Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why is there no "official" Android app 4.1 for your driving score yet ? I've never seen this long of a lag btwn iOS and Android on any other app update, and I don't really want to assume the risks of sideloading software to my phone...
I mean, "why"? Because Google is weird, and Tesla doesn't care enough to push it any faster. You can get an APK from an APK-distributing website. There's minimal to no risk in downloading an update this way - in order for the OS to say "do you want to install an update to this existing application", that means the .apk must be signed by the same key that the original version was. Given the nature of signing and cryptography, that means the *only* way the screen can say "do you want to install this update" (vs. installing a new application) is if the .apk file you hold is legitimately and authentically Tesla's creation, in this case. It's not like the PC world where software is free-for-all.

So, there's virtually no risk in grabbing an APK - as long as you safely navigate the website to get to it. Don't fall for those big-button download links. The real links will be smaller and say what version and platform it's for - you want version 4.1.0 or higher (I think 4.1.1 is out now).

That lag between iOS and Android is indeed pretty pathetic and frustrating, and I definitely relate, as a long time Android user. I gave up and went to the iOS dark side recently in part because of this and other functional irritations. I gave up some good features to get iOS :( But my phone has never been so fast and lasted so long on a charge... haha. (and it's an iPhone 8+! Just replaced the battery myself with the help of iFixit)

Last edited:
Has anyone tried opting out (turning off "the button") and then back in? Does it reset your score?

I made the mistake of trusting that AP wouldn't count against me on 200 miles of driving the first couple days and must have had following on too close. Got me a lot of miles at 85-88 score.

Just curious. If we have another 7 days until the next software release, I'd be ok with starting over now that we know what we think we know.

So why is there no "official" Android app 4.1 for your driving score yet ? I've never seen this long of a lag btwn iOS and Android on any other app update, and I don't really want to assume the risks of sideloading software to my phone...
Just an FYI, I did receive 4.1 from the play store and now I have another update pending. I'm kind of scared to click on it though as I appear to be the only one around here who received the update to 4.1 directly from the play store.
Screenshot_20211002-083711.png

Just an FYI, I did receive 4.1 from the play store and now I have another update pending. I'm kind of scared to click on it though as I appear to be the only one around here who received the update to 4.1 directly from the play store.

you're definitely not the only one to have gotten it off the Play Store. It's a rolling release, which means it only goes out to fractions of the population at once.

and please don't be afraid to get this from the OFFICIAL app store lol. I can understand ppl being nervous about sideloading, but come on :)

Kind of comical this whole Beta score and expanded testing possibility. We don’t need to worry about any of this people!

Elon and Tesla still have posted all over your app in the upgrades section and their website that City Street driving is coming later this year!!!

Tesla is going to have this whole thing sorted out in just 3 short months! They don’t need anymore Beta testers because they already think they have the mystery solved. So sit tight then sign up end of December when Elon announces your Christmas present FSD with city street driving!!!! Happy new year!

Thumb down all you want don’t care that is reality!!!

Side bar score went down to 99 after FSD couldn’t figure out how not to slam on the brakes after a car turned to a side street and was 30ft down it yet kept thinking I was going to hit it because a car was sitting past the stop sigh wanting to pull out. Had to disengage and it went fcw. Stupid AI.

My rough estimate is that no more than 15-20% of all Teslas have FSD purchased now. This means we have about 150k or so FSD-enabled Teslas. It would be not unlikely that 100k are interested in getting the Beta, and 70-80k are trying to get it. My estimate is about 4 times higher than yours. We shell see.
The logic that many suspect results in a pool of 20k or so is as follows, as best I understand it

1. 150k may be the global number of cars with FSD globally, not just US

2. Button is only available to US purchasers of FSD

3. US doesn't even have the majority share of cars anymore, so maybe only ~50-70k have the button

4. IRL rates of serious button competition are not as high as represented in these echo chambers

I'm having trouble doing enough "good" braking to cushon moments of "hard" braking. I need immediate feedback. There are a bunch of accelerometer apps out there I'll be testing this one on the way home:

I've read a lot of the posts on this thread, but maybe I missed something. Any advice on how to impove braking numbers? I'm soo close to 99 I can taste it. If I can drive really well, I might be able to round up to 100 by the 8th.
Anyone who requested FSD, got the fsd download?
I assume you mean ‘anybody who pressed the FSD button get the beta fsd download?’ Answer is no as the earliest Elon said it would be going out is Oct 8.

