in my sig.

I think folks having a hard time with the scores have generally less situational awareness when driving, which makes for more hard braking events, etc. Good situational awareness should a key factor for being a beta tester, IMHO. It's not about how fast you can react once the situation is already in progress, it's about seeing the situation develop and being prepared to react before the last second.

I'm in a similar situation at .5% on hard breaking.

98 on day 1 - .8 hard breaking
99 on day 2 - .3 hard breaking
100 on day 3
100 today.
all with similar mileage each day. 40-50 miles each.

100's for the next 3 days would average me back up to 99.6 which should round to 100.
So it sounds like I'm right at the threshold, .4 should push me over.

I have got a couple of Aggressive Turns though I have been very slow and try taking a wider arc and slowing for curves.
I got dinged for an aggressive turn yesterday, which I believe was when I had to do a U-turn to correct for Navigate on Autopilot taking the wrong exit. My overall score was unaffected, though.
The one thing you will most likely get "dinged" for is close following distance which is only tracked above 50mph.
I've seen several reports of people getting "dings" on close following on trips that never exceeded 50 mph, so I suspect either there's a bug in the software on this point or it was mis-reported. Maybe the speed trigger is 5 mph or 10 mph, for instance, not 50 mph.
I requested full self drive beta a few days ago. I have the latest version of the app (4.1.0-663...) and my car's software is up to date (2021.32.22). I've rebooted my phone. I've deleted the app and reinstalled and I've rebooted the car. Still no safety score.
Is your phone an Apple iOS device or an Android device? With Android, at least, there are options to delete cached data and all data associated with an app. The latter would require you to log in again. Either might help. There may be something similar with iOS. In Android, go into Settings->Apps & Notifications->See All {x} Apps->Tesla->Storage; the options are called Clear Cache and Clear Storage. I'd try clearing the cache first, and if that doesn't help, clear all the storage.

Speaking more generally, I don't think that Tesla was looking for a perfect way to judge driver safety; they just wanted a way to control the trickle of new beta testers into a broader beta program using some sort of safe-driver-ish metric as the criterion. One might cynically say this was a CYA ploy, in case there are accidents and the company comes under criticism (or even is sued); or maybe they are genuinely trying to limit risk and acting responsibly by doing it this way. In either case, this isn't about fairly allocating the feature to paying customers. It is still beta software, after all -- and "more beta," as it were, than the current Autopilot features. Tesla needs more data before it will be safe to release FSD on city streets to everybody who can afford it. When (not if) people start using this feature the way some irresponsible people use Autopilot on highways (taking naps, driving drunk, etc.), innocent people who don't even own Teslas will be injured or killed. By limiting the beta-test pool, both in numbers and in terms of how responsible their testers are, Tesla is limiting the risk as they improve the software. It's important to remember that the version of the software that some of us will get in a week or so is NOT the finished product, but it will still be controlling machines that weigh 3,500 to 5,500 pounds (plus passengers and cargo). Beta-testing software to control such a device is an awesome responsibility.

For those who are concerned about an "unfair" ding because another driver cut you off or you braked hard to avoid running over a kid who dashed into the street or whatever, my advice is to not sweat it. Unless you drive just a few miles in the initial evaluation period, most dings are unlikely to do more than pull your score down a point or so. (As I understand it, Autopilot disengagements count for more, though; and of course, if you regularly drive through areas where you encounter regular FCW false alarms, that will be a problem.) So if your score suffers slightly in a way you consider unfair, it likely won't affect when you get the FSD-on-city-streets feature by more than a few days -- and as I said, the point of the evaluation at all isn't to be fair to us, it's to minimize population risks (to pedestrians, bicyclists, etc.). The measures are obviously imperfect, but almost certainly better than a random lottery, if the goal is to pick beta testers who are likely to be responsible in their beta testing. Could Tesla have created a better metric? Probably; however, it's also unclear what metric they should be using, if the goal is to minimize negative externalities (that is, property damage, injuries and deaths) with a brand-new technology. They could take years figuring out what metric to use, during which time the software would go untested. That's part of the conundrum of developing self-driving technology generally -- real-world testing involves risks to people who aren't in the vehicles under test, but in the long run, fewer people will be killed by quick development of such technology (if its promises pan out), so quicker testing is beneficial. Tesla's admittedly imperfect beta-tester selection criteria are simply one manifestation of this paradox.

Reactions: T-Racer and Dan D.
I requested full self drive beta a few days ago. I have the latest version of the app (4.1.0-663...) and my car's software is up to date (2021.32.22). I've rebooted my phone. I've deleted the app and reinstalled and I've rebooted the car. Still no safety score.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong and what I can do to resolve?
iPhone or Android? It only works on iPhone (android works on an unofficial version of the app). Make sure your Tesla app is updated, then do a force quit of the app and it should show up.

Yes I got dinged a point for a hard brake on a short drive yesterday that took a point off. Got it back up to 100 though today.
So you had 99 and you now are back to a FULL 100 on the App??? Was under the impression that it was a little like 100% and once you fell below you could never get back to a full 100.

I have 99 and trying to get it back to 100. Just went for >20 miles of HOV Interstate AP driving and still 99. What exactly did you do had how many miles?