Has anyone noticed, if we let the car brake itself on full regen without touching the brake pedal, can it ding the braking score? I have a feeling it happened to me once or twice, but not 100% sure. What is the experience with the others? Is it safe to leave the regen at "STANDARD" not to ding the score? Let us know.

Reactions: Microterf
Has anyone noticed, if we let the car brake itself on full regen without touching the brake pedal, can it ding the braking score? I have a feeling it happened to me once or twice, but not 100% sure. What is the experience with the others? Is it safe to leave the regen at "STANDARD" not to ding the score? Let us know.
Yep, especially if full regen is applied going down a steeper hill; then BOHICA...
@2021plaid

you're definitely not the only one to have gotten it off the Play Store. It's a rolling release, which means it only goes out to fractions of the population at once.

and please don't be afraid to get this from the OFFICIAL app store lol. I can understand ppl being nervous about sideloading, but come on :)
Good to hear that I'm not the ONLY one. Lol. Guess I was just fortunate and hopefully my good luck will extend to the evening of October 8th! 😁😁😁

I finally got around to testing where to. Or full regen will count as hard braking. I did several 0-60 runs on a flat surface, and when I hit 60 I completely removed my foot from the accelerator and let the car come to a stop by itself. Did not trigger any hard braking. I also tried getting removing my foot from the accelerator at 30 and 45 mph (and it felt like it was braking harder at those speeds) but still no dings for hard braking.

im still convinced there is some scenario where regen will cause a hard braking event (maybe going downhill) but I’m not gonna test it any further.

Traffic Fatality or Hard Braking….

2018 Model 3, FSD, Dual Motor, Long Range, 2021.32.22, 93K miles

Traveling ~70mph in NOA on Rte 80 in PA heading to Penn State, traffic slowing and stopped ahead for road construction and merge to single lane. NOA Slow, Slow! NOA Brake…. Brake NOA Brake! OK, traffic fatality or take a Hard Braking Hit. Held out as long as I could, I slammed on the brakes and took the hit on Safety Score. The car never slowed or braked in NOA. Even Anti lock briefly kicked in. I’m not sure why the radar didn’t pick up the slowing and stopped traffic.

Normally I would have disengaged way earlier, but Safety Score may ding you for manual braking. NOA/AP/TACC’s got this anyway, they’ll slow and stop, NOT! Don’t touch the brake pedal or swerve, you’ll take a hit. We don’t care the system failed, or you had an emergency, you are getting dinged. Sure enough score took a hit.

Ohhh that Pavlov, I never did like him. In my case I’m only doing this to help science and advance a greater good, I’m not doing it for the FSD reward. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it, I don’t even know how to spell FSD, let alone what it is... LOL. So be careful out there and keep those safety scores up.

I have the video of the incident, couldn’t figure out how to load a video to the forum.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Traffic Fatality or Hard Braking….

2018 Model 3, FSD, Dual Motor, Long Range, 2021.32.22, 93K miles

Traveling ~70mph in NOA on Rte 80 in PA heading to Penn State, traffic slowing and stopped ahead for road construction and merge to single lane. NOA Slow, Slow! NOA Brake…. Brake NOA Brake! OK, traffic fatality or take a Hard Braking Hit. Held out as long as I could, I slammed on the brakes and took the hit on Safety Score. The car never slowed or braked in NOA. Even Anti lock briefly kicked in. I’m not sure why the radar didn’t pick up the slowing and stopped traffic.

Normally I would have disengaged way earlier, but Safety Score may ding you for manual braking. NOA/AP/TACC’s got this anyway, they’ll slow and stop, NOT! Don’t touch the brake pedal or swerve, you’ll take a hit. We don’t care the system failed, or you had an emergency, you are getting dinged. Sure enough score took a hit.

Ohhh that Pavlov, I never did like him. In my case I’m only doing this to help science and advance a greater good, I’m not doing it for the FSD reward. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it, I don’t even know how to spell FSD, let alone what it is... LOL. So be careful out there and keep those safety scores up.

I have the video of the incident, couldn’t figure out how to load a video to the forum.
You should have spun the speed wheel down!
The technique of full 1g+ braking is good though since it minimizes the amount of time spent braking.

Related to the above.
FYI, I did the signed APK sideload via APK YT video quick walkthru
And I receive the standard Google Play store update below notification today and installed it without any trouble.
I quickly read about the schedule interface below and then looked for it in the app after downloading. Couldn't find it. Thought I was reading things. Then saw the footnote about 2021.36 being required. Nobody on the pretty large TeslaFI fleet have that even.

F4e6Vxb.jpg

f3zYGIj.jpg

Reactions: FalconFour