Someone else in this thread noted that a reboot nullifies the current drive’s data. Sort of a plan B if your drive goes poorly 😁
Going to agree with this, the reboot had to be the issue due to the chill mode FSD acceleration I'm experiencing, chill/normal, car goes the same speed. Something odd.

Anyway, good idea, you have to avoid something, frontal collision etc...just two button reset near the end before parking, like it didn't happen.

So you had 99 and you now are back to a FULL 100 on the App??? Was under the impression that it was a little like 100% and once you fell below you could never get back to a full 100.

I have 99 and trying to get it back to 100. Just went for >20 miles of HOV Interstate AP driving and still 99. What exactly did you do had how many miles?

It's a weighted miles average over days. if you have 50 miles of 99 on day 1 and 20 miles so far of 100 on day 2, you need to get up to 50 miles of 100 to get to 99.5, which will then show 100 in the app

Yesterday my score dropped to 99 because I had a high hard brake percentage. Probably happened once but was a quick 5mile drive to lunch. It is the only hard brake ding I have had. Score went back up after my drive this morning. I would try to put in miles when there isn't as much traffic if you can and your score will go back up.

I'm beginning to agree with those who believe this whole "Safety Score" system is a bit of a smoke screen. Think about it - presumably they want the best beta testers (those who would use the system extensively and appropriately/safely). So how does the human's ability to drive affect the car's safety when the human isn't driving?

If they wanted to know how safe a driver a person is (as opposed to how safe an FSD monitor they are) - why not do what insurance companies or commercial enterprises do: run a DL check for moving violations and accidents.

The only metric they're using that relates to FSD is ignoring AP warnings. That makes sense. By they have that in-cabin camera - why not use that data to assess if someone is going to play by the rules and pay attention visually? And finally, what about the people who use AP on roads they shouldn't? Tesla surely has data on that. They could have easily created a simulator and make beta applicants take a test on when to intervene. That would have been a better use of dev resources than this arbitrary system.
They want people with situational awareness when they drive. Speed and acceleration and where you position yourself in the lane doesn’t really matter so long as you have the situational awareness to see what’s around you and what is likely to happen based on the behaviors of cars around you, which is probably why they selected the factors they did. If you’re situationally aware, you can generally avoid hard braking for yellows, stop signs, and merging cars because you’re expecting it to happen and have already started slowing more gently in anticipation than doing a last minute brake. And if you’re situationally aware about your route and the street layout, you’re more likely to be in your proper lane and have slowed to an appropriate speed on a turn or a curve. They’re obviously hoping that situational awareness carries over to Beta use, because then you have a situationally aware driver who can intervene immediately because they saw a situation developing and knew they had to be ready.

Whether or not that will be true in practice? Who knows. They can’t really test how someone will use the Beta system since that would involve giving them the Beta system and closely monitoring people individually which would take too much time, so they’re stuck with what they can do. It’s also questionable whether the factors they’re evaluating actually correctly evaluate situational awareness, but I can at least see the reasoning about it. I’m sure they’ll try to refine it as they learn more.

Yeah the safety score is pretty horrible. I got a FCW for someone in front making a right hand turn even though I had no chance of hitting them, hard braking for having to stop when a light turned yellow (I guess I should just run red lights now?), and aggressive turning for driving around a freeway interchange ramp... I don't drive much so those few things have my score down to 80 already.

One thing they also
iPhone. App and phone are up to date. As I said, I did a force quit of the app repeatedly and even uninstalled/reinstalled. No luck.
you also need to be logged in to the primary owner’s account. If you’re sharing the car with your significant other and aren’t logged in as the primary owner on your app, it apparently won’t appear.

Reactions: nvx1977
I think everyone is missing the point on this Safety Score. I don't believe Tesla cares only about how safe a driver you are without the autopilot engaged. The point is to pick the most responsible drivers who are used to driving with Autopilot engaged. These drivers trust the system/software, but remain on alert to take control of the car when it does something screwy. Since it has already been stated that any hard braking, close following and other safety issues do not count against you while in autopilot, I think you should be driving your car in autopilot whenever possible if you want to be part of the FSD beta group. I bet Tesla is monitoring more metrics than simply the Safety Score and puts just as much weight on drivers who utilize the currrent autopilot software for the majority of their drive.

Situational awareness includes stopping for pedestrians, yellow lights, avoiding the stuff in the road - all 3 of which I have to do every day. Having a non-100 score doesn’t mean you don’t have situational awareness and I hope my score of 97 gets me in the program.

I suspect I would have a better score if my drive wasn’t short, urban and full of traffic lights.

Reactions: Raiders
Situational awareness includes stopping for pedestrians, yellow lights, avoiding the stuff in the road - all 3 of which I have to do every day. Having a non-100 score doesn’t mean you don’t have situational awareness and I hope my score of 97 gets me in the program.

I suspect I would have a better score if my drive wasn’t short, urban and full of traffic lights.
Elon has said they are going to add 1000 people a day in order of Safety Score. starting with 100,98,97 etc. I'm sure 97 will get you in eventually. I would like to know how many opted in and also the score breakdown. Would be interesting to know all the numbers.